Anyone Installl Rear Spoiler Themselves?

I've seen the instructions. It doesn't seem to difficult if you take your time and be careful. It does require drilling 2 holes in the trunk lid though.

Is that price for the spoiler including installation? I know you can buy the OEM spoiler alone for around $200, so if that's the total, it's not too bad.

The Lexus dealer told me they wanted $330 to istall. I think I'll do it myself. Any tips/pics/advice???

Jimbo

They (the OEM) are not available in the UK so I purchased mine in Houston, hand carried it home and fitted it myself. You need to drill three holes in the trunk... two 12mm dia and one 8mm dia. The paper template in the kit is pretty well foolproof for marking the positions of the holes, as are the instructions.....just make very sure you remove all the drilling chips :o or it's a recipe for corrosion in the panels. I used duct tape on the inside surfaces before drilling, also a large magnet to catch the drillings before blowing out with an airline.

The instructions call for disconnection of the battery terminal, which isn't really necessary. The removal of the cover tapes rom the adhesive strips for the final sticking down is probably the most tricky part of the process, and of course you need to be brave to take a drill to the trunk ;)

Good luck. IF you look at the Sewell, Dallas website you can find a copy of the instructions for fitting that comes with the lip kit.

You can get a color matched OEM spoiler on ebay for around $170 w/ shipping. Try they seller "Park Place Lexus" theyre pretty legit since theyre a real dealer.

As for installation it cant be hard if you have instructions.

Be very careful you drill the holes in the right places and you seal them well.

I installed a few spoilers on hondas and it was cake. I never had any experience doing car work, just some basic skills with tools.

To be honest I think the OEM IS spoiler looks pretty !Removed!, which is why i didnt get it.

Has anyone seen decent aftermarket ones?

You can get a color matched OEM spoiler on ebay for around $170 w/ shipping. Try they seller "Park Place Lexus" theyre pretty legit since theyre a real dealer.

As for installation it cant be hard if you have instructions.

Be very careful you drill the holes in the right places and you seal them well.

I installed a few spoilers on hondas and it was cake. I never had any experience doing car work, just some basic skills with tools.

To be honest I think the OEM IS spoiler looks pretty !Removed!, which is why i didnt get it.

Has anyone seen decent aftermarket ones?

How about some ridiculous whale tail? Or wait, let's junk up the car with some 20" chrome spinners. Even better, let's put an aftermarket exhaust system that makes it sound like a mountain lion choking on a piece of meat.

Hmmmm...i don't remeber suggesting any of that.

There actually are some decent aftermarket parts, and a whole lot more junk.

• 3 weeks later...

OK... I installed the spoiler myself. It wasn't very hard, but the template sucks. You have to line it up on rounded edges. As a result, I had to open up the three holes a bit to get the spoiler to fit. It wasn't bad to do and it took me less than an hour. $330 for the dealer to do this would have been a ripoff.