Accidental Diesel Fueling!

rustie

This may sound funny...and I did laugh for a short while, but my daughter pumped 9 gallons of diesel into her empty 2004 RX330 before she realised the nozzle was GREEN! I was only able to get a small hose down 50" before I hit the same obstruction over and over in the Lexus' convoluted, small diameter fueling pipe (anti shipon screen?) So, I was unsuccessful in removing ANY of the offending diesel. Thought I'd next try to find the fuel filter and remove it to allow the pump to push the diesel out, but no luck finding that either (only an in-tank filter?) Any suggestions on either a successful siphoning method or where the filter may be (which propably needs replacement now)....and IF that's the best idea short of removing the tank (uuuugggghhh!) HELP!!! :cries: :cries: :cries:

I did a quick Google search ("accidentely put diesel in my car") and a number of results appeared.

Here is one: http://blogs.tech-recipes.com/qmchenry/200...our-gas-vehicle

I didn't read it completely but it looks like someone's blog. At any rate, it will probably all depend on how far she drove after refueling. I hope it was just a short distance. Obviously, I wouldn't even start the car until the problem is mitigated.

Best of luck... hope it won't cost too much. :(

Diesel nozzles are bigger than gasoline nozzles. It wouldn't have fit into the filler neck. How did she pull that off?

Unfortunately, unlike a GM or Ford product....or almost any domestic model that has a fairly flat faced, reduced size fuel entry hole, the RX330 literally has a stepped (almost funnel-like) "NON-fool proof" reduced entry hole that will EASILY allow the larger diesel nozzle to be placed up against it for a leak free way of pumping diesel or any other incorrect fuel source into the tank.... :blink::blink::blink:

I would have never thought of it until my daughter tested their unique "restricted" fueling method with her very direct approach....and she was extremely successful without any extra spray leakage or dripping whatsoever. Leave it to the uneducated to find a way around any possible restrictions, huh? Toyota's "better idea" I'd say! Even though my daughter wasn't too damn bright, these "Toyota engineers" weren't either. Why make it almost funnel shaped to begin with I ask....:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

The reduced diameter flat domestic entry hole precludes any possible seal by a larger filler nozzle....and would spray profusely with no possible method to seal the entire 360 degrees without some substantial leakage. Oh well, ya live and learn (from other's mistakes sometimes!)..... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Funny aside, the only thing that caused her to stop fueling with the new low sulphur diesel was the cost per gallon....which she obviously didn't see until she looked back at the pump and saw the price....at which point she had already pumped 9 gallons of the stuff.

Well, couldn't get any out, so the best thing I could do was put as much gas into the tank as possible....another 8.5 gallons (yes...the tank IS that big actually). So with a nearly 50/50 mix, the car started very reluctantly....with a little coaxing from a spray bottle with gas right into the throttle body (after the air cleaner) by simply removing a clamp. It did smoke, but once it warmed up, it would run, but with a very reduced power level obviously (very lean in fuel...with very little added combustion by the diesel).

I guess because it was the lower sulphur diesel, once warmed up, it no longer smoked one bit! Really hesitated from a full stop, but once rolling it was ok if you didn't expect more than 65 mph.....or try to climb any hills. It never protested with any detonation, but then again, I drove it as if I had an egg under my foot...and never went over 70 mph.

Well, after about 150 miles of freeway driving, I was able to pump another 7 gallons of premium into the RX....which made a WORLD of difference...now diluting that initial 9 gallons down to just a few. The car ran as well as ever, and seems to be back to it's old self for all intents and purposes.

Funny stuff indeed!

I think that the critical factor here is whether there was an attempt to start the engine with diesel fuel. If not, I'd simply drop and drain the fuel tank and avoid running diesel thrugh the engine and risking cat converter and/or other damage.

Tom

I think that the critical factor here is whether there was an attempt to start the engine with diesel fuel. If not, I'd simply drop and drain the fuel tank and avoid running diesel thrugh the engine and risking cat converter and/or other damage.

Tom

too late he already drove over 150 miles... good luck with that, driving that diesel through your system was a pretty risky move....

I concur...huge repair bills ahead. Big mistake.

I think there are extended warranties on the cat and emissions systems......so Lexus may end up picking up the tab if a component fails or if it fails ipsection.TAKE it to LEXUS for them them state inspection so that if there is a problem they will have to repair the issue. They will only know the component is failing and not know why if it does fail inpsection. The cat may be 8 years now..haven't read the laws lately.

I have know people that have done this before....once the diesel is out the worst it will probably cause is a possible emission failure. Running good gas through it will eventually clean the system out. It sounds like the injectors are all working or you would have felt the power loss. I'm surprised the car didn't tell you there was a problem with an engine check light on....the sensors should have picked up on this.

I concur...huge repair bills ahead. Big mistake.

I don't agree with the "huge repair bills ahead" comment for the simple reason that diesel fuel is still a combustible fuel. Yes, the engine will run like hell but I really think that the only thing that you will really want to watch is your catalytic converter. The one thing that I would do is to add premium fuel every time you can fit more than a gallon in. The other thing I WOULD NOT do is to tell Lexus. The fact that the car started and ran, albeit poorly and without a lot of power, tells you that the basic functions are Ok.

Gary

I agree with Gary on this one, stay away from Lexus unless you have a problem. The last thing you want them to do is enter this in their records. This gives them something to blame any possible problems in the future on and they could even use this against you come trade in or sale time. As long as your car is running fine and there is no check engine light there is really nothing they can do for you. Chances are you will never have any problems now that the diesel is out of the system and just let it go at that.