Sirius Sat. Radio

I too am interested in Sirius. I have a 2007 is 250AWD and I WANT MY HOWARD!! I already have a portable unit rigged up, but the whole point was to have NAV integration. Is there anyway to have Sirius installed and still get integration with the NAV???? Last I heard, Lexus was not offering it yet b/c of issues with previous attempts. Also, why have the Shark Fin if you can't use it with any sat radio????

I too am interested in Sirius. I have a 2007 is 250AWD and I WANT MY HOWARD!! I already have a portable unit rigged up, but the whole point was to have NAV integration. Is there anyway to have Sirius installed and still get integration with the NAV???? Last I heard, Lexus was not offering it yet b/c of issues with previous attempts. Also, why have the Shark Fin if you can't use it with any sat radio????

I have the aftermarket VAIS interface unit with a Kenwood receiver which works pretty seamlessly with my factory NAV head unit. However my antenna is separate right behind the shark fin. the whole setup was about $500.

If I had to do it over, I would have gotten XM through Lexus which uses the shark fin.

I have the aftermarket VAIS interface unit with a Kenwood receiver which works pretty seamlessly with my factory NAV head unit. However my antenna is separate right behind the shark fin. the whole setup was about $500.

If I had to do it over, I would have gotten XM through Lexus which uses the shark fin.

Thanks for the help...I did some searches on this site and found out about Vais. That kind of stinks that you cannot use the shark fin. I thought that the wires ended in the trunk and that you could hook right into the sharkfin there? Where did you install the unit and sirius tuner? Is there enough cable to hook up into the trunk for an unseen install? They say it should be easily accessable due to firmware updates.

Thanks for the help...I did some searches on this site and found out about Vais. That kind of stinks that you cannot use the shark fin. I thought that the wires ended in the trunk and that you could hook right into the sharkfin there? Where did you install the unit and sirius tuner? Is there enough cable to hook up into the trunk for an unseen install? They say it should be easily accessable due to firmware updates.

I didn't do the install, but I've already brought my car back to the installer for an update on the VAIS, and they did it pretty fast. I really have no idea where they installed anything except for the antenna which is right behind the sharkfin...sorry

Sort of related topic, does anyone have access to or has anyone seen a diagram for the installation of a satellite antennae in the IS? For my last car (a Scion tC) I was able to find a step by step diagram of installing an XM antennae, which was basically the same thing for Sirius. What I want to know is which seats, panels, etc need to be removed to get from the truck lid to the dash board. In addition, has anyone seen instructions to take apart the dash around the radio and the center counsel? I have started to tug on a few pieces, but I’m afraid I might break something…any help would be appreciated.

Sort of related topic, does anyone have access to or has anyone seen a diagram for the installation of a satellite antennae in the IS? For my last car (a Scion tC) I was able to find a step by step diagram of installing an XM antennae, which was basically the same thing for Sirius. What I want to know is which seats, panels, etc need to be removed to get from the truck lid to the dash board. In addition, has anyone seen instructions to take apart the dash around the radio and the center counsel? I have started to tug on a few pieces, but I’m afraid I might break something…any help would be appreciated.

Sorry....I am not sure...

I just got my IS250 last week, and got them to throw in the XM. I was hoping there was some mod to swtich between XM and sirius using my Nav screen and a new tuner. From what ive been told the sharkfin antenna cannot be used to sirius, different technology (who knows).

Has anyone gotten sirius installed and without adding a tacky aftermarket setup?

I just got my IS250 last week, and got them to throw in the XM. I was hoping there was some mod to swtich between XM and sirius using my Nav screen and a new tuner. From what ive been told the sharkfin antenna cannot be used to sirius, different technology (who knows).

Has anyone gotten sirius installed and without adding a tacky aftermarket setup?

Good question...I am about to go through this process in the next month with the Vais Tech SLS unit that allows full Sirius-Nav integration. I would like to know the answer to this as well. The research I have come up with is 50/50. Some say you can use sharkfin and others say you cannot. My Cert. Vais installer is going through the Sirius hookup for the first time. He has done many XM/ipod installs but this is a first since it is so new. He said he is pretty sure you cannot use the Sharkfin, but it dpend on the type of connection and he won't know till he gets in there. I hear you can only use it for XM.....If anyone knows the DEFINITE answer or has performed the install and used the fin, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!! Furthermore, does anyone know where to get the Vais SLS cheaper than $299, or are we stuck with that price tag from Vais?????

Thanks!

Good question...I am about to go through this process in the next month with the Vais Tech SLS unit that allows full Sirius-Nav integration. I would like to know the answer to this as well. The research I have come up with is 50/50. Some say you can use sharkfin and others say you cannot. My Cert. Vais installer is going through the Sirius hookup for the first time. He has done many XM/ipod installs but this is a first since it is so new. He said he is pretty sure you cannot use the Sharkfin, but it dpend on the type of connection and he won't know till he gets in there. I hear you can only use it for XM.....If anyone knows the DEFINITE answer or has performed the install and used the fin, PLEASE SPEAK UP!!! Furthermore, does anyone know where to get the Vais SLS cheaper than $299, or are we stuck with that price tag from Vais?????

Thanks!

As I understand it, the 2007 sharkfin is intended for use with XM radio only. The terminal leads from the antenna are supposed to end up somewhere in the right side of the trunk area, near the amplifier. If you have this installation (the sharkfin), want XM, and have the initiative, you can install the XM tuner yourself vis a vis the instructions located on the Lexus/Toyota tech website.

If you want Sirius, the only viable aftermarket solution that I know of is to buy the Vais SLS unit and a Sirius tuner (compatible brand names are on the Vais website-Panasonic is one I remember). You're looking at $299 for the Vais unit and about $75 for the Sirius tuner, last time I checked. Now comes the unpleasant reality of the antenna. I believe that you can modify the sharkfin antenna line and splice on the appropriate connector to plug into the Sirius tuner. Most tuners that I saw came with their own antenna. I caveat this with the fact that I have not compared the wiring of the sharkfin antenna and the one that comes with the Sirius tuner to see if splicing the wires is a workable solution.

If you're like me and have a 2006 IS with no sharkfin, you're stuck with whatever antenna comes with your tuner. I am, however, looking into procuring a 2007 sharkfin and installing that myself along with the appropriate connector. Don't hold your breath though.

Thanks!

As I understand it, the 2007 sharkfin is intended for use with XM radio only. The terminal leads from the antenna are supposed to end up somewhere in the right side of the trunk area, near the amplifier. If you have this installation (the sharkfin), want XM, and have the initiative, you can install the XM tuner yourself vis a vis the instructions located on the Lexus/Toyota tech website.

If you want Sirius, the only viable aftermarket solution that I know of is to buy the Vais SLS unit and a Sirius tuner (compatible brand names are on the Vais website-Panasonic is one I remember). You're looking at $299 for the Vais unit and about $75 for the Sirius tuner, last time I checked. Now comes the unpleasant reality of the antenna. I believe that you can modify the sharkfin antenna line and splice on the appropriate connector to plug into the Sirius tuner. Most tuners that I saw came with their own antenna. I caveat this with the fact that I have not compared the wiring of the sharkfin antenna and the one that comes with the Sirius tuner to see if splicing the wires is a workable solution.

If you're like me and have a 2006 IS with no sharkfin, you're stuck with whatever antenna comes with your tuner. I am, however, looking into procuring a 2007 sharkfin and installing that myself along with the appropriate connector. Don't hold your breath though.

Warhummer1, thanks very much for the very thorough, yet disappointing, response. I was afraid that this would be the case. I have my install guy looking into it too, but if you hear of ayone splicing this wire, please pass on a message. In regards to said splice, I am not sure what the consequences would be. First off, it would probably void any warranty. Second, hopefully it would not interfere with the NAV, as their is supposed to be some tie in there as well. Thanks again!

The best way to do it is the Vais unit.

As for the antenna, mount it on the rear parcel shelf. Thats where mine is, no reception problems.

Are you referring to the shelf behind the rear seat headrests?

Thanks SW03ES.

Warhummer, I think he does mean behind the headrests. I was talking to my install guy and he said that they sometimes mount the antenna on/around/in the childseat restraint hook on the rear dash. They said that it is unnoticeable and offers good reception as stated by their customers.

I have installed the XM Direct radio, with a Terk adapter for Toyota, in a 2006 IS with Nav. and AM/SAT button. Used advice from warhummer on how to get the dash apart and it cost $107 with tax. Dealer in southern Calif. wanted $999!! Works seemlessly, steering wheels controls work, it is really pretty easy. I can help, took many photos along the way. I cannot help with mounting of the antenna, I am using the child restraint location and it works fine. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks!

I've found some info that I'm trying to go over now to see if the sharkfin antenna connector can be easily changed or not. I've got conflicting info on the whether the terminal end is proprietary or not.

The issue at hand here about using the Sharkfin is not the connector imo. Should be easy enough to cut off the connector and install the one used for sirius. The real problem is the frequency band at which the antenna is tuned for. If it is tuned and filtered just for the XM wavelength, then ur Sirius signal will not come thru clearly if at all. Thats really what u need to kno about the Sharkfin. Whats the frequency response of it.

The issue at hand here about using the Sharkfin is not the connector imo. Should be easy enough to cut off the connector and install the one used for sirius. The real problem is the frequency band at which the antenna is tuned for. If it is tuned and filtered just for the XM wavelength, then ur Sirius signal will not come thru clearly if at all. Thats really what u need to kno about the Sharkfin. Whats the frequency response of it.

Satellite radio is transmitted at 2.3 GHz with about a 50 MHz spread between the lowest and highest alloted frequencies. The antenna gain pattern is virtually the same. People who have used the sharkfin installation for their Sirius have reported better reception than other means (sitting on the rear shelf for example).

I read the many, many posts hoping to find out if anyone has been able to replace the connector on the shark fin cable. I have an IS250 with the shark fin and the VAIS/Term XM setup but not yet installed becasue I do NOT want to use that ugly little pill box antenna that comes with the Terk unit. Anyway I have sent emails all over the place to see if any auto/radio/electronics companies can identify (the exact name) the FAKRA type connector on the shark fin cable--also asked if anyone can make an adapter so I don't have to cut the end off. From what I have learned this is a really oddball connector and I have not been able to find it anywhere. At the same time there are several different styles of the connector that comes with the XM or Sirius tuners.

Concerning the antennas, I have read more posts from people who say the shark fin will work with Sirius becasue the frequency bands are almost identical.

Would love to hear from someone about this.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I know I'm reviving an old thread but I haven't found any new information...

I just got my 2008 IS 350. I currently have a XMDirect Universal Tuner and an adapter for connecting to a Sony head unit (from old car - probably won't be used). I have a lot of the same questions, what do I need to get this to interface with the stock soundsystem w/ NAV and the AM/SAT button? And can I use the sharkfin antennae? Where is the wire for the shark fin... is it really in the trunk?

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...