• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Info!

My previous RX330 in Europe (called RX300 there) didn't have the roof rack, wasn't even an option! It still isn't in most markets.

My brand new RX400H obviously does have the roof rack and it has to go.

I think it looks much better without... never understood this roof rack thing anyway, I suppose it looks "manly"? Anyway, you cannot discuss taste.. well.. most of the time...

I'm going to inform myself in europe if I can order those plastic pieces to cover the holes.

If you do find the plastic inserts please let me,let us all know. As I said, I just add-libbed that part and it looks good but not perfect. Rey

post-26996-1207018244_thumb.jpg

I’m intending to remove the roof rack as well. It’s rather cumbersome when washing the car. Original Lexus RX cover lids – 4 parts - are available in Germany € 36,- in Austria € 50,-

I look envious to Lexus-US-pricelists. I therefore will check availability next time when we spend vacation in US, which is soon, July 2008. I paid (Austrian Pricelist) € 72.000,- for the RX 400, – 2 % cash payment discount, no sunroof, no wood trimming, no winter tires ….

• 5 months later...

Finally I received the desired four little pieces of plastic that cover the holes when you remove the roof rack.

I had ordered them thru family in the Netherlands.. it took some months.

So today I removed the roof rack... piece of cake... and wanted to install the 4 pieces of plastic.

Only to discover that you need more then just that.. you also need "something" that goes under those pieces, something they "click" on.

So I have to order 4 more pieces, but first I have to find out their codes....

For the moment some gaffertape covers the gaps.. nobody will notice.. and it never rains here in L.A. anyway...

But hopefully I will be able to finish this job properly soon.

And the RX looks so much better without! :)

Finally I received the desired four little pieces of plastic that cover the holes when you remove the roof rack.

I had ordered them thru family in the Netherlands.. it took some months.

So today I removed the roof rack... piece of cake... and wanted to install the 4 pieces of plastic.

Only to discover that you need more then just that.. you also need "something" that goes under those pieces, something they "click" on.

So I have to order 4 more pieces, but first I have to find out their codes....

For the moment some gaffertape covers the gaps.. nobody will notice.. and it never rains here in L.A. anyway...

But hopefully I will be able to finish this job properly soon.

And the RX looks so much better without! :)

Welcome to the roofrackless club! I have NEVER missed that on my pretty car! Please let me know more about the inserts and the accompanying attachments. I did all of the filling myself and no one, even at the dealership has ever noticed. I used plastic that I cut and molded to fit...but I will bow down to anything that is actually made for the slots so please let us know. I also live in LA so maybe I will spot your topless RX one of these days! Take care, Rey

post-26996-1222573614_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you the part numbers but I can tell you how the missing parts look:

img4126anh4.jpg

I have ordered those plastic pieces as well and have the same problem. However I finally decided not to use those plastics yet they did cost me a lot of money.

after roof rail removal:

th_53645_IXUS__188_rs_122_929lo.jpg

I don't like the look of this:

th_53660_IXUS__193_rs_122_1102lo.jpg

However, the thing that really had me worried were the missing screws. The screws from the roof rail are too long, so I had to get stainless screws in order to fill those holes in my roof (thank god it didn't rain) after the roof rack was removed.

I'm looking for some rubber moldings similar to the ones already in place adjacent to the gaps. I don't want nothing to stand up there. In the mean time, I have covered them with some thick rubber stripes used to cover carpet gaps in buildings.

Anybody interested in the official Installation Manual for the roof rail, PM me with email address (752 KB, pdf).

I can't tell you the part numbers but I can tell you how the missing parts look:

img4126anh4.jpg

I have ordered those plastic pieces as well and have the same problem. However I finally decided not to use those plastics yet they did cost me a lot of money.

after roof rail removal:

However, the thing that really had me worried were the missing screws. The screws from the roof rail are too long, so I had to get stainless screws in order to fill those holes in my roof (thank god it didn't rain) after the roof rack was removed.

I'm looking for some rubber moldings similar to the ones already in place adjacent to the gaps. I don't want nothing to stand up there. In the mean time, I have covered them with some thick rubber stripes used to cover carpet gaps in buildings.

Anybody interested in the official Installation Manual for the roof rail, PM me with email address (752 KB, pdf).

Hmm, I did a better job filling the slots with my jerryrigged little plastic pieces that I made. No one has ever noticed them. I do love the front lip and the clean roof...I really like the look of my RX400h! I'm not too shy to say..... Rey Bustos in beautiful L.A.

Really wondering how you did that (I did read the thread, just can't imagine how it looks). The solution I currently have is not overwhelming but it does the job.

For a really neat solution, the filler should have the same roof top shape as the original molding IMHO:

ixus2012rsaa9.jpg

w600.png

dimensions are width 32mm and height ~10mm

Too bad local recyclers here do not have a totalled RX ... I still have the option to order some original molding and cut it to fitting pieces but with s&h it will be over 100 bucks ... :huh:

img4126anh4.jpg

after roof rail removal:

So 4 of these and the correct screws is all that's needed? I got the order no for both now... hopefully I can install everything before it rains here in LA.

I like the other solution too.. a wrecked RX would be a great source... where to find one?

There are several Lexus recyclers in the USA. Try Google.

Perhaps someone should buy, used or new, some original molding and cut it up and sell individual pieces. I for one would be interested.

Tom

So 4 of these and the correct screws is all that's needed? I got the order no for both now... hopefully I can install everything before it rains here in LA.

yes, that will work. Screws are 8x20mm (sorry, dunno if that helps in US). This is from the roof rail installation manual:

roofrailmanual1xt4.jpg

w530.png

I assume fig. 1 are the plastic covers (however they are stiff and do not bend), fig. 2 are those parts I posted and fig. 3 are probabely some gaskets. I used nylon washers with the screws, maybe some Loctite would also help sealing. The screw holes lead directly into the roof arbor and you don't want any moisture in there.

remaining sides of the manual (for those in need in order to understand how to remove the roof rail and especially those pesky plastic covers in fig. 7):

roofrailmanual2dy6.jpg

w532.png roofrailmanual3ix5.jpg

w532.png

• 10 months later...
I still haven't been able to find those covers...hmm...Oh, I just ordered a thndercloud grille and a Harrier emblem!

Pictures must follow. :)

Tom

Yes Tom,

I can't wait to show you the new front end! I hope to get both the grill and the emblem ASAP. Both are from different places. I LOVE the Harrier hawk emblem. I saw one when I was in Europe and felt that I just had to have one. I also love the horizontal TC grille. Rey

• 3 weeks later...

When I was in Europe I noticed that the few RXs that I saw, none of them had roof racks. I think that they are an option there and not automatically put on. The Europeans like things cleaner and neater as far as design. They don't get the cup holder thing either! When they drive, I had some pretty interesting taxi rdes in Italy, they are like on a race course, There is no time to sip or dawdle! Anyway, I don't like roof racks but I love my cup holder. I do understand that people ski and have bike racks but I don't do either so I have never missed that thing on the top of my pretty car. Oh, I now I have my nifty Harrier grill and emblem that I just put on. I love this car! Be well, Rey

post-26996-1252589710_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

• 1 year later...

OK rxrey, where did you get your front end lower panel...? I did the roof rack removeal last night...Sewell Lexus sells the kit for the plastic pieces and if you mention your membership to one of the lexus sites the price drops to around $62 shipped...Man does the car look lower and sleeker without the rack...No more socker mom look....

Lenore, I hope you took precautions to ensure your RX doesn't get flooded when it rains. If you've been following Rey's posts, you know what happened to his RX and you have made sure it won't happen to you.

Great point...It turned out that the leak I was getting was from the small corner windows from when I had the car repainted due to the acid thrown on it a few years back. The top slots were fine. I finally got the pieces that actually fit on there. I still LOVE the car without the roof rack. Rey

Actually the roof rack remove kit includes brackets with rubber gaskets, and bolts with rubber gaskets, however I did one better and added RV putty under everything...tight as can be.

Great idea LENORE, I just used silicone glue and it was easily sealed. Like I said before, the leak as it turned out happened after the side rear windows were taken off when my car was repainted. It was tough trying to find out where the water was coming in from and I figured it was from the roof...but it wasn't. Rey

• 11 months later...

I am in the same boat with RX 2010. I am looking for a molding piece. Anyone has found an alternative? Mine is 29mmx10mm high. I don't want to buy their covers... it's a rip off.

Thanks