Odor Coming From Engine Compartment

es300ed

I really could use some help with this one. I have a 96 es300 with 105,000 miles.

A couple of months ago I had an oil change and had the brake system bled. Afterwards I began noticing on odor that smells like exhaust fumes when stopped or driving slowly. The odor doesn't enter the cabin of the car while driving at higher speeds or when I use the air recirculation button.

I had originally thought that oil may have been spilled on the engine during the oil change and would eventually burn off and the odor would go away but that hasn't happened. I don't think it's an exhaust problem because the odor only enters the cabin when the engine is hot.

Any and all thoughts about what might be causing the problem are greatly appreciated.

Ed

I really could use some help with this one. I have a 96 es300 with 105,000 miles.

A couple of months ago I had an oil change and had the brake system bled. Afterwards I began noticing on odor that smells like exhaust fumes when stopped or driving slowly. The odor doesn't enter the cabin of the car while driving at higher speeds or when I use the air recirculation button.

I had originally thought that oil may have been spilled on the engine during the oil change and would eventually burn off and the odor would go away but that hasn't happened. I don't think it's an exhaust problem because the odor only enters the cabin when the engine is hot.

Any and all thoughts about what might be causing the problem are greatly appreciated.

Ed

There's always the possibility that you might have a small bit of oil leaking from your valve covers onto the exhaust manifold. You can sometimes tighten the valve covers, or replace the gasket(s) to stop this leak.

• 4 weeks later...

AMF1932,

Thanks. You were correct. There was oil leaking from both the front and the rear. Gaskets were replaced and the odor went away. Nice call.

Ed

Down here in Australia, an odour from the engine bay usualy means a marsupial such as a kangaroo or wallaby has become lodged behind the fan.

AMF1932,

Thanks. You were correct. There was oil leaking from both the front and the rear. Gaskets were replaced and the odor went away. Nice call.

Ed

Replacing your PCV valve and the grommet it plugs into, as well as the short hose from the PCV to the manifold will go a long way towards ensuring that your new valve covers don't start to leak again for a long time. Cheap insurance and easy to do yourself.

Down here in Australia, an odour from the engine bay usualy means a marsupial such as a kangaroo or wallaby has become lodged behind the fan.

MMMMM..... time for a roadside picnic!

tck...

Hey,

I have the same thing with my 92 es300 with 168000

its your valve cover gaskets that leak oil and it dripps on your hot engine causing it to stink up.

Watch your oil also , cuz it does take some away, and also look all around your engine, if its all greasy thats why, Mine is , and thats how i know.

Hope it helped.

• 5 months later...

I have a 93ES300.

Same problem. I hope this is not a dead post...

there are 'greese' on the engine, just under the cover.

do i have to get any parts to replace... or just tighten things up???

.. =) any instructions ???

Hey,

I have the same thing with my 92 es300 with 168000

its your valve cover gaskets that leak oil and it dripps on your hot engine causing it to stink up.

Watch your oil also , cuz it does take some away, and also look all around your engine, if its all greasy thats why, Mine is , and thats how i know.

Hope it helped.