My Car Died Yesterday....

Ross W.

I came up to a red light, and I didn't even know it until the light turned green.... hit the gas, and nothing happened. My car idles so smoothly I didn't know a thing. I looked at the instruments and sure enough the warning lights were on, and zero RPM. Threw it in park, and it took three tries to get it going, then it ran okay, but the next three stops I made, the engine was idling at 1,000 RPMs, and the throttle felt weird. It was due for an oil change anyway, so my mechanic checked out diagnostics, and checked the obvious stuff, and everything was okay according to the car. Obviously an event happened, the computer compensated, but never stored a fault. I don't have any faith in my car's self diagnostics anyway. When I first bought the car, the TPS went to zero ohms and that never triggered a code or the CEL.

Last night on the way home the car was fine except for the throttle feeling weird, but there was no loss of power. This morning there was no repeat of the problem, and now the car responds like it always has.

Very strange! Has anyone else had a similar experience with a '93 or '94?

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank, like seafoam it! SEcond if you have never chaged the fuel filter do so now. If it keeps happening then it may be the Computer as many have posted before about problems like this. Also a cleaning of the TB may be in order also if never done it. This is because I imagine your mechanic checked the mass airflow sensor and the air filter, if not done do so also, clean the mass airflow sensor and change or clean the air filter, change if more than 30,000 miles.

CPR

I came up to a red light, and I didn't even know it until the light turned green.... hit the gas, and nothing happened. My car idles so smoothly I didn't know a thing. I looked at the instruments and sure enough the warning lights were on, and zero RPM. Threw it in park, and it took three tries to get it going, then it ran okay, but the next three stops I made, the engine was idling at 1,000 RPMs, and the throttle felt weird. It was due for an oil change anyway, so my mechanic checked out diagnostics, and checked the obvious stuff, and everything was okay according to the car. Obviously an event happened, the computer compensated, but never stored a fault. I don't have any faith in my car's self diagnostics anyway. When I first bought the car, the TPS went to zero ohms and that never triggered a code or the CEL.

Last night on the way home the car was fine except for the throttle feeling weird, but there was no loss of power. This morning there was no repeat of the problem, and now the car responds like it always has.

Very strange! Has anyone else had a similar experience with a '93 or '94?

Put some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank, like seafoam it! SEcond if you have never chaged the fuel filter do so now. If it keeps happening then it may be the Computer as many have posted before about problems like this. Also a cleaning of the TB may be in order also if never done it. This is because I imagine your mechanic checked the mass airflow sensor and the air filter, if not done do so also, clean the mass airflow sensor and change or clean the air filter, change if more than 30,000 miles.

CPR

Funny you mentioned the Seafoam. I added that when I filled up, to a full tank, and I had just over a 1/4 tank remaining on it. The fuel filter was replaced two oil changes ago, and just recently I checked the MAF, and it's perfectly clean, not even any light film of fine dust on it. I checked the throttle body last time I cleaned the air filter, and it's almost perfect. Very few deposits on it, quite unlike the one in LexLS's DIY site! The air filter I'll clean as a matter of course this weekend. I think there's an intermittent glitch in either the MAF, which happened to my sister's '93, but it behaved differently, or the computer. It's probably time to pull it out and replace the electrolytic capacitors, which I understand have a reputation for puking their electrolyte and failing on these cars.

Thanks so much for your thoughts & advice! :lol:

*BUMP* :rolleyes::lol:

On Sat. the 23rd I took the car on a hard run up to Monterey and back, both to see how it behaved on a long drive, and a photo opportunity along the Big Sur coast. Car was happier after the thrashing (but not abused) so the injectors are undoubtedly cleaner. But the car feels a little down on power, the gas mileage has dropped a little, and I'm using more throttle to maintain a given speed than before. Overall the car feels like I'm dragging something heavy. Quite often when I'm getting into the throttle it'll shudder slightly, and about half the time the same thing happens when I'm easing off the throttle as well. At this point I'm thinking the mass airflow meter is going out, even though the computer is not storing any codes (yet!). So far all the sensors check out fine, according to my mechanic, and I believe him. Intermittent problems are of course the worst to track down!

So for everybody on the forum, any more thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!