Powering Equipment Off The Rx400 Battery

I'm assuming if I plug a cigarette lighter adapter into the power port that I would be powering off the main battery of the car, is that correct?

I fly model helicopters and need probably 20 amps to charge them. over the course of an hour. Will the battery stand up to this and will I still be able to start the car? Considering the car is a hybrid, I'm guessing this should be no problem?

you would be taking the energy from the main battery in the front. I would probably charge the helicopters while the car is running, like when your driving to the place your going to fly them, or at least charge most of it with the engine running. Draining it is a bit dangerous, ive had battery troubles with my RX before.

you would be taking the energy from the main battery in the front. I would probably charge the helicopters while the car is running, like when your driving to the place your going to fly them, or at least charge most of it with the engine running. Draining it is a bit dangerous, ive had battery troubles with my RX before.

yes, but in the 400, I assumed I'd be using the battery that does the electric motor?

Robl45, the hybrid batteries operate at 650 volts so I doubt that they participate in any of the accessory jacks. And (don't ask me how I know this) if you leave an interior light on and discharge the 12 volt battery, the drive batteries do not contribute to engine starting.

Tom

right, that is true, but I can just leave the 400 in ready mode and it can start when it needs to in order to recharge the battery. What bothers me is I noticed 100 watts max or something like that on the accessory plug. 12 volts x 20 amps is 240 watts, I guess I can't use the acessory plug?

Yes, I would agree, the accessory plugs are probaby not designed to carry so much current (probably fused at 10 or 15 amps). You could always wire your own cigarette lighter plug directly to the 12 V battery (with an appropriate fuse) I guess, and I'd assume that the management system would start the engine as necessary to maintain the charge.

Tom