1998 Ls 400 Parking Lamp Question (dumb Owner)

Jeffrey Davis

This evening I was parked in front of a plate glass window and noticed that I had no lights on in the front when I turned the parking lights on. There were lights on in the rear and all the other lights in the front are working, head upper and lower, turn and fog but no parking lights.

My question is which of the lights are the parking lights in the front and what fuse controls them?

The owners manual shows them as being part of the headlamp cluster but I only see the 2 headlamps.

Is it one of the headlamps but a lower wattage?

Or is it the turn signal although it only has 1 filament?

If it has any bearing on the matter I replaced the left lower headlamp yesterday, but I really don't know if the parking lights were working before then.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

post-2157-1166804746_thumb.jpgThe front "parking" lights on my similar 00 LS are the small clear bulbs you can see in cutouts in the reflectors of the outside main headlights. On the driver side, the cutout is at about the 10 o'clock position.

The replacement guide on www.sylvania.com indicates that the bulb number for the "Parking light" is 2825.

These low wattage clear lights are called "city lights" in Europe since that is all that used to be allowed at night the cental parts of some cities.

Jeff, on my 95, when one of my exterior bulbs goes out, no matter where it is, I get a warning light on the dash that looks like the back of my car with vertical lines extending out. Do you not have the same type of setup?

The front "parking" lights on my similar 00 LS are the small clear bulbs you can see in cutouts in the reflectors of the outside main headlights. On the driver side, the cutout is at about the 10 o'clock position.

The replacement guide on www.sylvania.com indicates that the bulb number for the "Parking light" is 2825.

These low wattage clear lights are called "city lights" in Europe since that is all that used to be allowed at night the cental parts of some cities.

Thanks!, I found the lights. I'll check the bulbs but I'm afraid that it is more than that because both are out.

• 4 weeks later...

The front "parking" lights on my similar 00 LS are the small clear bulbs you can see in cutouts in the reflectors of the outside main headlights. On the driver side, the cutout is at about the 10 o'clock position.

Thanks!, I found the lights. I'll check the bulbs but I'm afraid that it is more than that because both are out.

One other thing to note: I think for the '98 LS, driving lights (which I presume to be what you are referring to as "parking lights") were not standard equip, nor were they an option. That was one of the changes made for '99+ LS400s. They became standard equipment then..which is why you'll see a lot of LS400s of this generation w/ daytime running lamps..and you thought yours were out.

• 11 years later...
On 10/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, Af TWITCH said:

Do the running lights have a separate fuse from the headlights? My headlights work fine. Just the clear lights next to them do not work

There is no separate fuse.  Have you checked the bulbs?  My first (1990) LS400 had similar running lights outboard of the headlights and I went through quite a few bulbs in the 13 1/2 years I owned it from new to 2003.