Plenty Of Noise...please Help

I HAVE SEARCHED PAST POSTS!!! :unsure:

I am aware that the cold weather can bring noise.... This is my first winter with the GS and I'm not sure whats normal and whats a broken...anything

The creaking noise just began a couple of days ago when the temp dropped from like 70 to 20.

My 98 gs300, (113k) has began to have a loud creaking noise when im breaking at slow speeds, along with a slight grunting sound when accelerating (only in drive. Doesn't occur when accelerating in park).

Ive had the grunting sound checked out in an inspection and no one can find anything. 3 different mechanics said that everything looks good in my suspension. I know that they each believed that i have vehicular munchausens syndrome, since all sounds stopped each time i tried to show them.

Eventually someone heard the grunting and thought that it might be a rattling O2 sensor that i recently installed. So.... I had it checked out, and no one could find anything remotely loose, cracked, or otherwise bad...

I have had the complete passenger side suspension replaced after a summer accident so I know that these pieces are new.....

Im not toooo car saavvy so don't be appauled at my ignorance. I am about to make my second 14hr drive from Nashville to Queens, so I need to know that I'll make it there on all 4 wheels. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any ideas where to begin.

I HAVE SEARCHED PAST POSTS!!! :unsure:

I am aware that the cold weather can bring noise.... This is my first winter with the GS and I'm not sure whats normal and whats a broken...anything

The creaking noise just began a couple of days ago when the temp dropped from like 70 to 20.

My 98 gs300, (113k) has began to have a loud creaking noise when im breaking at slow speeds, along with a slight grunting sound when accelerating (only in drive. Doesn't occur when accelerating in park).

Ive had the grunting sound checked out in an inspection and no one can find anything. 3 different mechanics said that everything looks good in my suspension. I know that they each believed that i have vehicular munchausens syndrome, since all sounds stopped each time i tried to show them.

Eventually someone heard the grunting and thought that it might be a rattling O2 sensor that i recently installed. So.... I had it checked out, and no one could find anything remotely loose, cracked, or otherwise bad...

I have had the complete passenger side suspension replaced after a summer accident so I know that these pieces are new.....

Im not toooo car saavvy so don't be appauled at my ignorance. I am about to make my second 14hr drive from Nashville to Queens, so I need to know that I'll make it there on all 4 wheels. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any ideas where to begin.

Im getting the same "Creaking" sound I think you're getting when braking at low speeds at my 00 gs300. I have had multiple shops check it out and they say they cant see a problem, but they can hear it. Repost if you find the problem

could be ball joints. if they're original, they need to be replaced.

Are you saying that a gs with 113k needs new ball joints ? Why do you say that ?

yup. they wear pretty fast on the gs and from what I've read, sometimes you can't tell they're shot until they are dis assembled.

search ball joints under gs 2nd gen at CL, you'll see.

could be ball joints. if they're original, they need to be replaced.

Are you saying that a gs with 113k needs new ball joints ? Why do you say that ?

yup. they wear pretty fast on the gs and from what I've read, sometimes you can't tell they're shot until they are dis assembled.

search ball joints under gs 2nd gen at CL, you'll see.

Will do, Thx for the heads up :cheers:

well, I made the trip to the dealer and they checked out both issues, the creaking front end and the rattling, and here is the diagnosis:

1. Rattling at take off: loose front pipe connected to heat shield. Options are to cut the shaking part of the heat shield off or replace the shield and attached pipe for 550 +labor

2. Creaking front end : rusted brake shims. They lubed them, but it wore off within the same day.

I would like to consider replacing the shims because it will drive me insane. Does anyone know how that works?:whistles: Thanks