Upgrade 2000 Gs To 2001+ Gs Radio Possible?

Has anyone upgraded their 98-00 GS premium radio to the 01+ radio with RDS? I did a search and understand that the wiring harnesses are different. If the wires are spliced together will the system work or is there more involved?

Also, does the 01+ display CD information? If so, would I presume I would need to upgrade the CD changer.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Has anyone upgraded their 98-00 GS premium radio to the 01+ radio with RDS? I did a search and understand that the wiring harnesses are different. If the wires are spliced together will the system work or is there more involved?

Also, does the 01+ display CD information? If so, would I presume I would need to upgrade the CD changer.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

yes its just splicing the correct wires together. the 2001 headunit will read out ipod adapter , xm and serius radio the cd changer didnt change from so no problem with that. the problem is getting an accurate pin out for the 98 gs 10 and 6 pin radio connectors as it like no other lexus radio connctor. . in 2001 they pretty well standarized the radio 20 pin connector so all lexus pretty much the same. there are 2 20 pin connctors on ebay. one is for digital amps and one for analog toyota amps. get the one that is 12.99 from pagan stereo . it has right wiring for digital amps. not the one that is below 10.00 on ebay and is called best kit. its analog amp. also you will need the standard 6 and 10 speaker adapters for toyota. 5 to 10.00 metra 70-1761. . but you have to change all; the wires for 98 gs. i use a jewlers screwdriver to unlock the pins. so once that is done the radio connctors will plug into the 6 and 10 pin adapter and the other end of jumper harness with the 20 pin plug into the 2001 radio. i have always meant to make them up in quantity but never got around to it. the connector parts would be around 20.00 and i was going to charge 40.00 for them. but it would only woork on 98 to 2000 pioneer gs headunit p1708. it wouldnt work on nakamichi which has all diffewrent connctors.

Really appreciate the information. :cheers: So if I understand correctly, I connect the six and ten adapters to the vehicle. I connect the 20 pin adapter to the 01+ radio. Then it is just a matter of conecting the right wires together?

Also, do you know where can I get a wiring diagram? Do the 01+ radios have the lcd problem? Thanks in advance.

Really appreciate the information. :cheers: So if I understand correctly, I connect the six and ten adapters to the vehicle. I connect the 20 pin adapter to the 01+ radio. Then it is just a matter of conecting the right wires together?

Also, do you know where can I get a wiring diagram? Do the 01+ radios have the lcd problem? Thanks in advance.

toyota has website of technical information .it cost 10/00 a day 50.00 a month 360.00 a year.