94 Es 300 Shifts Poorly With Headlights On

ryder51

When I turn on the headlights on my 94 ES300, the low gear shifting from complete stop is rough and seemingly almost out of gear. If I go to Drive 2 the problem is less pronounced or seemingly gone. Any ideas. Otherwise all shifting normal until I Turn on lights.

I think my '95 does the same thing... I've never noticed it correlated to the headlights, but now that I read this, I think the headlights have been on each time it's done the rough shift... and it's only in the lower gears... it's like it has a shift-kit or something for racing... a nice hard 'snap' of a shift. Weird

I would look at the wiring for the taillights and make sure it is not activating the reverse lights with the parking/taillights on only then check with the headlights also on. If it is on even slightly as it will send a signal in reverse back to the tranny and make it act weird.

Also check your alternator and battery plus the grounds for bad parts or grounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I would look at the wiring for the taillights and make sure it is not activating the reverse lights with the parking/taillights on only then check with the headlights also on. If it is on even slightly as it will send a signal in reverse back to the tranny and make it act weird.

Also check your alternator and battery plus the grounds for bad parts or grounds.

There are two cables on the throttle body. One is from the gas peddle and one goes to the tranny. If you loosen the tranny cable (move the cable in more) This allows the trans to shift at a lower rpm. and it will shift smoother , At least mine did.

• 2 weeks later...