Sporty Commuter: G35 Vs. 328i Vs. Is350

I'm looking at these 3 cars as potential commuting cars (about 37 miles per day) and for business-related road trips. Did anyone else look at these, and why did you---presumably---choose the IS?

My thoughts are:

The IS ranks first in terms of quality / reliability, and engine. However, it is also the most cramped. It is in the middle on gas mileage. It is the most user-friendly car in terms of ergonomics. In my area, the luxury package, navigation, and parking assist are essentially standard; any other options must be factory ordered.

The G35 is biggest, least expensive, and has the most features in terms of electronics. Most owners are reporting poor gas mileage. It is considered less luxurious than the other brands, although it is a big step up from the previous model. It is also usually considered more sporty than the IS, and on par with the BMW.

The 328i is the least powerful by far, but records good gas mileage. The driving experience is supposedly the best of the group, although some people complain about the run flat tires. When equipped with the features found on the other two cars, it is the most expensive. It is bigger than the IS, and the back seat folds. iDrive can work well for an experienced user, but is a big turn-off for visitors to the car.

I'm looking at these 3 cars as potential commuting cars (about 37 miles per day) and for business-related road trips. Did anyone else look at these, and why did you---presumably---choose the IS?

My thoughts are:

The IS ranks first in terms of quality / reliability, and engine. However, it is also the most cramped. It is in the middle on gas mileage. It is the most user-friendly car in terms of ergonomics. In my area, the luxury package, navigation, and parking assist are essentially standard; any other options must be factory ordered.

The G35 is biggest, least expensive, and has the most features in terms of electronics. Most owners are reporting poor gas mileage. It is considered less luxurious than the other brands, although it is a big step up from the previous model. It is also usually considered more sporty than the IS, and on par with the BMW.

The 328i is the least powerful by far, but records good gas mileage. The driving experience is supposedly the best of the group, although some people complain about the run flat tires. When equipped with the features found on the other two cars, it is the most expensive. It is bigger than the IS, and the back seat folds. iDrive can work well for an experienced user, but is a big turn-off for visitors to the car.

I looked at those 3 and settled on the IS.

I generally agree with your assesments with the following changes/additions. It's a bit all over the place, but here we go:

The IS looks the best looking of the 3. The IS luxury package comes with monster 18" wheels, 16" standard on the BMW-pathetic. The G looks like a VCR inside. The BMW has a optional "Terra" leather which is the nicest color I've seen.

BMW- no spare because of the runflats. just doesn't make me comfortable.

The G feels like a power monster, but I felt disconnected. The BMW had some intagibles that just made me feel good behind the wheel (could it have been the badge?). The power is adequate in the BMW but just doesn't have the huge push if you want it. I skidded once in the BMW during the test drive, which left me feeling a bit uneasy. The IS is a blast to drive and is incredible in the rain. The IS's VDIM is AMAZING. The auto-trans in the IS found the gears I wanted much better than the rest especially in "sports mode", but the sequential shifting comparison goes to the BMW.

No backup camera in the BMW. not good. Parking assist only in the rear of the BMW. not good. don't they pull head first into garages in Germany?

Tiny, TINY side mirrors in the BMW. not good. iDrive can not compare to the ease of the touchscreen in the IS. The G's nav is nice, but again very VCR looking.

For every day driving, the BMW is the best. the adjustable lumbar and the wide seats and the incredible highway driving suspension wins hand down.

For spirited driving the IS is the best.

Resale, IS is a Kelly Blue Book top 10. BMW 3 series did not make the list.

I looked at the same cars and of course decided on the IS. For me there were several reasons. I believe Lexus will offer the best quality and after purchase service. All the quality surveys would suggest this to be the case. I much preferred the styling both inside and out of the IS over the others. I found the interior of the 3 series in particular to be very underwhelming. I didn't like the plastics and the overall shape of the dash in the BMW. In terms of the power and price, yes the Infiniti wins for the price, Lexus and the Infiniti are similar for power. The 328 is way down on power in comparison to both of the others. I just found that after driving them all it was the Lexus that I lusted after, even with the higher price than the Infiniti.

I'm looking at these 3 cars as potential commuting cars (about 37 miles per day) and for business-related road trips.

I have a 2006 IS 350(bought in July with Sport/Nav/ML/Spoiler) that I drive to work(35 miles each way, 70 miles total a day). Let's just say I LOVE getting in that car and going to work. It's smooth, comfy, and I love the power. I'm an offensive driver and the car flat out moves. No more cars cutting in front of me at the last moment like when I had the car before this one( '97 Saturn with 124hp). I know you won't be disappointed with the IS350.

I have two kids (9 and 10 yrs old) that fit fine in the back. I've had 3 co-workers in the car when going to lunch. One guy in back(behind passenger) was 6'4" and said he was fine. The front passenger was a girl that was about 5'7", the girl behind me was 5'4". They all said it was not cramped, but wouldn't want to take a long trip with it(unless you had regular stops). The 6'4" guy couldn't sit behind me, as I'm 6'1" and have the set pushed back(not all the way back though).

Anyway, long story short. I love driving my IS350 over 70 miles each day.