Instrument Cluster Change Out

blk_on_blk

So, like many of you all, I've got the failing needle lights in my speedo and tach... well, those are actually completely gone, and the fuel and temp needles are flickering (I turned down the brightness for the time being... seems to have cured the flickering).

So... I've done my homework and found that it's $$$ to get these things rebuilt... sheesh, somewhere they want like $150 PER NEEDLE!! ( such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=300057733040 ) What is it, brain surgery to repair these? Anyhow, in all that I've ready, it seems the best way is to change out the whole cluster with a replacement one. That's like a 30 minute job one can do in their garage... even found a link of how to take it out of the dash.

My question is does anyone know which years are interchangeable? I've seen mixed reports... 92-96, but then another site says 94-96. It's a risk to buy a used one that the seller can't confirm if the needles work, but it's probably cheaper buy one or two of those and take a chance than have them rebuilt... a total rebuilt one is nearly $500 on eBay! What was Toyota thinking when they put in "diode lights" in their gauges... can't they just put in the tried and true refraction needles like everyone else???

• 3 weeks later...

So, like many of you all, I've got the failing needle lights in my speedo and tach... well, those are actually completely gone, and the fuel and temp needles are flickering (I turned down the brightness for the time being... seems to have cured the flickering).

So... I've done my homework and found that it's $$$ to get these things rebuilt... sheesh, somewhere they want like $150 PER NEEDLE!! ( such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=300057733040 ) What is it, brain surgery to repair these? Anyhow, in all that I've ready, it seems the best way is to change out the whole cluster with a replacement one. That's like a 30 minute job one can do in their garage... even found a link of how to take it out of the dash.

My question is does anyone know which years are interchangeable? I've seen mixed reports... 92-96, but then another site says 94-96. It's a risk to buy a used one that the seller can't confirm if the needles work, but it's probably cheaper buy one or two of those and take a chance than have them rebuilt... a total rebuilt one is nearly $500 on eBay! What was Toyota thinking when they put in "diode lights" in their gauges... can't they just put in the tried and true refraction needles like everyone else???

Dashusa.com can help you with this problem. All of the needles except the fuel gauge had "burned out" on my '94 ES300 so I had my dash assembly removed by a local mechanic and then I shipped the assembly (prepaid return shipping) to Steve at Dashusa. Be sure to wrap the assembly in several layers of bubble wrap then surround this with 5 or 6 inches of foam peanuts to protect the assembly. They replaced the needles and shipped it back for approximately $360 two years ago. The local mechanic charged $100 to remove and replace the assembly. Dashusa did a great job and the new needles look better than the old ones in my opinion. Have not had any problems with the repair. I highly recommend them.

I had similar problems to you all. One had completely gone and two of the others fickering badly. I managed to buy a used instrument cluster which I was assured was working correctly. I simply removed the needles I wanted and very carefully fitted them into mine. took about 30 minutes and are all working perfectly now. From the same source I got the hood struts. Total cost in New Zealand dollars. $120 about $90 US. I will hang on to the cluster for the dash bulbs and the fuel needle which wasn't faulty. or whatever may arise. I have had the car for over 5 years and fortunatly have not experienced any of the head gasket or overheating problems so often disscussed on the forums

• 3 months later...
Dashusa.com can help you with this problem. All of the needles except the fuel gauge had "burned out" on my '94 ES300 so I had my dash assembly removed by a local mechanic and then I shipped the assembly (prepaid return shipping) to Steve at Dashusa. Be sure to wrap the assembly in several layers of bubble wrap then surround this with 5 or 6 inches of foam peanuts to protect the assembly. They replaced the needles and shipped it back for approximately $360 two years ago. The local mechanic charged $100 to remove and replace the assembly. Dashusa did a great job and the new needles look better than the old ones in my opinion. Have not had any problems with the repair. I highly recommend them.

Whatever you do, I would not recommend DASHUSA for any speedometer or any repair of any kind. DashUSA Auto Electronics & Speedometer http://dashusa.com/ . They have had my instrument cluster for over a month and three weeks ago they were paid and was told by Steve's rep that the cluster would be shipped that day. Its now three weeks later and I have called them various times and left messages. The last two times (about two weeks ago) was the last time I talked to STEVE himself and he told me both times that he would call me back, and to this day has not. I am unable to use my car for over a month now. I left them a message to either send the repaired item back or refund the money and send back the cluster and I can take it elsewhere for repairs, but no luck. They have caller ID, so they are avoiding my calls. This is a sad way of doing business. I found out that I was not the only one complaining about DASHUSA, they have had complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau so I decided to file one myself. BUYER BEWARE OF DASHUSA I just found out through a different forum that they have a toll free number #888-909-9473 but still no answer. I would hate for you to send in your instrument cluster and go through this. If anyone can get a hold of this place let me know. Don' take a chance like I did, check the BBB site before you do business no matter what. I will be contacting Jim Walker and hear nothing but GREAT things about him especially online...I bought this car for my wife and now its sitting in the driveway...

Whatever you do, I would not recommend DASHUSA for any speedometer or any repair of any kind. DashUSA Auto Electronics & Speedometer http://dashusa.com/ . They have had my instrument cluster for over a month and three weeks ago they were paid and was told by Steve's rep that the cluster would be shipped that day. Its now three weeks later and I have called them various times and left messages. The last two times (about two weeks ago) was the last time I talked to STEVE himself and he told me both times that he would call me back, and to this day has not. I am unable to use my car for over a month now. I left them a message to either send the repaired item back or refund the money and send back the cluster and I can take it elsewhere for repairs, but no luck. They have caller ID, so they are avoiding my calls. This is a sad way of doing business. I found out that I was not the only one complaining about DASHUSA, they have had complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau so I decided to file one myself. BUYER BEWARE OF DASHUSA I just found out through a different forum that they have a toll free number #888-909-9473 but still no answer. I would hate for you to send in your instrument cluster and go through this. If anyone can get a hold of this place let me know. Don' take a chance like I did, check the BBB site before you do business no matter what. I will be contacting Jim Walker and hear nothing but GREAT things about him especially online...I bought this car for my wife and now its sitting in the driveway...