Replaced Engine In My 92 Es300

Hey all!

I just got my car back late last week after getting a rebuilt engine installed. The car had been out of commission for a few months while I saved up and found a place to do the work at a somewhat reasonable price!! I couldn't believe what people wanted to charge for that job!

At any rate, I found a place here in Phoenix that did it for me. They did a fully rebuilt engine, including towing from my house about 15 or so miles, and it took about a week for them to do it, even though they HAD the car for 3 or so.. I had told them to keep it as long as they needed to as I didn't need the car anytime soon anyway.

I don't really know if I am allowed to do a "commercial" for the company, but if anyone is in the Phoenix area and is interested in a place to take your Japanese car not just Lexus, email me and I will give you their info.

The whole bill was $1508.00.

Martin

Nice to hear it all went smoothly, and it's always good to plug a business that treats you right.

Now, I've always been curious, why would one do an engine swap, rather than rebuild the existing engine? Did something catastrauphic happen to the engine? Is it cheaper? I just can't image what would go bad that was so destructive that it's better to put in a new engine... or is the idea of fatigue and miles on the current engine that warrants replacement?

Hey all!

I just got my car back late last week after getting a rebuilt engine installed. The car had been out of commission for a few months while I saved up and found a place to do the work at a somewhat reasonable price!! I couldn't believe what people wanted to charge for that job!

At any rate, I found a place here in Phoenix that did it for me. They did a fully rebuilt engine, including towing from my house about 15 or so miles, and it took about a week for them to do it, even though they HAD the car for 3 or so.. I had told them to keep it as long as they needed to as I didn't need the car anytime soon anyway.

I don't really know if I am allowed to do a "commercial" for the company, but if anyone is in the Phoenix area and is interested in a place to take your Japanese car not just Lexus, email me and I will give you their info.

The whole bill was $1508.00.

Martin

Just curious; but since the 92-93 had a steel block engine; wouldn't it make better since to rebuild the original?

Hi Martin,

I had the same problem about a month ago. I was driving down to TX and the car just lost power, stalled and died. turns out I blew a Head gasket. I had it towed back to Ks to my mechanic and he explained it was useless to just repair the Head gasket since the engine was already knocking. So He suggested getting a rebuilt or reused engine which I agreed to and got it swapped with an engine with lesser "guaranteed miles". The whole job cost me $2000 since I also got a new radiator installed too and other peripherals. Men you can't believe like you said what this shops especially in TX are asking for in term of price. But luckly I had a good mechanic back home it runs like a top.