Check Engine + Trac Off -> P1135 And P1130

john_letour

Model: ES300 2000

Ok, there are plenty of threads about CEL + TO lights:

a.) I understand that P1135 indicates that one has to change the bank 1 sensor 1 oxygen sensor (correct ?); is this the UP- or DOWN-stream sensor ?

b.) in addition to that I also got a P1130 ("Manfacurer Contrl. Fuel Air Metering") code. What does it refer to - the other oxygen sensor or do both codes refer to the same sensor ?

c.) is this an oxygen sensor or air/fuel sensor ? Is there a difference ?

d.) on the list of pending codes there was also P0440 (EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction) listed. Was does it refer to ?

e.) - do I need any special tools to do the replacement work ?

- can I use replacement parts I buy at, say, autozone ?

- what is a O2 socket (I read about in some other CEL post) and where do I get one ?

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate any input !

...So I called the LExus dealer and gave him my VIN number and they confirmed for me (twice - I called twice) that my car has supposedly 3 oxygen sensors. So I bougt an oxygen sensor from advance auto parts (a "Bosch OEM") - but the plug doesn't fit !!!

I searched this forum but couldn't find anything related to "plug" issues - is it possible that it is the correct sensor but the plug doesn't fit ??? Do I have to cut and crimp - or is it maybe that t is not a oxygen but a af sensor after all ???

[since this was the first time I hugged my car so closely (I did the operation from the top) I noticed the tremendous amounts of electrical tape that are on all type of wires - and I am the first owner (all that was ever supposed to have been done was the regular maintenance). Is this possible - new cars that look as if some 2-nd rate electrician trained on them ....??]

Well, regardless of what the dealer told me over the phone (twice !) - once the sensor was out, the connector of the replacement oxygen sensor (Bosch, from advance auto parts) did not fit... so I checked the part no. (now that I had it) with the dealer - and it turns out to be an air/fuel sensor after all !!!! (it turns out my car has 2 af and 1 ox sensors)

(one of them moments where I wonder about the decaying quality of hired help... and where I miss my mercedeses !!!)

Note: interesting enough - I sent www.lexuspartsstore.com the VIN nr and asked about the sensors - and they got it right !! (it took them 3 days via email though). They sell it for 165.50$ (plus shipping).

So I found a replacement on densoproducts.com - for 162.50 Plus shipping - but since I'm getting itchy about the time that I've had this malfunction (over a week); and since with the shipping the price difference is not that big anymore - I'll go ahead and buy it from Toyota (they charge about 6 - 7 % less than Lexus) for about 200.

(interesting enough - all auto- zones and -parts, and so on, stores sell the (cheaper) ox senssors but not the af sensors - seems that only denso is making them...)

As far as consulting the Lexus FSMs on this issue - Toysrme was right - the 2001 manual reflects the codes + set-up of my 2000 model (which was manufactured in '99 - with tons of electrical tape, if I may add sheesh!))

PS: Anyway, I've noticed that no one but blkonblk has answered to this post - probably because this issue of faulty sensors has been discussed a lot. Nevertheless it is not easy for a newbie to navigate the old posts - so I added these comments, in case someone else finds them helpful.

PS: Anyway, I've noticed that no one but blkonblk has answered to this post - probably because this issue of faulty sensors has been discussed a lot. Nevertheless it is not easy for a newbie to navigate the old posts - so I added these comments, in case someone else finds them helpful.

your are most likely right. I did a simple search on "P1135" for 7 days ago and older in all forums and it came up with 30 threads discussing this trouble code. The best thing that any newbie can do is is to become proficient at using the search function.

steviej

@ Steviej

The problem is not the search - the thing is that you almost HAVE TO read those 30 threads to get the COMPLETE information you need - I think it would be great if everyone sums up the steps to solving his problem in one-two final posts once he is done - that would give much better info to the new newbies ... (or, once a post like these is complete, as far as the info is concerned, it could be moved to a general maintenance section)

hey, you need an AF sensor, get them at like oxygensensors.com, i got mine there for my 2000 solara. As for the location, i'm not sure how to post the PDF but I'll try, you can email me directly if it doesn't work, i also have some other service pdfs.

brokenstuff@repairman.com

I have to change the b1s1 sensor but have yet to do so out of lazyness and preferential treatment towards my gs3... not to mention its cold outside and I don't really know what i'm doing. yay for DIY

parloc2.pdf

parloc.pdf

@ Steviej

The problem is not the search - the thing is that you almost HAVE TO read those 30 threads to get the COMPLETE information you need - I think it would be great if everyone sums up the steps to solving his problem in one-two final posts once he is done - that would give much better info to the new newbies ... (or, once a post like these is complete, as far as the info is concerned, it could be moved to a general maintenance section)

that really isn't the way bulletin board websites routinely work. There are websites like ALLDATA.com that have a subscription fee that do have step by step procedures. Unfortunately here and on many other boards, part of searching is reading. Try searching in the Workshop Tutorial section as your idea may have already come to fruition.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same 1135 error code and I am trying to get this fixed ASAP. I just fixed my IAC valve the other day so it's annoying that another expensive problem came up...I fixed the IACV in about 1 hour with a friend and it was so easy and the dealership was going to charge me $550 for the job.

I was just wondering how much the job cost you and did you do it yourself? If so, can you give any pointers or show my any DIY posts or other sites you used?

• 10 months later...

Hello John_Letour,

I have the same code as yours, P1130 & P1135 - Manufacturer Controlled Fuel & Air Metering. What did you do to fix the problem please. Did you replace the Sensors or Mass Air Flow Meter to correct the codes. Thank you very much.

-NG