Sc430 - Lexus/toyota Rim Options (for Winter Tires)

flash_e_gt

Hello All,

I am looking to put some winter tires on the SC430 and would like to get your opinion on what choices I have when it comes to rims/tires. Given the car is only going to be driven on these rims/tires for a few months I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them. I was thinking of going 16" or 17" for the rims and was wondering what options I would have from Toyota/Lexus. Or if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to find winter rims (tirerack has a pretty small selection).

Lastly, can someone tell me the width and offset of the SC430 so that if I can't find a cheap winter rim I can at least go around and hunt for one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tire rack actually isn't really any help.

They only have 10 wheels and all of them are in the $300 range (which is rediculous for a wheel).

What would be really helpful is if anyone with an SC has tried to fit any of the other stock wheels on their vehicle. Specifically the 16" x 6.5 IS rims with 50mm offset. Or any other rim that would fit and would be fine for a winter tire.

go to www.tirerack.com and see what they have for winter packages specifically for your car.

That website even has a module that will allow you to see the rims on your car in your color.

check it out.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am looking to put some winter tires on the SC430 and would like to get your opinion on what choices I have when it comes to rims/tires. Given the car is only going to be driven on these rims/tires for a few months I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them. I was thinking of going 16" or 17" for the rims and was wondering what options I would have from Toyota/Lexus. Or if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to find winter rims (tirerack has a pretty small selection).

Lastly, can someone tell me the width and offset of the SC430 so that if I can't find a cheap winter rim I can at least go around and hunt for one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went this route 2 years ago. I have OEM chrome rims that I do not want to junk up. Additionally, a rear wheel drive vehicle, even with traction control, was beyond what I wanted to use without snows. I located rims on tirerack that would fit my vehicle (looked at specs of different lexus models and toyota models and matched that way) and then the tire I wanted was a Blizzak WS50 (exceptional and highly recommended on this site for a reason- It was like having cramp-ons on my wheels with the traction control and this tire). I ended up purchasing a set of 4 tires with rims o e-bay for less than 100 miles (If I recall they were 1993 or 1994 ES300 rims) ordered my tires through tire rack, and took all to my local alignment guy to switch out. Akk in all it cost me about $400 for rims and new tires and I couldn't be happier.

NOw, having said that, I have the gold package on my 1998 GS400 and the ES rims are silver logo, don't have the "pop" I like with the chrome, but that's the sacrifice I made.

It can be done with a bit of research. Also, I do recall calling a tire store to verify that the rims from the 1993 or 1994 ES300 would fit the 1998GS400 before I purchased. Good luck and I highly recommend the WS50s. They are fun.