Oil Change Recommendations For 2000 Rx300

lahermano

Hi All,

I have the following questions regarding Oil change for my RX300 2000 model.

1. Do i really go to the dealer service for oil change ?

2. Is normal oil change recommended or synthetic ?

3. how many quarts does the RX300 take ?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

1. no, but that would mean your rx would not have a service history on file with lexus. try and keep your receipts up to date and everything in the maintenance schedule done on time just in case you do have to claim for warranty (ie. trans. failure and engine sludge).

2. synthetic is nice, but might be overkill depending on your driving.

3. the oil capacity is listed in the back of the owner's manual.

My answers to your questions

1.) No you dont have to go to the dealer, but DO keep the receipts (as mentioned) and be diligent about it. If you have trouble they'll be the make or break of your case.

2.) IMHO Synthetic is the only way to go. Its recommended for the car by Lexus and its one sure way to avoid oil-sludging.

3.) I do my own oil changes and an oil/filter change generally uses 4.5 US quarts.

Synthetic is double the cost of regular oil but I can get a six pak of Mobil 5-30 at Costco for about $27. These RX 300s run pretty hot (as a normal temp for them) That type of heat will reduce the effectiveness of regular oil after a few thousand miles. Too long and you get sludge, at lest with the syn.oil I know the oil will hold up between changes.

2.) IMHO Synthetic is the only way to go. Its recommended for the car by Lexus and its one sure way to avoid oil-sludging.

is this true? my dealer uses conventional quaker state dino oil, not synthetic :(

I'm surprised by that since they've had such a serious sludging problem. Mydealer uses Mobil 1 and so does my independent shop. My RX has a notice near the oil fill hole i the valve cover that recommends it. Curious