Laminated Glass. Do You Know Anything About It?!

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

This is about as 'off-topic' as it gets. But I need your help.

Last week - a burglar got into my apartment by smashing a hole in the corner of one of my bedroom windows. He then removed the 'stick' that was intended to keep guys like him from getting into my place - and simply moved the sliding part of that two piece window across and climbed through.

The window he broke is about 32" wide by about 48" high. It was a single pane of glass measuring only 3 mm thick. I have since replaced that pane with one that is 5 mm thick and laminated. I plan on replacing ALL of the single pane windows in both bedrooms with that same 5 mm thick laminated glass sometime early next year. [For a total 4 more panes]

QUESTION:

Am I kidding myself by thinking that if I go ahead and replace all of my 3 mm thick single pane bedroom windows with 5 mm thick laminated glass windows that I will be safer and that a criminal will have a more difficult time trying to gain access to my apartment?! [Even - perhaps - to the point of 'giving up']

It should be noted - that 5 mm is the thickest the aluminum window frames can take and I can't change that - given the by-laws of the Strata I'm bound by.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Hi Guys!! :)

This is about as 'off-topic' as it gets. But I need your help.

Last week - a burglar got into my apartment by smashing a hole in the corner of one of my bedroom windows. He then removed the 'stick' that was intended to keep guys like him from getting into my place - and simply moved the sliding part of that two piece window across and climbed through.

The window he broke is about 32" wide by about 48" high. It was a single pane of glass measuring only 3 mm thick. I have since replaced that pane with one that is 5 mm thick and laminated. I plan on replacing ALL of the single pane windows in both bedrooms with that same 5 mm thick laminated glass sometime early next year. [For a total 4 more panes]

QUESTION:

Am I kidding myself by thinking that if I go ahead and replace all of my 3 mm thick single pane bedroom windows with 5 mm thick laminated glass windows that I will be safer and that a criminal will have a more difficult time trying to gain access to my apartment?! [Even - perhaps - to the point of 'giving up']

It should be noted - that 5 mm is the thickest the aluminum window frames can take and I can't change that - given the by-laws of the Strata I'm bound by.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Sorry to hear of the intrusion. If a burglar wants to get in they will no matter what. Locks are made for honest people.

Proximity switches or glass break sensors on the windows hooked up to an alarm might help. I have all my windows and doors wired to an alarm that sounds a really loud siren outside and inside and calls the police. There are lots of ways to set something like that up and the noise alone can make a thief want to get the heck out of there while he can.

There are also films, similar to window tint, that you can apply to the inside of windows that makes them harder to break.

i agree with DC, if they want to get in, they will get in.

now where to find bullet proof glass....

an alarm is a good idea, my alarm calls the police as well, and my cell phone. maybe you should get the Clap On plugs with the security feature....worth a try ;)