Newbie W/ An Easy Question

pweber5

Hi guys. I've checked out your site and registered last night, and it's a great source of information. Every car I've owned I've been a member of an enthusiast forum, and I'd never buy a car without one.

I'm looking at a '98 LS400 with 103,000 miles for about $10,000. I've got an '88 BMW 3 series convertible, and the repair items are killing me. I've been debating about getting another car for a good six months, but just haven't found one that I really feel comfortable with. I want a car that will last me a good five to six years that I don't have to put a lot of money into (I could keep my car, but I just don't have the cash to plow $3500 more into it).

Anyway, I started looking at the LS series. I haven't driven one yet, but I'm heading out to look at one after work today. I read through the Buyers Guide, and my question is, does the information apply to the '98s? I know they're gen 2.5, and I haven't found a lot of information about them. Also, I saw somewhere at this site that the gen 2.5s have an interference engine, and that timing belt failure causes bent valves. I can't see any reason why Lexus would change the engine like that, so can anyone give me a concrete answer on that?

Great site, and thanks in advance for the help. :)

I feel your pain with the bimmer. I have an 87 535i that sits in the garage right now because of the expense of maintenance. I paid $5,800 for the car originally and must have spent at least the same amount for repairs (transmission, drive shaft, cat, tires and etc.)

You're not going to go wrong with the Lex if you get a good one and 103K miles is nothing. The driving experience is out of this world. You won't feel the road like you do in the bimmer, but you will feel as if you're riding on a cloud. Good luck!

I have a 1998 LS:

In one year, I have changed oil and filter, tires, one oxygen sensor, strut rod and brackets, air filter, cabin air filter. Then the rest has been driving, driving and driving. The items above none were broken but items the wore out or had to be replaced due to mileage besides the O2 sensor obviously.

Basically one you go Lexus is hard to come out. I have a Nissan and a Pontiac, none of them compare with the Lexus, once you get inside you do not wish to drive nothing else. You will see.

C.P.R

It is tough to beat the LS series...I've been trying to find something I like enough to replace mine with next year...but I keep ending up right back where I've started... They're not a driver's car like a BMW is, but you're not living the brand's name either, which stands for Better Maintain Weekly. The LS becomes like your old baseball glove, and you find that when you're driving something else for a while, be it a new car or old, you smile when you get back into your LS, and that steering wheel moves down into place, and you whisk on down the road. It's very tough to beat...very tough. The only thing you might face at that mileage is a couple suspension parts that have worn out, and are creaking. Anything you buy w/ 100k+ miles is going to have a few repairs needed, unless you find one that has already had them done, which is rare, because if they were already done, then the car probably wouldn't be for sale, as it probably drives like brand new again. When I say a few repairs, if you're a DIY type, you're looking at probably $500-$1,000 in parts. But once you fix it...it's fixed for another 100k miles. You're not going back in to do it again, and again, and again. One thing you want to factor into the price, is the timing belt and water pump service that is done at the 90k mark. Yes, the 98's have that engine, and yes if the belt breaks, you're engine is pretty much done. But, ask the guys here if they've ever had that problem, and you'll see 99.9% will say no. The 90k service is the mother service, and ranges from $750 "indi shop" to $1,500+ at a dealership. I recommend the dealership for this one, even though it's twice as much, simply because if it's done wrong, you're not left standing in line at small claims court, but rather waiting in the luxury lounge at the dealership. Simply take the vin # to the dealership and they'll give you a maintance report history. You can easily see if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced already. If they have, then$10k is a great price!

Coming from a 80's BMW...you'll be in heaven with a 98 LS400...no doubt in my mind.

Thanks for all the replies. I drove the car tonight, and I really liked it. The only car I've driven that comes close to the LS in refinement is the W140 series S class Mercedes (and that thing's a nightmare for maintenace). And the LS is so comfortable--it's like a rolling living room. But it's also very responsive for the type of car it is, and I really liked the light controls.

There were two problems. The first is that the heated seats don't seem to work. They'll switch on, but they don't seem to do anything. I don't know how complex the system is, but it's not a deal breaker. The other thing that bothered me was that the car seemed to have a slightly abrupt throttle tip in. Accelerating was a little like how you drove when you first got your license. I don't know if this is normal for the drive-by-wire throttle, or whether it's a symptom of that part needing replacement (I've read that some are starting to need replacement). I make it sound worse than it is, but it is bad enough to be noticable while driving.

The car's always been local, so I'm going to call the local Lexus dealer tomorrow and see what records they have for the car. I'm also going to check on a couple of places to get a pre-purchase inspection done. I'm still having a hard time deciding whether I should just keep my car or not, since I'd have to take out a loan for the Lexus and the BMW is paid for. But it's good to keep your options open.

On a side note, I also drove a 2002 Acura 3.5 RL, and it wasn't as smooth as my 18-year-old BMW! It wasn't even close to the Lexus. I do have to give BMW credit--I've driven a lot of cars in the past few months, and there have only been two or three I liked better than my car, even with its problems. It's too bad it's so fragile.

EDIT: Here's the ad to the LS I'm looking at.

pweber.... to compare and set your mind at ease about the throttle..... i would suggest you swing by your nearest Toyota dealer and take a new Solaro for a quick test drive, or last year's Camry. You will notice, even brand spankin' new, they have that throttle tip-in as well. My folks bought a 2004 Convertible last December, and 1st thing Pop's noticed....the throttle tip in. Same with friends who purchased 2003 new ES330's, up to the dealership to complain and so forth. So no need to worry about that, it's just the car's flaw, of which is probably only one of maybe three in general, one of which no folding down rear seats when you're $500 in the hole at Home Depot. You'll get use to the throttle issue, and there a few tricks we know here that can help. Plus, your driving style will adopt to it, and you won't even notice it after a few miles. Ask SKPerformance about it, he has it as well, and just adopted to it, as everyone usually does. Drive by wire showed up in 98. If you buy that car, you'll find yourself in the garage doing little things like cleaning out the throttle body plate, etc.... to bring it back to new. The cool thing about these cars, is that it takes just a few minor tweaks to have it right back to new condition. It's not an extensive list. And, you'll be happier than anyone on your block. My car is going on it's 12th year, with 126k miles now. It's had some issues, mainly due to poor ownership skills of previous owner, and my over reactive nature. But when anybody rides in it, they're always amazed it's 12 years old, not 3 or 4 years. And I'm not anal about keeping it clean.

The heated seats....common problem, and most don't work anyway. There is a TSB "Tech Service Bulletin" on the issue, I have it somewhere but can't find it. Do a search for it, and you'll see it.

The car doesn't have air suspension does it? You don't want to mess with that! Trust us, not worth the effort unless you really need it, like it or want it. It's super smooth, but can be quite expensive to repair. You'll know if it has it, as there are two switches on the shifter plate, one above the Pwer/Econ switch.

You might need a car loan, but even still, you'd have a payment like $200 bucks at worst, for a perfect car. Plus, your insurance won't be much of anything, as you could probably hit a tank @90 mph and walk away fine.

Warning: Either invest in a radar detector, or keep your eye on your speed until you get use to the car. You'll be doing 80mph in a school zone one day, and won't even notice it until the blue light special pulls you over.

Cool--all cars have some sort of quirk, and I guess that the throttle tip in is Lexus'. The heated seats are not a big deal, and if I can get them to work in the future, all the better.

The car does not have air suspension. That was one of the first questions I asked the sales manager. I don't like air suspensions and don't think they're necessary.

Heh heh, yeah, I noticed that the car was pretty quick. Once it was warmed up I took it on the freeway and floored the throttle on the onramp. For such a big car, it was gone. Power like that is addicting. :D

Well, that's disappointing. I had a pre-purchase inspection at the local Lexus dealer scheduled tomorrow, and the salesman left a voicemail today saying he'd sold the car. :( There aren't very many other LS400s in the area, so I might have to wait a little while until I find another one. But thanks for all your help. I'll be back.

Well, that's disappointing. I had a pre-purchase inspection at the local Lexus dealer scheduled tomorrow, and the salesman left a voicemail today saying he'd sold the car. :( There aren't very many other LS400s in the area, so I might have to wait a little while until I find another one. But thanks for all your help. I'll be back.

Good luck to your future purchase!

It is good that you are scrutenizing your purchase, you don't want to buy one that hasn't been taken care of.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the power steering pump. I don't know if it was corrected in 1998 but mine is giving me a slight headache.

1995 LS400 Black on Black, 130k miles

So far I have:

1. Flushed Transmission

2. Changed PS fluid (still a leak though...funny as we speak its at the mechanic getting checked out...better fix it quick because the fluid flows directly on the alternator!!)

3. Timing Belt

4. Water pump (do this at the same time as the TB)

5. Oil Change

6. Air Filter

7. Fuel Filter

8. Spark Plugs

9. Replaced the window master switch (salvage yard)

10. Replaced the right rear window regulator

11. Cleaned throttle body

I bought the car from a dealer auction for $6,000 and the PROACTIVE maintenance I have done is about another $1500...so $7500 out the door. The car runs better than everything I have been in!!!! I am 21 and my friends love my car. I can graduate college and not get caught up in some brand new car loan, it is such a great feeling.

Keep your eye out...if u can find one with service records depicting what I have done you just then only have to worry about the suspension. $10,000 seems like a good price if u can get the service worked into it the deal.

GOOD LUCk

Ouch, that kind of stung, huh? But not to worry because when you come across THE one you will be SO happy that this happened today! Have a great Christmas and keep your eyes peeled!

Ouch, that kind of stung, huh? But not to worry because when you come across THE one you will be SO happy that this happened today! Have a great Christmas and keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks! I hope all of you have a great holiday too. There is another LS400 in the area, but its a '95 and I like the styling of the '98s better. They look more aggresive. I would go look at it anyway, but I almost bought a car from the dealer with the Lexus, then backed out when they had lied to me about several important things regarding the deal. I don't want to go back there, and they probably don't want to see me either. So, I'll just wait.

EDIT: Here's the other one I like in my area: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=230067881177. Like I said though, I didn't have a good experience with that dealer, so I probably won't be going to see it.

Thanks! I hope all of you have a great holiday too. There is another LS400 in the area, but its a '95 and I like the styling of the '98s better. They look more aggresive. I would go look at it anyway, but I almost bought a car from the dealer with the Lexus, then backed out when they had lied to me about several important things regarding the deal. I don't want to go back there, and they probably don't want to see me either. So, I'll just wait.

EDIT: Here's the other one I like in my area: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=230067881177. Like I said though, I didn't have a good experience with that dealer, so I probably won't be going to see it.

Seems soooo clean, almost too clean/ I've heard to be careful when the cr is too clean, especially the enginer (powerwashed)....I think its a pinned thread that says that.

Also see if the 90k maintenace was done. 8900 or whatever would ne a decent price if it was maintained under the hood like it was on the outside, in my opinion.

If are going to buy, buy a 97 and up. 95 has darkened display issues. 96 has another issue. 97 is pretty good so is 98 and up. Even the 97 have some minor problems look at Edmund's for more info. Second just take the VIN to the Lexus dealer see what they have done to the car, the used car dealers just want to sell you a car without thinking of consequences with some rare exceptions. Never worry about money if you come back to the dealer or not, they just want the sale if the price is good for them, they become the best of friends. The car in the photo looks great but I just would not buy a 95, but if you are so inclined other than the display issues they should be ok.

CPR

I disagree on the darkening display issue on the 95's. From what I have seen, that has been an issue for the 90-94 series mainly. But, being that 95 is the 1st year of the gen 2 series, it is possible for some of those bugs in the series 1 to come over to the series 2, especially in the 1st year. However, I have not had an issue with mine, and I don't think Blake has with his "270k miles I think, maybe more?". The big issue with the 95 and 96's is the computer. Some models had bad computers which would drop the fuel supply to the engine too quickly when you took your foot off the gas, which would result in a pretty violent buckeling effect at 40-60 mph range. Mine had it bad, which ultimatly resulted in a damaged drive-shaft. But, you can easily check the computer by the vin#. Post up a vin, and one of us can probably tell you if it's in the model range of the old computer.

That 95 you posted up looks great! I think the lower grey side skirts might be repainted, as to me it looks a little too bright. But, I could be wrong, and even if it were, no big deal because quite a few of them have had this done. The front of those air dams chip pretty easily after a while "road rash" and to fix it, you have to paint it. Some have just repainted the entire skirt to make it blend. I would not be concerned if the car seems too clean. Just run your car-fax report, run the vin# at the dealership and see if anything pops up. The paint on this series is pretty soft, especially the black paint "mine", but the trade-off is the ability to really make the car shine like new again, with a simple wax job: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=27799

The 98+ model years have 30 more horses under the hood, and an additional gear "5 speed instead of 4". I'm not knocking the 95-97 series, as I preffer their looks over the 98-00 series. I also like the 4 speed better because it doesn't shift around, just press the peddle and the car accelerates, not down shift. But, it's also a bit louder at 80mph too. And is sprung a bit softer, so you get a little wandering around in crosswinds. However, if the 90k service was done, and it wasn't wrecked, has correct computer, then that car would be fantastic! I would buy it myself.

Either way, you won't go wrong with the LS series in general. The one thing you've probably noticed on here, is that the guys with the 90-94 series love them the best, the guys with the 95-97 series love them the best, and the guys with the 98-00 series, love them the best. What that means is that no matter what series you buy, you're gonna love it! Infact, if there's anything you'll hate about the car, is the simple fact that it spoils most other cars out there. Once you've had an LS, it's VERY tough to accept owning anything else. Especially when you've paid less than a Kia for it. That's the gem...best car for pennies....can't go wrong there.

I would say...wait for the 98+ you want. The extra 30 hp, VVT engine, and extra 5th gear. Plus, you like that styling better. They're out there, just gotta hunt a bit.

PS: That little bump above the air bag on the passenger side...don't worry about it...for some reason the 95 and 96 series do that over time. Mine is that way, and Blake's is too. Infact, when I look at these years, I actually look for the bump, which tells me the airbag has not been repacked.

The bad lcd for the gen 2 cars is the stereo LCD, and it is most certainly not exclusive to the 95-97 cars. A LOC member with a 98 or 99 tipped me off on Mikado Tech because he used them to replace the stereo lcd in his gen 2.5 LS. I agree with Rob (I've got 286k miles. ;) ), the 95-96s don't have any special problems that any other LS won't have other than the computer problems, and they should probably be all fixed by now (my computer was fixed back in '97 according to my dealer.). I really find it quite humorous when people start saying that one year LS is more reliable than the other. Based on all of the threads I've read on the Lexus forums, starters, bushings, lcds, power steering pumps/racks, oil leaks, etc. they're all fair game (and usually inevitable.) on ANY year LS400, especially once they are 10+ years old.

Good luck finding an LS. I drive quite a bit and am on the east coast. I'm frequently out and about driving to heavily populated areas like Norrthern NJ and NYC. I rarely see any LS's on the road at all.