Does The Sludge / Gelling Reoccur Once Fixed By Lexus

gurubaba

Hi,

My 99 ES300 with about 72K miles on it had the Oil pressure light show up. The long and short of it is that the dealer diagonized a gelling problem and is fixing the car as Lexus per warranty.

My concern is that will this problem reoccur, with the routine 3-4K oil changes I do. I am not sure if they (can) fix anything that would change any existing internal engineering, for this problem to go away. I assume they are just replacing the worn out internal engine parts, which does not fix the original cause. So I am concerend that this will just reoccur in a few more years, and I won't have any warranty to back me up that time.

Am I correct in my rational? Any comments, thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

guru

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I have an 2000 and mine was done a few years ago and it still happens to this day. I took it back and they wouldn't redo the work. It seemed like the engine got worse - more oil consumption, even though I had started using synthetic oil and changing it regularly. Maybe I just have a lemon....good luck. My car now has 166k on it.

I agree with steve here. I think if you use a good oil and change it out per the book, as steve noted, (and change PCV etc) you will not have any issues. But that is me; coming from a 98 sludge prone model with zero sludge. More sure way is to pull the valve cover and look or do an oil test.

Mairella - Sludge can have more oil consumption but that is not the tell all. What am I saying is that if you have more oil consumption, do not think (BAM) you have sludge.