Roof Rack Removal Photos

Respnse to Jim......"Why I removed my roof rack, an essay by Rey Bustos"....It was purely because I really didn't like it one bit, I never used it, can't think of what I would throw up there that wouldn't fit inside the car (moose?). It was a good question and the answer is really just preference. Jim, when I took it off you can take it apart and it stores upright like skies. I didn't take it off to get better mileage, because it won't change that I am finding out. I did though, see a picture of a Harrier/RX330 in Europe that was a little lower and didn't have the rack and it just sealed the thought for me and I was thereafter on a mission to take the thing off. I really think it looks so beautiful "clean" but wouldn't tell people to do it unless they are sure. It wasn't easy to take off and you could do some damage to the rack or even the car and then there's no going back. I have the rack ,will keep it and when RXes are a little older, I have that and two steering wheels to sell. Yes, I put after market wood trim in my car, I bought a birds eye maple shifter and a wood/leather steering wheel for my "Princess". I was told at the time that the 400hes didn't come with the wood trim..which I thought was horrible. I hated the brushed aluminum and made it all wood and it is now fabulous. I drove a loaner 330 with a wooden steering wheel and I almost didn't want my car back after that with its leather only steering wheel so I went on eBay and got a wood/leather one. I am a nut that way. I also love the chrome nerf bars that I saw on on RX at the dealership so I went on eBay...(I have an extra pair if anyone wants them,they are used...I accidentally bid on two pair! silly me, I won both bids! ayayayayee...) . But again, it was personal preference...like the shoes that we buy. I did notice that the car is a wee bit quieter without the rack, a lot quieter on the highway without it, I mean it is afterall a THING on top of the car!.... but again, don't do it unless you were like me and hated the sight of it. So, it's a bit quieter and it looks cleaner....but then again this is such a "Rey" thing... I put a Beatles Sgt Pepper round decal on the back bumper and most people would shudder at the thought of a decal on their 50k car! But it's my "Princess", she's paid for and she makes me smile. Toodle-loo, Rey

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey RXREY,

How would I go about removing only the crossrails? I have been told locally that they cannot be removed but I find that hard to believe. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rey Bustos here again...I just looked at my rack in my storage room and the person at Lexus that told you that you can take the corners off and slip off the cross bars was right, but let me add this; take only two of the corners off. As I said, this can be nerve racking (pardon the pun...) when you do take the two off,lets say, the back two, there will be a small 9mm screw facing laterally, the hexagonal head facing you....simply take the screws off, one on each side, and that will allow both cross bars to slide off. You won't have to take the whole rack off as I thought might be the case. Voila! Another case closed. Rey

Hey RXREY,

How would I go about removing only the crossrails? I have been told locally that they cannot be removed but I find that hard to believe. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rey Bustos here again...I just looked at my rack in my storage room and the person at Lexus that told you that you can take the corners off and slip off the cross bars was right, but let me add this; take only two of the corners off. As I said, this can be nerve racking (pardon the pun...) when you do take the two off,lets say, the back two, there will be a small 9mm screw facing laterally, the hexagonal head facing you....simply take the screws off, one on each side, and that will allow both cross bars to slide off. You won't have to take the whole rack off as I thought might be the case. Voila! Another case closed. Rey

Strong work RXREY! I have taken 2 roof racks off previous cars and I also think they look better and are quiter. This is my wifes DD and she wants them on but she said I can take the cross bars off so I will! Thanks for posting your DIY!

Hey Rey:

Did you see any impact on your gas mileage, especially at freeway speeds, after you removed the roof rack? How about a reduction in wind noise?

Thanks, Bob

Three months, no difference in mileage numbers that I can tell. I did increase the tire PSI to 34 and feel that the car rides better and perhaps that might make a difference but I doubt that I'd be able to tell. So, no difference as far as I can see. Rey

Hey Rey:

Did you see any impact on your gas mileage, especially at freeway speeds, after you removed the roof rack? How about a reduction in wind noise?

Thanks, Bob

Three months, no difference in mileage numbers that I can tell. I did increase the tire PSI to 34 and feel that the car rides better and perhaps that might make a difference but I doubt that I'd be able to tell. So, no difference as far as I can see. Rey

Any difference in wind noice? I am going to take the crossbars off soon.

Hey Rey:

Thanks, Bob

No noticeable difference in regards to mileage but I feel it is much quieter especially on the freeways without the rack. It's just not anything that I even liked at all and it is an object on the roof, it will make some noise. It creates a little drag and since I like driving over 70 when I can,it does make a lot less wind noise...that's also why the NASCAR folks don't put roof racks on their cars,eh? Anway, just be sure that you want it off becuase it's a scary thing for me to have done...and I don't scare easily! Rey

Hey Rey:

Thanks, Bob

No noticeable difference in regards to mileage but I feel it is much quieter especially on the freeways without the rack. It's just not anything that I even liked at all and it is an object on the roof, it will make some noise. It creates a little drag and since I like driving over 70 when I can,it does make a lot less wind noise...that's also why the NASCAR folks don't put roof racks on their cars,eh? Anway, just be sure that you want it off becuase it's a scary thing for me to have done...and I don't scare easily! Rey

Doh! It helps to read! :blush:

PS All the EPA and wind tunnel tests are done without a roof rack.

Wife won't let me take it off yet, but crossbars are going.

OK I got my cross bars out from the rear. Took off the plastic cover. As decribed above you have to pull up about 4 mm then pull back and it will come out. Squeezing low as you pull up will help.

Cross bars slide right out after you take out one screw.

I did break one plastic tab which I superglued in place them epoxied the base (stronger than before).

To make it easier to reinstall I pulled out the yellow plug and slide that into the cover then the whole piece just goes in with a snap.

PS It looks much better without, should be quieter at high speeds.

Rey Bustos,lexus man in L.A. here again.. 4 months,still no difference in MPG withiout the roof rack. Maybe a touch better but I think it's because I have my tires at 36 PSI now instead of 30 or 32,whatever the deaer had them at...too low..anywho, It's hard to say but the point is, there's little differece and NOT a reason to take off the rack. I just didn't like the roof rack at all, my 400h looks great without it. I love this vehicle more and more as time goes by.

• 2 weeks later...

Rey Bustos, Lexus man in L.A., Five months and still no change in the MPGs so I think that's about it for that matter. But as I said,I didn't take the rack off for that reason but a lot of people asked about that so there it is. I think that Lexus is just the best car made...rack or no rack, great MPGs, great reliability...the list is long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I seem to be losing MPGs after the new Toyo tires, so I'll keep my eyes on that data. I have never felt any change in MPG from taking off the roof rack but I definitely think that the new Toyo tires are killing my MPGs...enough to be a negative but I'll keep track for a few more months before posting any results. Rey Bustos

• 4 weeks later...

Well so far,it's May 2007, the new Toyo tires(Two months old) nor the lack of roof rack make any noticeable difference in MPGs. I still get 25 or 26 MPGs so all is great. I don't know if anything would make any difference MPGwise good or bad that you would notice outside of some drastic modification. Anyway, happy trails, Rey

• 2 months later...

Eight months later,without the roof rack, no noticeable difference in MGP...I still get 24.5-26.5 MPG with every tank. I keep my tire pressure at 38. I live in L.A so the temp is pretty constant here...no winter as some of you may have. I have a small $18 air compressor in the back cargo area and a digital guage so I can keep my eye on the pressure...that seems to be more of an influence than having or not having a roof rack. When the Toyo tires were at 32 I got much less MPGs,about 23...I hadn't noticed that they were that low...I pumped them up to 38...and voila, 26 MPG! Happy trails, Rey in L.A.

post-26996-1188333036_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
OK I got my cross bars out from the rear. Took off the plastic cover. As decribed above you have to pull up about 4 mm then pull back and it will come out. Squeezing low as you pull up will help.

Cross bars slide right out after you take out one screw.

I did break one plastic tab which I superglued in place them epoxied the base (stronger than before).

To make it easier to reinstall I pulled out the yellow plug and slide that into the cover then the whole piece just goes in with a snap.

PS It looks much better without, should be quieter at high speeds.

Can you explain again how to take off the end caps? Are the tabs at the bottom of the caps (where they meet the car top?) I was able to get mine up about 1/8 inch. Thanks

I hope these pictures help. I really like my car without the roof rack. In over a year I have never used it and more than likely never will. Our RX looks great either way so don't do this unless you feel pretty strongly about taking it off. Note on the picture with one of the corner pieces, that the corner piece has to be lifted and THEN pushed forward to be free of the yellow pin. Note I also have "HYBRID" emblems and logotype. All free from the dealer...well, after spending so much cash on this baby,they better throw in a few measely emblems,eh?

Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

I dont know if it been asked yet, but did it change your mileage?

Wil

No, it didn't affect the mileage at all. I find that it's not easy to take away or add gas mileage. My larger Toyo tires did hurt the MPG by perhaps a full MPG, but it may be that I am less dainty with my car now that I've had it a couple of years. Not having the roof rack just makes freeway driving a little quieter. There was no benefit whatsoever in mileage. I took it off because I didn't like it and I really love my RX400h without it. Rey Bustos , happy Lexus owner in L.A.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be taking delivery of an '08 400h in a couple of weeks. It's my impression that the roofrack CROSSBARS are placed in the trunk from the factory and then installed by the dealer.

Since I do not anticipate EVER using the roof rack, would anybody recommend requesting that the dealer NOT install the cross bars? Seems to me that even if there's only marginal to no mileage gain, wind noise would surely be diminished.

Not only that, but I also have a Sienna minivan with a similar roofrack/crossbar arrangement. Last winter, we had one of those 2-3" snowfalls followed by sleet that FROZE with a damn near impenetrable crust. Removing it would have been relatively easy, but those damn crossbars would not allow the chunks of snow to slide forward or back.

It would also be much easier to clean the roof.

Hell, now that I've written these justifications, I'm just going to DEMAND that the dealer NOT install the crossbars and leave 'em in the basement. :rolleyes:

If anybody can think of a good reason for me to have them installed, please opine.

I have experience ZERO wind noise, whatsoever. I have driven in summer, winter, in bad conditions with crosswinds and such, and have found no noise eminating from the overhead crossbars, or roof rack structure. This must be a point where Lexus spent some considerable time in the wind tunnel, and the engineers got it spot on.

My previous history with roof rack with other SUV's I have owned have been mixed. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2001 model was not great, but I did manage to mute the wind noise by adjusting each individual rack in the further position... front bar and rear bar aimed as much to the rear of the vehicle as possible. Wind noise was alot better, and only for those blustery days where you experience flying cows did the roof rack make that annoying whistling sound.

My previous Infiniti aka Pathfinder was Horrendous. It was noisey, and there was nothing you could do about it far from removing it or drowing out the noise by duct taping chickens to the roof rack at all four corners.

Audi S6 wagon was nice and quiet, except if installing the cross over bars... they weren't designed to be "on" all the time and they were much higher than normal so as to accomodate all the various adaptors for different needs. So if you left the cross over bars ON, they were plain noisey.

I too was apprehensive about the 400h, and the roof rack. But I can honestly say it doesn't make noise and the look doesn't sway me in either direction (whether nicer with them on or off).

Cheers,

MadloR

I must apologize, I might have come off as saying that my roof rack was so noisy that I couldn't hear the radio...Jim is perfectly in line here and he is absolutely correct. If I "felt" that there was a reduction in noise after taking it off, it was purely psychological. I never meant to make it seem as if I took it off for that reason nor the other misconception that it was to better my gas MPGs, I get fine MPGs. That one was silly, it is so aerodynamic that there is very little chance of that making any noticeable difference whatsoever. The simple fact is that I took it off because I truly didn't like it nor the way it looked on my pretty car. Besides, I could not see any reason that I would ever need to "pack mule" my car that way. It was personal preference, like tie, no tie...hat,no hat...whatever, it was just personal choice and that's it. Jim is right about all that he said, this is the nicest car that I've ever owned and Lexus of Glendale continues to be a top notch dealership...I've never been this happy with the purchase of a car. I hope I made amends. Warmly, Rey

• 2 months later...

I just ordered a front lip which will be a great addition to my 400h. Little by little as the car gets into its 3 and 4th years of being around, there will be more things to add to and play with. It's fun. It's like when I had my PT Crusier except with a really fine automobile. As soon as I can I will post pictures of the new front end. Happy trails, Rey

• 3 weeks later...
I hope these pictures help. I really like my car without the roof rack. In over a year I have never used it and more than likely never will. Our RX looks great either way so don't do this unless you feel pretty strongly about taking it off. Note on the picture with one of the corner pieces, that the corner piece has to be lifted and THEN pushed forward to be free of the yellow pin. Note I also have "HYBRID" emblems and logotype. All free from the dealer...well, after spending so much cash on this baby,they better throw in a few measely emblems,eh?

Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

Hi, It is nice to see someone really did it. Could you show me how to remove the roof rack? Thanks!

Other than what's on the first page that I started with this post... I don't know how much more I can tell you. I took a few pictures but it's still not easy to explain. It's been a long time since I did it but I lifted the corner piece, revealing the yellow fastener and then I pulled it up to release the corner piece. It was hard and I thought that I was going to break something but I was determined to take that thing off. I hated the look of it. I saw an RX from Europe without it and wondered why they put it on at all! No one that I have ever seen loads stuff up there....anyway, there's a screw at each corner and voila, it was eventually off. Not for the squeemish! I really had to wrestle with each corner. No regrets, it's off and the car looks clean and sleek now without the roof rack. Rey