No Tpms - No Problem

BTW, for those that were wondering what happens when you install a set of tires without TPMS, I did it, and here's the scoop.

I bought a set of winter tires and wheels for my IS250. Spent $890 for machined 7 spoke 16" alloy wheels and a set of Michelin X-Ice tires. 225/50QR 16 - Front and 225/55QR 16 - Rear. Didn't spend the money for the TPMS. Another $500 was more than I wanted to spend.

When I first started the car up to drive it around, I got no warning signals, and thought I had beaten the bug. Then after about 25 miles, there was a ding, and the red caution light came on in the center of the display, the yellow tire light came on in the lower right and the display read something like "you've got a problem - check it out."

No continuous blinking lights, no continuous dingings. Can I live with the little red and yellow lights? You bet - in exchange for the $500 for the TPMS.

And if I want to see what the rest of the display really reads, I just need to put my thumb on the Disp button on the right side of the wheel, and when I press it, it cycles through like normal.

larry

BTW, for those that were wondering what happens when you install a set of tires without TPMS, I did it, and here's the scoop.

I bought a set of winter tires and wheels for my IS250. Spent $890 for machined 7 spoke 16" alloy wheels and a set of Michelin X-Ice tires. 225/50QR 16 - Front and 225/55QR 16 - Rear. Didn't spend the money for the TPMS. Another $500 was more than I wanted to spend.

When I first started the car up to drive it around, I got no warning signals, and thought I had beaten the bug. Then after about 25 miles, there was a ding, and the red caution light came on in the center of the display, the yellow tire light came on in the lower right and the display read something like "you've got a problem - check it out."

No continuous blinking lights, no continuous dingings. Can I live with the little red and yellow lights? You bet - in exchange for the $500 for the TPMS.

And if I want to see what the rest of the display really reads, I just need to put my thumb on the Disp button on the right side of the wheel, and when I press it, it cycles through like normal.

larry

awwhh larry, I can't deal with the lights, especially on a $40K car. I got the TPS and spent the (gulp) $500.

I am happy (the kids won't be able to eat for a few months though). take a picture of your winter setup, I'll do the same. Blizzak LM-25 with Sport Edition E1 rims.

Brian