Anyone Consider The 2007 Acura Mdx?

I currently own an '05 RX 330 and was thinking about trading up for the 400h, but in my looking around and pricing I found out about the remodeled Acura MDX. You really get a lot of features for LESS money than the Lexus RX line. Also the fact that the RX will be updated in a year and a half has me thinking of waiting or going with the Acura.

Has anyone test drove one? I am planning on doing so tomorrow. Any opinions?

I currently own an '05 RX 330 and was thinking about trading up for the 400h, but in my looking around and pricing I found out about the remodeled Acura MDX. You really get a lot of features for LESS money than the Lexus RX line. Also the fact that the RX will be updated in a year and a half has me thinking of waiting or going with the Acura.

I was really seriously considering an RDX purchase given the SH-AWD design but then I sat down and read the owners manual and it says use tire chains ONLY on the front. Just another FWD vehicle mascarading as AWD.

I have a 05 rx330 and am considering upgrading to the rx350.....its killing me seeing vitually the same car I have with 50 more horse power! Anyway, stopped by the Acura dealer to take a look at the MDX...300 HP is even better. The MDX looks much bigger then the RX...even though it is only a couple of inches longer, it is 4+ inches wider. It looked great inside...it is just the fact a don't need or even want a 3rd row. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after your test drive.

JayJay ...

I REALLY enjoyed the MDX a great deal. Let me set the stage for you ... I am 31 and single, so I don't need the room either. I really have enjoyed the Lexus a lot, but it maybe felt a little bland to me. I don't have much bad to say about the RX line though. I'm not really a gear-head, die-hard single male in any typical sense of the word.

Test drive of the MDX:

Yes it feels bigger, but not a ton bigger. I noticed the width, but not the length. The transmission is MUCH smoother than my 05 RX (there are smoother trannys in the 07 RX 350s vs the RX 330s from what I've heard). I felt like the ride of the MDX was a nice combo of slightly more sporty, yet it still rode nicely. On the Interstate I thought it drove wonderfully. Around town it felt a little more sporty in turns than my RX 330.

I really like the interior on the MDX. Classy, yet not stuffy. I like the fact the wood isn't too garish (I think it's fake wood though ... I don't really care about that) and blends in with the interior rather than being so noticeable. I have never cared for wood trim a great deal. The layout is very nice and I like the location of the shifter ... closer to the driver in the middle console. There's the option for manual shifting if you're so inclined.

The backseat had less legroom than the RX, but it wasn't tight in the least. One thing I love about my RX is the rear seat legroom! Again, I felt there was PLENTY in the MDX though. Seats in the regular MDX are a little softer than the RX ... the SPORT line of MDX has perforated leather and they weren't as soft, but felt like they'd hold up better (by not as soft, I don't mean that in a bad way). The rear passengers get their own temperature control. Heated rear seats are available in the ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE (also includes, rear DVD, and power rear liftgate). The contours in the 2nd row make it better for 2 people than 3 (like in the RX), but the increased width makes it easier to have 3 across the back.

The 3rd seat is only for kids or only for short trips for adults ... it may come in handy a few times. With the 3rd row seats down (they fold flat) there is definitely more room for cargo. When I drive 4 of us to play golf, it's sometimes hard to squeeze everything in the back. The slope of the RX adds to that problem. MDX - Noticeably more room back there now and the increased width helps here. The load level is maybe a little higher than the RX line.

The exterior ... personally I like the aggressive look. I am accessorizing the car with garnish that adds a metal flare here and there. Acura makes a lot of their money on their "accessories" ... the side profile of the MDX makes the doors look a little bare, but of course there's an accessory or two available to take care of that. There are side body moldings (like on the RX) that apply about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. I'm also adding the sport running boards.

I just finished negotiating on a 2007 MDX - Sport Package ... Formal Black w/Black interior. It will look like this minus the roof rack (I'm going to wait to see what it looks like w/o the rack in person with all the accessories before deciding to put one on).

215015987.jpg

I will not have some things that I have on my RX though ...

-- no AFS, but it does have HIDs (that are auto-leveling in the SPORT package).

-- no power rear gate ... I hardly ever used this in mine. I will note that the power gate in the MDX operates a lot more quickly than the one in the RX.

-- no rain-sensitive windshield wipers ... I think this will be something I miss (even though I feel like I constantly adjust them anyhow :)).

-- no touch-screen on the Navigation (I don't have Nav now anyhow, but have messed around with one in the RX incessantly) ... after getting acclimated to the MDX Nav system I really don't think this is as big of a deal as I was worried it would be.

Some of the reasons for going with the MDX include ...

-- Incorporated iPod/aux jack ... not a HUGE deal I know, but it's nice.

-- MUCH nicer stereo (especially the 410 watt in the TECHNOLOGY package)

-- Nicer Navigation package overall ... better voice recognition.

-- Nice combo of SLIGHTLY more sporty, yet still a smooth ride.

-- Bigger engine (although it's still a little slower than the RX)

-- The fact it's a new model ... can be a downside to that too, but if I bought another RX I'd feel like it was outdated in a little over a year when the 09s come out.

-- That slight bit more room overall (cargo, width, etc) without feeling much more bulky.

-- Just the overall look of it ... I like it!

-- Improved AWD system (over my 05 at least)

I will miss things about my RX I'm sure ... a little bit smaller and a consistently nice drive. Lexus service is generally wonderful. In the end I probably wanted to try something different as well. I don't blame anyone ONE BIT for getting the RX though.

I sat in the MDX yesterday at the mall. VERY nice, I absolutely would seriously consider one over the RX. Especially on a lease. My only quibble about the interior was the fake wood. One of Acura's biggest problems is figuring out that fake wood is not appropriate on a $45-50,000 vehicle. Either make it real, or leave it off.

I thought the vehicle was very comfortable, quality seemed on par with the RX (save the aforementioned fake wood) and I liked the sporty feel of the interior. If I were considering going back to a high line SUV, I'd seriously look at the MDX.

The only two things that would be a real negative for me would be:

1. No auto wipers. I bitched about them at first but I've gotten used to them. Now driving a vehicle without them is very annoying.

2. No smart key. I won't purchase another car without the smart key option, but the RX also lacks this so it'd be a moot issue. The Infiniti FX has it though.

We want pics!

I will try to get some pics in a week or two ... I am picking it up on Saturday and then heading home for the holidays.

Quick opinion question .... should I get the roof rack? My MDX will look just like the one above except I'm not having them put the roof rack on yet ... I want to see it in person without it first. I know I don't NEED one, but sometimes they make the car/truck look nice ... I thought maybe it'd look a little more sleek w/o.

I'd get the rack personally...

Does the one you ordered have an auto-dimming rearview mirror? The one in the picture doesn't and I was shocked to find out the one I sat in didnt have one either. Another feature thats omission is inexcusable on a $45,000 vehicle.

That's the catch with Acura ...

Same thing with the doors (imho) ... they look all bare on the sides, but of course there's an accessory for side moldings that look like they should've been there to begin with. Add in running boards, roof rack, garnishes, etc.

Oh well ....

I stopped off at the mall yesterday and Rosenthal Acura keeps their stock there. They had several MDXs some with and some without the racks. I got out and looked at them thinking of you. You know, I'm not so sure about that rack. It looks more substantial with it, but it looks a lot sleeker without it...

I stopped off at the mall yesterday and Rosenthal Acura keeps their stock there. They had several MDXs some with and some without the racks. I got out and looked at them thinking of you. You know, I'm not so sure about that rack. It looks more substantial with it, but it looks a lot sleeker without it...

I just looked at it with and without the rack....i liked it better without.

I decided to buy the RX 350 after considering the new MDX. I picked up my new RX last Friday. this is my first post to the group and I'm afraid it's gonna be kinda long (what a way to get acquainted)

Contrary to what someone else said, I found that you get more for your money with the RX than the MDX. The Acura dealers I spoke to were sticking to MSRP on the MDX, I was able to negotiate lower than MSRP on my RX. Besides that, several things are dealer accessories on the MDX that were included on my RX. Some of those include body side molding ($495) cargo cover ($195), roof rails ($495), wheel locks ($115). Acura charged for the items plus installation so the items cost a lot more than they were listed for on Acura's website. When I was done adding up the all accessories I'd need it was well over $2K, not including the items below. I agree with the person that said fake wood on an MDX is inexcusable. Also the backup camera on the Lexus is in color, while the Acrua is b&w.

I got a set of all season mats for the Lexus, front and back seat for $99. Acura wanted $195, $60 of which was installation! Acura wants $991 to put on a tow hitch, Lexus is doing mine for $500. Acura has to replace the rear bumper to put on the tow hitch. The tow hitch wasn't even available for months after the car was released, it's like it was an afterthought and not considered in the initial design.

Let's talk about the power lift gate which is included on the RX. The only way to get it on the MDX is to buy the entertainment package which adds over $2K to the cost. I think that was a blunder on Acura's part. They took too long to add the power lift gate and then they packaged it to make the cost exorbitant.

I read reviews of the Lexus and Acura on http://auto.consumerguide.com. For fuel economy it said of the Acura: "Test MDX averaged 15.5 mpg. Acura recommends premium-grade fuel", and of the Lexus: "Test AWD RX 350 averaged 19.1 mpg overall, 21.9 mpg in mostly highway driving".

Based on all that, I decided there's more value in the Lexus than the Acura.

I liked the look of the MDX when i first saw it, but the more I looked at it the less I liked the front-end. I don't care for the grill (my DH says it looks too much like a PT Cruiser) and the big black plastic front bumper. I prefer the MDX dash to the Lexus. I did think the MDX was comfortable and liked the handling of the car, but again the sport handling is another $2K addition. I'm perfectly happy with the comfort and handling of my new RX.

I've had the Acura navigation system in my old car (Honda Accord) for 2 years and I also have a Denso nav system in my other car ('91 MR2) so I'm very familiar with both of them. The Denso in my other car is an after market system and does not have the lockout, it's fully functional while driving. Between the two, the Denso is the better system. The screens are more intuitive and I can find my POI's much faster on the Denso than the Honda system. I like the audible cue (two chimes) when you reach a turning point, Honda doesn't have that. The Denso touch screen is better than the Acura joystick for the navigation. The joystick navigation on the Acura is not intuitive. Lots of times you need to turn the joystick like a knob when you'd expect to push it left/right/up/down. You'd have to go try it to know what I mean. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but touch screen is easier and faster. I still think the Honda is one of the best nav systems, I just prefer the Denso. The lockout on the Lexus is an issue, I don't think they should do that. I'll have to see how much it bothers me and if someone figures out a hack.

My experience with the Honda voice recognition system was that 98% of the time it did NOT properly recognize the voice command when given correctly. So that also differs from what other people are saying. We used to use it as a joke, issue a command and wait to see what it'd do instead of what we wanted. So far, my Lexus voice recognition has worked perfectly; for the 2 1/2 days I've had it :-)

I'm very happy I decided on the RX.

I decided to buy the RX 350 after considering the new MDX. I picked up my new RX last Friday. this is my first post to the group and I'm afraid it's gonna be kinda long (what a way to get acquainted)

Contrary to what someone else said, I found that you get more for your money with the RX than the MDX. The Acura dealers I spoke to were sticking to MSRP on the MDX, I was able to negotiate lower than MSRP on my RX. Besides that, several things are dealer accessories on the MDX that were included on my RX. Some of those include body side molding ($495) cargo cover ($195), roof rails ($495), wheel locks ($115). Acura charged for the items plus installation so the items cost a lot more than they were listed for on Acura's website. When I was done adding up the all accessories I'd need it was well over $2K, not including the items below. I agree with the person that said fake wood on an MDX is inexcusable. Also the backup camera on the Lexus is in color, while the Acrua is b&w.

I got a set of all season mats for the Lexus, front and back seat for $99. Acura wanted $195, $60 of which was installation! Acura wants $991 to put on a tow hitch, Lexus is doing mine for $500. Acura has to replace the rear bumper to put on the tow hitch. The tow hitch wasn't even available for months after the car was released, it's like it was an afterthought and not considered in the initial design.

Let's talk about the power lift gate which is included on the RX. The only way to get it on the MDX is to buy the entertainment package which adds over $2K to the cost. I think that was a blunder on Acura's part. They took too long to add the power lift gate and then they packaged it to make the cost exorbitant.

I read reviews of the Lexus and Acura on http://auto.consumerguide.com. For fuel economy it said of the Acura: "Test MDX averaged 15.5 mpg. Acura recommends premium-grade fuel", and of the Lexus: "Test AWD RX 350 averaged 19.1 mpg overall, 21.9 mpg in mostly highway driving".

Based on all that, I decided there's more value in the Lexus than the Acura.

I liked the look of the MDX when i first saw it, but the more I looked at it the less I liked the front-end. I don't care for the grill (my DH says it looks too much like a PT Cruiser) and the big black plastic front bumper. I prefer the MDX dash to the Lexus. I did think the MDX was comfortable and liked the handling of the car, but again the sport handling is another $2K addition. I'm perfectly happy with the comfort and handling of my new RX.

I've had the Acura navigation system in my old car (Honda Accord) for 2 years and I also have a Denso nav system in my other car ('91 MR2) so I'm very familiar with both of them. The Denso in my other car is an after market system and does not have the lockout, it's fully functional while driving. Between the two, the Denso is the better system. The screens are more intuitive and I can find my POI's much faster on the Denso than the Honda system. I like the audible cue (two chimes) when you reach a turning point, Honda doesn't have that. The Denso touch screen is better than the Acura joystick for the navigation. The joystick navigation on the Acura is not intuitive. Lots of times you need to turn the joystick like a knob when you'd expect to push it left/right/up/down. You'd have to go try it to know what I mean. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but touch screen is easier and faster. I still think the Honda is one of the best nav systems, I just prefer the Denso. The lockout on the Lexus is an issue, I don't think they should do that. I'll have to see how much it bothers me and if someone figures out a hack.

My experience with the Honda voice recognition system was that 98% of the time it did NOT properly recognize the voice command when given correctly. So that also differs from what other people are saying. We used to use it as a joke, issue a command and wait to see what it'd do instead of what we wanted. So far, my Lexus voice recognition has worked perfectly; for the 2 1/2 days I've had it :-)

I'm very happy I decided on the RX.

Glad to hear you are happy with your new RX. How can you describe the performance of your new RX? Can you compare it to the MDX? I am debating whether to upgrade my 05 RX330 to something with some more power....

Some quick observations after having my MDX for a few days ...

I agree that I like it w/o the rack ... I was GREATLY pleased when I looked at my car for the first time with all the accessories on it (side body moldings, sport running boards, front & rear garnish -- exterior acc).

The car DEFINITELY is a more sporty ride than the RX. I kind of miss the cushy ride, but the times I've driven more aggressively with the MDX I've changed my mind :) I am having more fun driving, but I still have to say Lexus is your ride if you want comfort all the way around. I am enjoying the combo of sport and nice ride.

Loving the tech features and not minding one bit that the Navigation doesn't have a touch screen. I'm learning the voice commands pretty well and they work nicely. The stereo is darn nice! I'm going to appreciate the slight bit more room the MDX offers. Love the interior layout as well.

The person above is correct ... the Lexus is cheaper right now, especially after the accessories on the MDX. Sticker on mine (with MSRP accessories was just over $48,000 ... I have the SPORT model) ... ENTERTAINMENT package would add $2200 to that. I was wrong on pricing.

I am glad I bought the MDX ... I have had the Lexus and it's nice to try something new. I'm not saying there aren't things I miss about the Lexus, but this new MDX is great all-around!!!!

If you're looking for something a little more sporty and aggressive-looking with a little more personality ... the MDX is your thing ... also if you need a 3rd row or would just like the option (or a little more cargo room). If you just want all around comfort of drive ... go for the Lexus.

The car DEFINITELY is a more sporty ride than the RX.

If you're looking for something a little more sporty and aggressive-looking with a little more personality ... the MDX is your thing ... also if you need a 3rd row or would just like the option (or a little more cargo room). If you just want all around comfort of drive ... go for the Lexus.

I'm glad you're happy with your MDX.

I think you described the difference in ride well. MDX is a sportier ride, while Lexus is a cushier, smoother ride. Only other thing I'd add is Lexus may have a bit of a hesitation on acceleration as compared to the MDX.

Ultimately it came down to cost for me, when I added it all up, I felt like Acura was taking me to the cleaners, especially with that ridiculous tow hitch charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Few more observations ... getting about 22.5 mpg on highway (about 2 mpg less than my RX), but that doesn't bother me much.

I REALLY MISS MY RAIN-SENSITIVE WIPERS!

Also miss the dimming side mirrors ... the mirrors on the MDX have some kind of dimming coating or something, but it doesn't work as well.

All in all I'm glad I made the switch ... I'm using the sport mode and manual shift more than I thought I would. I'm liking the extra room as well and I am loving the overall looks of the car with the accessories I chose.

Few more observations ... getting about 22.5 mpg on highway (about 2 mpg less than my RX), but that doesn't bother me much.

I REALLY MISS MY RAIN-SENSITIVE WIPERS!

Also miss the dimming side mirrors ... the mirrors on the MDX have some kind of dimming coating or something, but it doesn't work as well.

All in all I'm glad I made the switch ... I'm using the sport mode and manual shift more than I thought I would. I'm liking the extra room as well and I am loving the overall looks of the car with the accessories I chose.

On my Porsche I use one of the otherwise unused seat memory buttons to tilt the outside mirrors down just enough at night.

Carla and I sat in one at the mall today. It is a really nice vehicle, in fact next time I trade I may want to look at it and see if I want to go back to an SUV...

Carla liked it too and said she could see herself driving one...

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2007 RX350 - AWD without NAVI (I never get lost anyway :whistles: ).

I looked at the MDX a lot. But the price was always higher and the mileage was not as good.

We really love the RX so far (only 250 miles so far).

It isn't always a question of getting, being, lost, mostly it's a question of finding the most direct route in the local area. But you made a good decision, the Lexus built-ins are super expensive and mostly worthless in comparison to the Garmin portables. TRANSPORTABLES.

I have an '01 RX300 with 5.1 Nav and a year old Garmin and the Lexus will almost NEVER route me the most direct way but the Garmin does.