Conventional Tires Vs Rft Tires

Gary Naskrent

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '06 SC430 and am interested in switching to non-run flat tires, but I am concerned about the lack of a spare. Is the designated tire area in the so-called trunk designed to be large enough for a regular-sized tire w/wheel?

• 2 weeks later...
Just replaced the runflats on my 06 SC430 with 7000 miles on them. Used Michlin Sport AS. Unbelievable difference. Rode like a truck before. Followed every groove in the highway. I questioned why I bought the car because of the ride. It a new ballgame now. Just love it....Have order Conti's small aircompressor and tire repair liquid for an emergency.

Hi, did you have to replace the entire wheels when you made the change?

• 4 weeks later...
Just replaced the runflats on my 06 SC430 with 7000 miles on them. Used Michlin Sport AS. Unbelievable difference. Rode like a truck before. Followed every groove in the highway. I questioned why I bought the car because of the ride. It a new ballgame now. Just love it....Have order Conti's small aircompressor and tire repair liquid for an emergency.

Was it necessary to replace the wheels when you changed over to the Michilins? Also, any trouble with the tire pressure indicators? I also have an 06 SC 430...would love to improve the ride.

did you ever get a reply to this? I am looking to do the same thing

Was it necessary to replace the wheels when you changed over to the Michilins? Also, any trouble with the tire pressure indicators? I also have an 06 SC 430...would love to improve the ride.

I exchanged my runflats for non-runflats two months ago. It was a simple tire change. The wheels continue to be used and the tire pressure indicators work just fine.

There are some runflat systems that use special rims, but this is not one of them.

The ride is 200% better (maybe 220%) :lol: . The car now drives like a luxury/sport car not a conistoga wagon.

When I originally test drove the car I was ready to eliminate it as a possible purchase option because of the harsh ride. Then I checked the forums and took a drive in one that had non-runflat tires. That made all the difference in the world.

Need to replace my tires on a 2002 SC 430. Thinking about going to non-RFT. Anyone using non-RFTs? If so, happy with your choice of manufacturer and decision to go non-RFT? Manufacturer name? Anyone using less than the "Z" rated tires recommended by Lexus?

I also went with the Conti extreme contact and couldn't believe the difference. Great tire.

the azz

• 1 year later...

I replaced my run flats, with BF Goodrich Z rated conventional steel belted. Very big improvement in ride, noise and handling. When i was negotiating for the purchase of the car i got the dealer to include a compact spare. He didn't supply the whole kit, just the spare. I understand you can buy a proper spare from any Acura dealer. They have one model that comes with a compact spare in the trunk. It fits perfectly on the SC430 and costs considerably less.

:cheers:

Need to replace my tires on a 2002 SC 430. Thinking about going to non-RFT. Anyone using non-RFTs? If so, happy with your choice of manufacturer and decision to go non-RFT? Manufacturer name? Anyone using less than the "Z" rated tires recommended by Lexus?

I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 's. Great improvement in ride. Handles like a normal car, no longer rides stiff and hard. :)

I also put on the PS2's but I have a little more "roadnoise" than I would like. A slight thumping sound at 20mph, then it seems to go away or maybe the thump is now at a much higher rpm and seems to go away. I'm not so sure I don't have a bad tire.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this whole process of considering replacement of the runflat tires. Finally decided a year ago on the Michelin Pilot A/S tires. Had Discount Tire replace them as they were knowledgeable about the Lexus model. Have enjoyed driving without the jarring bumps. An amazing difference vs. runflats. Works perfectly on same rims, easy changeover. And well worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...

Any reply yet? I'm in the same boat with my 2005.

Any reply yet? I'm in the same boat with my 2005.

I have an '06 SC430 and am interested in switching to non-run flat tires, but I am concerned about the lack of a spare. Is the designated tire area in the so-called trunk designed to be large enough for a regular-sized tire w/wheel?

Hi Chet,

You will not have the room for a 'regular sized spare tire.' Open your trunk, start pulling up 'stuff' and you will see the 'hole' for the compact spare tire ( that virtually no SC430 came with ).

I just replaced my RFT's with Michelin Sport A/S + tires and it makes a world of difference.

I am now in the market for a compact spare. I've got some potentials but nothing purchased yet.

Also, my tire pressure measuring system seems to be working just fine; at least I am not getting any nasty signals.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Jerry Baumchen

Beaverton, Oregon

PS) I think that up-post I listed all of the parts necessary if one wants to go the whole parts process.

• 3 weeks later...
I replaced my run flats, with BF Goodrich Z rated conventional steel belted. Very big improvement in ride, noise and handling. When i was negotiating for the purchase of the car i got the dealer to include a compact spare. He didn't supply the whole kit, just the spare. I understand you can buy a proper spare from any Acura dealer. They have one model that comes with a compact spare in the trunk. It fits perfectly on the SC430 and costs considerably less.

What type Acura spare tires fits on a SC430? Is it the TL spare? How much cheaper is a Acura spare tire than an OEM Lexus?

• 1 month later...

I installed the Bridgestone Potenza non-RFT and what a difference. The car drives terrific! I also spent the money on the Lexus spare tire kit and got it on EBay from a Lexus dealer in Dallas for ~$450. To me it is worth the money in peace of mind and since the truck is basically useless with the top down I don't feel it was a big deal to lose the little space it had.

Good luck in your tire choice but I am very happy with the Bridgestone tires @$900 installed. I bought them from America Tire which was less expensive than online Tire Rack after all said and done.

Since my SC430 is a 2002 now I would like to find a deal on chrome 2006 or newer wheels! Sure would look better.

I installed the Bridgestone Potenza non-RFT and what a difference. The car drives terrific! I also spent the money on the Lexus spare tire kit and got it on EBay from a Lexus dealer in Dallas for ~$450. To me it is worth the money in peace of mind and since the truck is basically useless with the top down I don't feel it was a big deal to lose the little space it had.

Good luck in your tire choice but I am very happy with the Bridgestone tires @$900 installed. I bought them from America Tire which was less expensive than online Tire Rack after all said and done.

Since my SC430 is a 2002 now I would like to find a deal on chrome 2006 or newer wheels! Sure would look better.

Hi sswan,

I tried sending you an email but no luck. I have some chrome wheels I would like to get rid of.

I am at: jerrybaumchen(at)verizon(dot)net

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Also would like to communicate with you about your spare tire kit.

• 2 months later...

Replaced the runflats with the Bridgestone Turenza Serenity. Fabulous results. Very quiet, smooth ride with excellent handling. Highly recommended. Only 800 miles to date so no report on wear. Will post at next rotation.