Auto Wipers Possessed?

PTO

My auto wipers seem to have a mind of their own. At times when the rain or snow is heavy, the time between wipes is pretty long. Other times when there is just a little moisture, they wipe like crazy. I have heard some complaints regarding the auto wipers and am wondering if what I am seeing is typical.

the grid behind the rearview mirror handles the wiper speed and it works on the angles of light refected on it.

sunlight at a certain angle after rain can activate the wipers, as can mist or fog. in my experience they are good but not perfect. some people may not be aware that there is a sensitivity control located on the middle of the wiper stalk that can adjust some of this, in some situations i just put it on manual.

I have been completely puzzled by the behaviour of the auto wipers. Just as you describe, the speed they wipe often does not match the conditions.

More often than not, I have to manually clear the window with a single wipe since the auto wipers are going far too slow for the conditions. I find them infuriating and would much rather have an intermittent wiper with a control that actually produces the expected results. I find the "sensitivity" control on the wiper stalk to be virtually useless.