Front Suspension Renovation

lexus082

I just ordered just about every part of the front suspension in order to have a new near "Lexus" ride quality.

I ordered 95-96 model Supra control arms, Lexus strut bumpers, Lexus shock mounts, Lexus end links, Lexus stabilizer bar bushings, Lexus shock insulators, and KYB GR-2 shocks from Tire Rack. I took the advice from someone to order the shocks there so if I ever have a problem with them I know the warranty will be valid. Cost more than getting them off of ebay, but I'll have peace of mind since they have a lifetime warranty.

The only things I do not plan on changing out will be the upper control arms and the original springs, but may decide to do so upon inspection.

I also plan to change out the wheel bearings for the front as well. Right now with 180,000 miles on the original suspension the ride quality is very harsh. I will post my results once everything arrives and I can install it. Then I will move onto the rear suspension and will make the same changes to the rear. I will try to add as much detail as I can in the post-install write-up.

Well, I just got done installing the "new" front suspension. The shocks, spring insulators, control arm bushings, upper mounts, stabilizer bar end links and bump stops were all worn.

First, I changed out the shocks with new bump stops, spring instulators, upper mounts. The new shocks stopped the car from bouncing everytime I hit a bump. After installing the kyb shocks, upper mounts, bump stops and spring insulators the ride quality had improved but it was still not up to my standards. Today I installed new 95-96 Supra control arms and new end links. Then I went for a drive and what a difference those new control arms made.

The front end feels like a new car. The only thing is I need an alignment really bad. Now I can feel that the rear end suspension is sloppy (given that it has 180,000 miles on it). So my next move will be to do the rear suspension. Then of course the wheel bearings at a later time. I still have to install the front sway bar bushings.

Condition of old parts: 1 Spring bumper was ok and one of them had a crack/slice in the middle, spring insulators were torn in half, upper mounts were starting to crack and needed to be replaced. The original Lexus oem shocks were completely shot. I compressed the shock with my hand all the way and it took over a minute for the "rod" to decompress (fully extend back out). Lower control arm bushings were free of cracks but I believe the rubber bushings were really soft and worn.

So after spending $1,000 I am happy with the result. It wasn't even fun to drive my car the ride quality sucked so bad. I think once I re-do the rear suspension, get new wheel bearings for all four wheels and new tires and an alignment I should be in relatively good shape for a while.

Also, I wasn't too sure if I would like the Supra control arms. I think if I have to buy control arms again I will go with the supra control arms again. Also, I wasn't sure if I would like the KYB GR-2 shocks, but I was pleased with those also. I have no regrets concerning the parts I ordered. The ride quality is very nice and will only improve with the other things I intend to do.

Well, I just got done installing the "new" front suspension. The shocks, spring insulators, control arm bushings, upper mounts, stabilizer bar end links and bump stops were all worn.

First, I changed out the shocks with new bump stops, spring instulators, upper mounts. The new shocks stopped the car from bouncing everytime I hit a bump. After installing the kyb shocks, upper mounts, bump stops and spring insulators the ride quality had improved but it was still not up to my standards. Today I installed new 95-96 Supra control arms and new end links. Then I went for a drive and what a difference those new control arms made.

The front end feels like a new car. The only thing is I need an alignment really bad. Now I can feel that the rear end suspension is sloppy (given that it has 180,000 miles on it). So my next move will be to do the rear suspension. Then of course the wheel bearings at a later time. I still have to install the front sway bar bushings.

Condition of old parts: 1 Spring bumper was ok and one of them had a crack/slice in the middle, spring insulators were torn in half, upper mounts were starting to crack and needed to be replaced. The original Lexus oem shocks were completely shot. I compressed the shock with my hand all the way and it took over a minute for the "rod" to decompress (fully extend back out). Lower control arm bushings were free of cracks but I believe the rubber bushings were really soft and worn.

So after spending $1,000 I am happy with the result. It wasn't even fun to drive my car the ride quality sucked so bad. I think once I re-do the rear suspension, get new wheel bearings for all four wheels and new tires and an alignment I should be in relatively good shape for a while.

Also, I wasn't too sure if I would like the Supra control arms. I think if I have to buy control arms again I will go with the supra control arms again. Also, I wasn't sure if I would like the KYB GR-2 shocks, but I was pleased with those also. I have no regrets concerning the parts I ordered. The ride quality is very nice and will only improve with the other things I intend to do.

I GOT A QUESTION ON THE SUPRA CONTROL ARMS. Are they better than the lexus or are they the same thing just cheaper because they are toyota? And what do you mean by a spring bumper, cause I have replaced my shocks already and don't know what you are talking about?

From what I have been told the ride is 10% stiffer, b/c they use slightly stiffer bushings. Thats the only difference. And yes they are considerably less expensive then the lexus arms. The spring bumper is also called the bump stop. It prevents the car from bottoming out. Its a black rubber object that fits onto the rod of the shock/strut. It has a hole in the center that the rod fits though. I'm kinda picky about ride quality and the ride quality still very good. Others claim the handling is slighty improved with the stiffer bushings used in the supra arms. I would say its not worth the extra money, but thats just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Did you replace the lower control arms along with the bushings? I was told by dealer I needed to replace the entire lower control arm on the left and right for over $2k, but an independent mechanic said the ball joints on the arms were okay, and he could replace just the bushings for $781. Also, one of the struts is leaking and needs to be replaced...$266. The rack and pinion is leaking...$785. I'm convinced low mileage has little to do with wear, it's just AGE. Any other recommendations while working on the suspension?

I just ordered just about every part of the front suspension in order to have a new near "Lexus" ride quality.

I ordered 95-96 model Supra control arms, Lexus strut bumpers, Lexus shock mounts, Lexus end links, Lexus stabilizer bar bushings, Lexus shock insulators, and KYB GR-2 shocks from Tire Rack. I took the advice from someone to order the shocks there so if I ever have a problem with them I know the warranty will be valid. Cost more than getting them off of ebay, but I'll have peace of mind since they have a lifetime warranty.

The only things I do not plan on changing out will be the upper control arms and the original springs, but may decide to do so upon inspection.

I also plan to change out the wheel bearings for the front as well. Right now with 180,000 miles on the original suspension the ride quality is very harsh. I will post my results once everything arrives and I can install it. Then I will move onto the rear suspension and will make the same changes to the rear. I will try to add as much detail as I can in the post-install write-up.

Did you replace the lower control arms along with the bushings? I was told by dealer I needed to replace the entire lower control arm on the left and right for over $2k, but an independent mechanic said the ball joints on the arms were okay, and he could replace just the bushings for $781. Also, one of the struts is leaking and needs to be replaced...$266. The rack and pinion is leaking...$785. I'm convinced low mileage has little to do with wear, it's just AGE. Any other recommendations while working on the suspension?

I bought new control arms. New bushings are already installed on the new arms. Both arms were $456 for Toyota Supra arms, OEM Lexus arms are $420/side. I did all the work myself. Thats sounds pretty high just to replace the front control arm bushings and $2000 to replace the front control arms is crazy. You can save yourself a lot of money if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. How many miles are on the car?

alright for all of yall to know Daizen makes a control re bushing kit first you need to make sure your joints are all still good and then if they are order the bushing kit it's alot of work and time but it's way better to spend 150$ on a bushing kit then 500$ on control arms