Is 350 Adaptive Headlights

RDE

My 2007 IS 350 has the HID Adaptive headlights that turn with the car's front wheels. I've noticed that on mine, the low-beams do not reach out in front very far - far less than on any vehicle I've driven before. This is somewhat unnerving as frequently, it is harder to see curves coming up without really straining. Has anyone else noted this? Is the distance they reach out dealer adjustable?

Thanks,

Russ

My 2007 IS 350 has the HID Adaptive headlights that turn with the car's front wheels. I've noticed that on mine, the low-beams do not reach out in front very far - far less than on any vehicle I've driven before. This is somewhat unnerving ...

Russ,

I have an '07 250 with HIDs and noticed exactly the same thing. Driving with low beams on a dark road, the edge of the beams is very distinct and seems to quickly drop off into darkness. As you note, this seems quite different than any other car I've driven.

I plan on having this checked by the dealer at the 5K service.

Cheers,

RJM

If the tops of the headlight units look like the one in the attached diagram, then you can manually adjust the height. Use a standard phillips screwdriver to turn the little cogs.

I adjusted mine about 1/2 inch above the line called for in the PDF.

Thanks. I'll probably have the dealer do it. This was the first time I opened the hood - just to find practically the entire engine covered by those plastic protectors! Seems like quite a job just to get them off. I'm sure I'd break a few plastic tabs just trying to get them off.

Russ

Those OEM plastic fasteners are easy to break. I replaced mine with a type that holds up to being removed multiple times. Once you've had the covers off a time or two, it goes pretty fast.

If the dealer goes by the measurements, you should see an improvement. The lights can be too high or too low, each making a problem seeing the road. Gotta get em just right. :)

If the tops of the headlight units look like the one in the attached diagram, then you can manually adjust the height. Use a standard phillips screwdriver to turn the little cogs.

Interesting pdf! Was that 1/2 inch at 9.84 feet, or 25 feet? Did you notice a great improvement on the road, afterward? How many turns do you estimate it took to move it 1/2 inch?

I'm definitely going to mess with mine; my low beams are pretty bad.

Thanks.

Interesting pdf! Was that 1/2 inch at 9.84 feet, or 25 feet? Did you notice a great improvement on the road, afterward? How many turns do you estimate it took to move it 1/2 inch?

I'm definitely going to mess with mine; my low beams are pretty bad.

Thanks.

1/2 inch at the 9.84 ft. I have the marks on the garage wall and a spot marked on the floor to set the distance. I can make a quick check by just driving into the garage. I think lot of cars are shipped with the lights set too low based on the number of complaints I've seen. Just setting to spec makes a big difference. It takes several turns of the screwdriver to make much difference, but you don't want to over do it. It's best to cover one of the lights with a cloth while adjusting the other one. I set the right side a little higher than the left and it helps a lot to see road signs, etc.

I've always been picky about headlight alignment and usually end up with the best for vision, without getting flashed by other cars on the road. That's kinda the ultimate test. Set the lights and then go out and drive at night, then set again if need be. Probably 8 out of 10 cars on the road need their lights adjusted. Most people just don't pay much attention to that, and I doubt that most car dealers actually check during predelivery inspection.