Ls460...is It Just Me?

I just don't see that at all...

Front.jpg

Front.jpg

am i the only one seeing the resemblance. during the day i can distinguish the two, but at night (i.e. in the rearview mirror at a stop light) i find the resemblance to be too close.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a misty day I had trouble recognizing between the new ES and LS, but that is about it. They both do look similar from a distance but not up close and definitely not if sitting side by side each other.

IMO, the IS and ES look very different and especially in the above two pictures.

All of the new Lexus sedans do resemble each other but are easily recognizable from a reasonable distance.

All of the new Lexus sedans do resemble each other but are easily recognizable from a reasonable distance.

that is the bottom line. They purposely make it like this so that it has some family resemblance. they have to look like each other so people know that this look is unique to lexus. but i woudlnt say that the two are "identical". they can be hard to distinguish at the same time tho...does it really matter?

wow, im very wishy washy in this post.

kerry

I think they have a family resemblance but no moreso than many other cars do to their stablemates. I've never mistaken an IS for an ES or vice versa, for one the ES is so much bigger, the IS has such crisper lines...

There is a darned good reason that the Mercedes S550's styling is a significant departure from the styling of its siblings.

When Mercedes introduced the W220 S-class in 1999-2000, it was ridiculed by Mercedes owners and in the automotive press for looking way too much like the less expensive Mercedes models. In fact, there was quite a scramble amoung Mercedes enthusiasts to buy up the very last of the previous W140 "Panzerwagen" S-Class models -- especially the previous S500 and S600.

The darned good reason is that you have not yet seen spy shots of the upcoming redesigned C class. Merecedes is generally taking the same direction with the C as they did with the S especially with the back.

I think they have a family resemblance but no moreso than many other cars do to their stablemates. I've never mistaken an IS for an ES or vice versa, for one the ES is so much bigger, the IS has such crisper lines...

i guess everyone has two cars that they find hard to distinguish. IS & ES for me, LS & ES for most of you. except SW03ES, he can distinguish anything at anytime :lol:

Well Swo, I'm impressed!! You know, they say Acceptance is the first step to recovery. :cheers: unless of course if you hang out with me, and in that case, my moto is "nobody likes a quiter."

G35 kicks ES butt! :lol::pirate:

I don't know, that ES and IS do have some similar lines. The only distinction I could make was the front bumper cover. IS with a more aggressive and the ES with a more conservative one. The ES is a little wider compared to the IS, and the Grills have different patterns to them.

The family traits are definitely there and showing. It definitely gives them character.

Anyway, let;s get back the LS. Anybody else say it's too much of a BMW 7-series?

:blushing: BTW SW, you're not a dork, just a flake who needs a life. :lol::cheers:

You know, being an architectural designer, you'd think I'd have a better handle on picking out distinguishing features of automobiles. And I am.

I think my main gripe (and the whole reason I started this thread) wasn't because I don't like the new design approach (L-finese) and perhaps not even so much because the IS & ES look alike and the ES & LS share too many similarities. My real gripe is with Lexus' decision to sculpt so closely to the lines of Toyota's top models (Avalon & Camry).

I've always thought the new LS is a nice looking car. It's just that so much air has been let out of that balloon due to the fact that so many of it's design cues were already used on the Avolon and Camry.

Case in point: What made the newer Cadillacs (CTS, STS) so popular and widely accepted - besides the fact that one of them made it's debut in "The Matrix Revolutions"? They were FRESH and UNIQUE! They didn't borrow cues from Chevy, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, or anybody else. They stood on their own two feet.

Is it too much to expect for Lexus to do the same? That's what my real beef is.

And, Steve, don't worry about the comment. I'm cool. Maybe some animations along with those type of statements would help better communicate your intent.

Actually thats true lol, I can distinguish almost any car model from a distance. Been able to since I was 6 or 7 years old.

Yep, I'm a dork.

hey you surely arent alone. i too have been able to distinguish anything from quite a long distance as well, also from a young age. thats why im currently mad at the ES350, its ruined my streak!

You know, being an architectural designer, you'd think I'd have a better handle on picking out distinguishing features of automobiles. And I am.

I think my main gripe (and the whole reason I started this thread) wasn't because I don't like the new design approach (L-finese) and perhaps not even so much because the IS & ES look alike and the ES & LS share too many similarities. My real gripe is with Lexus' decision to sculpt so closely to the lines of Toyota's top models (Avalon & Camry).

well if you think about it, havent the past gen lexus models mimicked the past gen toyotas a little bit too? definitely the ES mimics the Camry (in all generations), im not sure about the older LS's and Avalons though.

well if you think about it, havent the past gen lexus models mimicked the past gen toyotas a little bit too? definitely the ES mimics the Camry (in all generations), im not sure about the older LS's and Avalons though.

True, true. And not that it was excusable back then, but even moreso now you'd expect them to pull away and create their own design language for their lineup. They've proven that they CAN do it with such entries as the 2nd gen SC, the IS, the 1st & 2nd gen LS, and most notably IMHO the 1st gen SC.

I too notice quite a similarity in the avalons and older LS's, especially the head lights.

I think it's just going to take some time for the market place to accept and get use to all the new toyota cars running around out there now. So many changes to so many models all at once, is sort of update-overload, especially when they were done with such similar "not same" design characteristics. My bet? Those of us who can't see the real uniqueness of the LS460 over the other models "me included" will probably be praising them in 5 or 6 years, sitting in our garages with 80k miles on them, as our "new" cars.

There were no Avalons at the time. The Avalon came out in 1995, the first year of the second gen LS. There was a Toyota Cressida that bore quite a resemblance to the LS.

Hey, now that you bring up the Cressida, I've always thought the Cressida and the very first gen ES (ES250) bore striking resemblance. Now that was one short-lived production run. :lol: (on the ES250, that is)

And, yes, the 1st and 2nd gen LSs definately we targeting the Mercedes S-class devotes with the styling those front headlamps and grills struck.

See now thats interesting, people constantly accuse Lexus of copying the Benz S class with the LS, ESPECIALLY the first and second gen...
I've heard that statement before in a magazine or something, and I think they are two very different looking cars. I really can't see any resemblence between the two of them (maybe, someone could say that the '98-'00 LS head lights are similar to the W140s', but that's about all that I can see and even that is a stretch.). I think pretty much every Lexus is unique except for the slightly Bangle-like trunk on some of the models.

7da3_4.JPG

9368_12.JPG

7dc1_4.JPG

97a7_12.JPG

Is it just me or do these two cars look nothing alike?

Well I can see where people are soming from with the 80's S-class and the 1st Ls400. When the S has euro headlights the two cars look similar. Also look at the hood lines of the LS and S. Almost exactly the same. Other than that... I really don't see it. The LS looks way better in and out anyway.

We can all say that the LS430 totally ripped the 90's S-class Coupe. Just take a look for yourself.

P1012519.JPG

DSCN50880277.JPG

2435stk033.jpg

DSCN50920281.JPG