Roof Rack Removal Photos

I hope these pictures help. I really like my car without the roof rack. In over a year I have never used it and more than likely never will. Our RX looks great either way so don't do this unless you feel pretty strongly about taking it off. Note on the picture with one of the corner pieces, that the corner piece has to be lifted and THEN pushed forward to be free of the yellow pin. Note I also have "HYBRID" emblems and logotype. All free from the dealer...well, after spending so much cash on this baby,they better throw in a few measely emblems,eh?

Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

post-26996-1166218423_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1166218449_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1166218473_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1166735912_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1166735938_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1171919672_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1205978201_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope these pictures help. I really like my car without the roof rack. In over a year I have never used it and more than likely never will. Our RX looks great either way so don't do this unless you feel pretty strongly about taking it off. Note on the picture with one of the corner pieces, that the corner piece has to be lifted and THEN pushed forward to be free of the yellow pin. Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

;)

Not for me...but if you like it that is all that matters! Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

same, i feel that the car looks better with the rood racks but its our opinion that counts.

I can respect that of course....It's such a great car that we should all just be happy we have one,eh? Have a great day Lexers! I do agree that at least the racks are done with a sleek and elegant design, I can go either way and right now I love my Princess without but like a hair do...I can always go back!. Hooray for our differences, eh? Your RX400h buddy, Rey

Great contribution, Ray. I actually like it better "bald" too, but may leave mine on for the very unlikely possibility that I might use it. Or I may just be too lazy to remove it.

Tom

Great contribution, Ray. I actually like it better "balk" too, but may leave mine on for the very unlikely possibility that I might use it. Or I may just be too lazy to remove it.

Tom

I understand Tom, it took me a year to get the courage to do it but as I said, it's all just personal preferences like color,wheels,etc. My last car was a PT Cruiser and it was made to accessorize so I still had the "bug" to change things on my car. I teach at the Art Center College of Design where we produce some of the best car designers in the world so I am surrounded by clever leavers as far as how cars look. Anyway,it's all fun. Our cars are often an extension of our personalities and I am just glad to have such a great car made by such a far thinking company. Happy Holidays and I wish you all peace and love, Rey in sunny L.A.

RXREY!!!

im so sorry, i just reread my post, i meant to say its "YOUR" OPINION THAT COUNTS. wow i must have came out as being an !Removed!

appologies

Yes. I thought at first that it was a bit harsh since I wasn't tellling anyone that they HAD to take off the rack but then I figured that it was't meant the way it was written so don't worry. Thanks for the clarification though. At least now if anyone is even considering removing the roof rack there is a picture of mine to help in deciding. Have a great holiday season and many blessings to you and your family and friends. Rey

didn't you have to tape over the holes or something that were left? I'm about to have the dealer take ours off as it rattles like crazy on the highway. They already replaced the center pieces and they are still lose.

I was proud of this....check this out....I took a magazine holder,the kind that you might see or find at STAPLES for holding magazines that you want to keep on a bookshelf. Well I found one that was made out of thin but sturdy,satin black plastic material that matched the black runners really well. I measured the slots left behind and with a utility knife cut the four pieces (they were about 1 3/8" X 4 3/8"). The ones in the back are slightly longer by the way. Anywho, because the pieces that I cut are plastic I was able to create a curvature to match the black satin bars imbedded on our car....with me still? I'm trying to be as clear as I can be...so then I used the 3M automotive tape to secure them down and I'll tell you, people have been impressed. It's not "custom shop" smooth but "Boy Scout" clever and it worked really well. Only Lexus folks might see what I did! I'd take a picture but you wouldn't be able to tell....I have the pieces on in the photos that I have included and from those,there's no way that you could tell. You'd have to get on my Nerf Bars to see what I did. I just like figuring things out myself and I LOVE the car without the racks more and more. I just added two more pictures (above)) to show you the way the roof looks after I added the plastic pieces to cover the bracket slots left behind from taking off the roof rack. I hope this helps, Rey

Hey Rey:

Did you see any impact on your gas mileage, especially at freeway speeds, after you removed the roof rack? How about a reduction in wind noise?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, it's too early still for an MPG evaluation. I've gotten 26.1 "real" combined MPG(rated 29hwy/34city?) for the one year(Jan3-06-Dec-23-06) that I've had this great machine but I will wait a few months to see if there is any change. I am very meticulous about keepng track of mileage,the on board computer is biased, so I do the math myself. If there's a difference, I'll know, trust me. It will probably be minimal but since I just didn't like the rack, I hadn't even considered that aspect. Interestingly though,when the EPA makes its ratings on the our RX 400h,330 and 350 they do it without the roof rack! I believe they use a 98lb jockey as well but that's just my theory. Wind noise? I was on one of our L.A. freeways today,went 90MPH (easy to do in this jet!) for a little while and it IS quieter, afterall, it is an object on the roof! But then, I felt that it was pretty quiet before...so that too was minimal,but every little bit counts. I have the standard Goodyear tires on and will switch to Michelins when the time comes. I feel that Michelins are better tires and more quiet , but I will take advice from anyone that knows better than I would about that. I have a long way to go before I change tires, I only put 10K miles a year on my car so I have time to research them. I'll make sure I post my MPG findings in around summer of 2007 to give it at least 6 months. Happy driving, Rey

• 2 weeks later...

I'll also be interested in your mpg numbers without the roof rack. You'd expect that they would be better, but its possible that you might actually get worse numbers without the rack. Clearly without the roof rack you should have lower drag, but that is not always a good thing.

The roof is an area of low pressure just like the top of an airplane wing, as a result it tends to lift the car off the road resulting in slightly less traction. Turbulence from the roof rack could result in less of the Bernoulli effect. Also the roof rack could create turbulence that would tend to spill over the back of the RX and fill in the partial vacuum created there at highway speeds. This vacuum "sucks" the car back and really lowers mpg at high speed.

While I suspect slightly better mileage, it could go either way.

I have always been disappointed that Toyota didn't do more to enhance the aerodynamics of the RX-400. Changes on the tall, blocky RX-330 here would have made much more difference than does the streamlining of the much smaller Prius.

BTW: I really like the no rack roof look and am thinking about doing. You don't happen to have a link to the magazine rack that you used or its SKU number?

Hey Rey:

Did you see any impact on your gas mileage, especially at freeway speeds, after you removed the roof rack? How about a reduction in wind noise?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, it's too early still for an MPG evaluation. I've gotten 26.1 "real" combined MPG(rated 29hwy/34city?) for the one year(Jan3-06-Dec-23-06) that I've had this great machine but I will wait a few months to see if there is any change. I am very meticulous about keepng track of mileage,the on board computer is biased, so I do the math myself. If there's a difference, I'll know, trust me. It will probably be minimal but since I just didn't like the rack, I hadn't even considered that aspect. ... Rey

I'll also be interested in your mpg numbers without the roof rack. You'd expect that they would be better, but its possible that you might actually get worse numbers without the rack. Clearly without the roof rack you should have lower drag, but that is not always a good thing.

The roof is an area of low pressure just like the top of an airplane wing, as a result it tends to lift the car off the road resulting in slightly less traction. Turbulence from the roof rack could result in less of the Bernoulli effect. Also the roof rack could create turbulence that would tend to spill over the back of the RX and fill in the partial vacuum created there at highway speeds. This vacuum "sucks" the car back and really lowers mpg at high speed.

While I suspect slightly better mileage, it could go either way.

I have always been disappointed that Toyota didn't do more to enhance the aerodynamics of the RX-400. Changes on the tall, blocky RX-330 here would have made much more difference than does the streamlining of the much smaller Prius.

BTW: I really like the no rack roof look and am thinking about doing. You don't happen to have a link to the magazine rack that you used or its SKU number?

RESPONSE to MARKATTY, fom RXREY (Rey Bustos),

No, I just looked around the house until I found something that would work. If I hadn't found that I would have gone to Home Depot or some such place and found something to fill that opening. I tend to do what I want first and then figure out what to do next. It's a little risky but I guess that's why I've always been successful, hehee. You know what I mean though, don't you? About the magazine holder? It's an empty box with an opening on the front 3/4? They are about 4" wide and fit about 15 magazines? I've seen them at Staples and other office supply stores, the plastic ones are perfect. If anything,until you find the right thing you can just put electrical tape over the 1X4" slot and no one will know, until you find the right object to put in there. I really like the car more and more without the rack and I've always liked having something just a little different. I suppose if none of the RXs came with a rack, I'd have one on! I'm silly that way. Anyway,people say nice things and they can't put their finger on it but they say that my RX (besides always being spotless) looks better than the others they've seen....it's our little secret..only RX folk would know. I also have chrome nerf bars so that along with the lack of the roof rack makes it look lower and sportier. To each his own,right? About the MPGs...still haven't even gone one tank so no difference either way so far but as I said,in six months,I'll know. I didn't consider that in that I just didn't like the darned thing and with gas going over the $3 soon it's so expensive anyway, I can cut down tremendously in other ways in my business to not have that matter as much. I will not stop enjoying driving...dammit! Keep me posted and I'll help in any way that I can. Toodle-loo and have a great new year. Rey,the Anatomy Nut in L.A.

Hey Rey:

Thanks, Bob

Bob, it's too early still for an MPG evaluation. I've gotten 26.1 "real" combined MPG(rated 29hwy/34city?) for the one year(Jan3-06-Dec-23-06) that I've had this great machine but I will wait a few months to see if there is any change. I am very meticulous about keepng track of mileage,the on board computer is biased, so I do the math myself. If there's a difference, I'll know, trust me. It will probably be minimal but since I just didn't like the rack, I hadn't even considered that aspect. ... Rey

I hope these pictures help. I really like my car without the roof rack. In over a year I have never used it and more than likely never will. Our RX looks great either way so don't do this unless you feel pretty strongly about taking it off. Note on the picture with one of the corner pieces, that the corner piece has to be lifted and THEN pushed forward to be free of the yellow pin. Note I also have "HYBRID" emblems and logotype. All free from the dealer...well, after spending so much cash on this baby,they better throw in a few measely emblems,eh?

Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

Might try that too ... looks nice and yea, how oftem does anyone really carry so much junk that you ever need the rack. Maybe it'll reduce the drag coefficiency :^) Did you add the running boards? We've been looking at the stock ones that look as though they're molded in to fit right into the body, matching the existing paint.

I did add the nerf bars. I actually did something silly, I bid on two sets on eBay and won both sets! So I have an extra set if you'd like them. One set,the ones on my car were new,the other set are used. I will probably try to sell them on ebay but if anyone wants them I'd ask $50 just to make sure I can ship them out to anyone that wants them. I do that every once in a while, bid on something and then find something a little better,in this case brand new ones instead of used, bid low thinking that I won't get them and then end up with two of something! I also have a grill guard that I thought would fit my 400h but it's for an RX330 or 350. I didn't realize then that the fronts are different! So,another mistake and another product sitting in my storage closet. I have seen the running boards that you want and they do look great. I personally like the chrome bars better but either way I like the look better than stock. Let me know if you do take off the rack and how it went. Rey

• 1 month later...

Hey RXREY,

How would I go about removing only the crossrails? I have been told locally that they cannot be removed but I find that hard to believe. Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can only take off the crossrails by taking off the whole rack. At least that's the way I saw it having taken off the whole thing. You actually have to slide them off of the end of the rack. Rey

Well, it made me a little nervous to try to take the corners off because they are really snug and,well, the car is really expensive right? I could only imagine a nightmarish image of trying to take off the rack and peeling the roof off like a smoked oyster tin...but I am the persistant type and get determined with everything that I do and the more I thought of the car without that silly rack, the more I really wanted it off! Once I pulled up,and as I mentioned before I wore gardeners gloves to give me more ability to pull without hrting my hands, I saw what it was fastened to...at least a little. It made me really nervous but I pulled the right rear up and pushed the corner back at the same time and it gave and it was off. Once I did one, the rest were easier in that I felt committed and more sure of myself. It's too difficult for me to describe the way it's attached but it's like a yellow toggle type pin...anyway,up and back...the front ones, up and forward and as I said,it doesn't feel like it will givve, but it will so stick with it. It wasn't meant to be easily taken off ya know! But, once the corners are off, it's easy. There are bolts holding each corner down and you just turn them off. they are tight but I used a ratchet...I think it was 1/2"...anyway... As I mentioned before I was left with four channels that I had to cover up they are approximately 1X4 inches and I put black satin plastic to fit and wide electrical tape over that and no one can see it unless you get on my nerf bars and look. Check out my pictures again. The pictures don't include the tape either so it looks even better now. I love it with a clean top. I'm getting mud guards for all four wheel wells next..they are on their way. I hope that i was able to help. let me know if you need more help or if more pictures might help. I should have taken pictures of the open slots left by the removal but ...well, be creative and fill the slots. Rey in L.A.

Sorry my reply was way too long winded and I just realized that you were only asking if I thought, as your dealer said, that by taking off the corners you can take off the cross bars? Hmm, I don't know about that...there is more to it than that. There's a screw at each corner preventing the cross bars from sliding all of the way out. I can do it but only because my whole rack is off. I'll have to look at the whole rack again and see if I would be able to do what you want, if my rack was still on my car now that I know about those screws. Make sense? I'd wait and either rethink the operation or perhaps let Lexus do it...(that gives me the willies to say)...but I'd hate to have you damage your car. See, once I decided to take off my rack, I no longer cared if by some chance I might damage the corner(s) or the rack...but you just want the cross bars off and I don't think it's worth what I had to go through for simply taking off the cross bars. See what I mean? Leave it as it is, leave them on or take the whole thing off is my advice. All or nothin'! Rey

Hey Rey:

Thanks, Bob

It's been about three months of being "bald" and I haven't noticed any difference good or bad on the mileage. I changed my tire pressure to 34 and the car feels better and that might make more of an impact on the mileage but it isn't going to be anything that will be written up in the science journals so I'd say..no, no noticeable change in MPGs. Rey

Feb 18 2007

Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

I dig your running boards ... that's next on the list of honey-do's.