Walmart Brand Synthetic Oil

rexlex

WalMart Brand is $12 for 5 qts. versus $23 for Mobil 1

Is there really much difference in product?

How often should I change my oil if I drive about 400 miles/month?

thanks

Last things first, you should change your oil somewhere between 4000 and 5000 mi if you use synthetic oil IMHO. Also IMHO you're nuts to use dino oil in an RX since they run so hot normally. At the rate you mention of 400 mi per month you'll end up changing your oil about once a year, $23, $25, even $30 is just not that much money to spend once a year to know you're engine is being protected properly. Also, you should invest in a top-notch oil filter as well since it may be sitting on there for a year, spend the $10 and get the Mobil1 filter.

thanks

Last things first, you should change your oil somewhere between 4000 and 5000 mi if you use synthetic oil IMHO. Also IMHO you're nuts to use dino oil in an RX since they run so hot normally. At the rate you mention of 400 mi per month you'll end up changing your oil about once a year, $23, $25, even $30 is just not that much money to spend once a year to know you're engine is being protected properly. Also, you should invest in a top-notch oil filter as well since it may be sitting on there for a year, spend the $10 and get the Mobil1 filter.

Fwiw, I make the same assessment and only use synthetic at about 5k, a few bucks a year to protect an engine worth thousands is well worth it to me but i leave the filter selection up to the dealer or local fast oilchange place that has Mobil1.

No one really answered your question, I too use the Walmart brand synthetic, I do not know who makes it for Walmart, but would be interesting. I also use Mobil 1. Just depends on my expenses for the buying day. I put synthetic in both my RX300 and my Ford F150. My RX300 has 132kmiles and no sign of sludge.

I use the FULL synthetic (not dino) walmart brand. How can that be worse than the conventional oil that many use in their RX all the time? How could it hurt since this 5-10 years ago this would have been a good thing to do to my RX if it were available in Walmart brand?

Since many here use conventional oil in their lexus, even WalMart brand FULL synthetic should be better than regular Penzoil.

thanks

You're a very good candidate for a full synthetic. An engine that runs hot and winters that are very cold. Much wear in any engine occurs at startup so you want that oil circulating quickly especially in those cold winters. I'm anal about wanting the best for my engine and I must agree with those that say spending $20 - $30 a year on an oil change is well worth it. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Also, use a good quality filter (Purolator Pure One) and avoid using a Fram.

• 1 year later...

WalMart full synthetic is packaged by Warren Distibuting. They are not a refiner. They private label fluids for different groups.

If you look at the specs, you will find this is a good product and will serve you well. It is my understanding that their product does come from the Pennzoil/Quaker State group. The additive package may be somewhat different, but that is probably about it.

A very good value.

I bought a case of the Walmart Full Synthetic brand a long while back and I remember a white label on the box that said Quaker State.

thanks

The walmart brand syn oil does not have as robust an additive package as Mobil1. If you only drive 4800 miles per year it depends on your driving style. If some of those 400 miles are freeway then you are probably ok with the walmart supertech. If they are stop and go city driving, I would go with the Mobil1. I have run Valvoline Maxlife blend and Pennzoil Platinum in my rx with great results from both. I change oil & filter at 5000 miles and lab analysis of my used oil shows minimum wear metal levels. You should change your oil at least every 12 months.