Seafoam

95_SC400

Hey Guys, just wanted to let you all know that i finally got around to seafoaming my car today and i am VERY happy i did so. My idle dropped, my car shifts gears A LOT smoother, and overall the car is running qiueter and easier. Highly recomend doing it, especially on older SC's,its worth every penny. At the same time i also cleaned MAF sensor with CRC maf cleaner. Definately something every SC owner should do at least once.

Was your car running bad or anything before you did it? Im asking cause I just bought a 95 sc300 with 157K miles on it and it is running great, as far as I can tell... I dont really know if it coud be better cause Ive only owned it for 5 days and Ive never had another one. It does take longer to crank up when its cold, and it feels like its shifting hard at slight throttle but other than that its perfect. It doesnt feel that fast either. Do you think it could hurt if I used it? I have never owned a car with this many miles and Ive never used seafoam???

Was your car running bad or anything before you did it? Im asking cause I just bought a 95 sc300 with 157K miles on it and it is running great, as far as I can tell... I dont really know if it coud be better cause Ive only owned it for 5 days and Ive never had another one. It does take longer to crank up when its cold, and it feels like its shifting hard at slight throttle but other than that its perfect. It doesnt feel that fast either. Do you think it could hurt if I used it? I have never owned a car with this many miles and Ive never used seafoam???

I think you should definately try it, it wont hurt at all. I decided to do it because after all my car is 11 years old. Im sure there was a bunch of build up over the years. I myself had aggressive shifting, ok idle , but i wanted less, and overall i just wanted to bring my car back to life and increase fuel economy. So after doing the Seafoam and cleaning my MAF sensor, right away I felt that the car was revving and driving A LOT easier, quieter, and smoother. I could tell that the car was alive again, i dont know how much horse power i gained but a couple definatly. As for your car starting up to slow, you might want to consider changing your sparks and wires. But try the seafoam and CRC MAF cleaner first. Let me know how it goes. Check out my video of the process (sorry for horrible quality) http://youtube.com/watch?v=mJs9UH4mHIQ

If you need help finding or using the Seafoam just let me know ill post some pics of where to pour and how much. Good Luck.

... i finally got around to seafoaming my car today...

95_SC400, tell me more about this "seafoam". This is the first I've heard of it. I tried Googling it, but found multiple products under the brand name Seafoam. Which product did you use? What does it do? Where is it added/used?

95_SC400, tell me more about this "seafoam". This is the first I've heard of it. I tried Googling it, but found multiple products under the brand name Seafoam. Which product did you use? What does it do? Where is it added/used?

The product i used was called "Seafoam motor tune up". Seafoam has a line of many other products that also work for transmissions as well. This is the general site i found it from http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm the product i used myself is here: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

That site explains where to pour , how much, and what each place contributes to the clean up. Im not home right now but as soon as i get home ill post a video that shows exactly how to use it. I explain it more thoroughly as soon as i get home.

The product i used was called "Seafoam motor tune up". Seafoam has a line of many other products that also work for transmissions as well. This is the general site i found it from http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm the product i used myself is here: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

That site explains where to pour , how much, and what each place contributes to the clean up. Im not home right now but as soon as i get home ill post a video that shows exactly how to use it. I explain it more thoroughly as soon as i get home.

Here you go, check out this video, i think its pretty indepth. If you decide to buy it, i got mine online here:

https://www.iboats.com/mall/?cart_id=232143...United%20States

There are a few stores that sell it but really few and it cost more at the store last time i checked. Let me know if you still need more info or help. Good Luck with your new SC.

I did this with some Gumout Carb Cleaner and it seemed to help at first, but after a week, it was back to the original state. Maybe I should try this. It seems like it's a bit different as it goes in w/out spraying it in. You actually have to pour it in. I assume you put yours in through the pcv valve, right? My car right now tends to shift hard into 3rd gear and gets worse milage than I did a few months ago (immediately after my tuneup). It also idles rough with the A/C off, It feels more like a 4 cylinder camry. Idles good with a/c on, though. I may try to find some of this locally. I think you can get it from your local marina as I have heard people using this in their outboard engines to decarbon them. I think this is what it was developed for. Probably why it works so good (outboards can really build up some carbon deposits). Anyways, mainly wanted to know where to put it in. Should it only be installed through the pcv valve or through multiple vacuum lines like the one near the throttle position sensor (tps) as well?

I did this with some Gumout Carb Cleaner and it seemed to help at first, but after a week, it was back to the original state. Maybe I should try this. It seems like it's a bit different as it goes in w/out spraying it in. You actually have to pour it in. I assume you put yours in through the pcv valve, right? My car right now tends to shift hard into 3rd gear and gets worse milage than I did a few months ago (immediately after my tuneup). It also idles rough with the A/C off, It feels more like a 4 cylinder camry. Idles good with a/c on, though. I may try to find some of this locally. I think you can get it from your local marina as I have heard people using this in their outboard engines to decarbon them. I think this is what it was developed for. Probably why it works so good (outboards can really build up some carbon deposits). Anyways, mainly wanted to know where to put it in. Should it only be installed through the pcv valve or through multiple vacuum lines like the one near the throttle position sensor (tps) as well?

You're right, it mainly gets rid of carbon build up. I think it might fix your rough shifting because thats what i had through out all my gears. No gaurante, but its worth a try. I poured an entire can into gas tank, then 1/2 into crankcase (engine oil) and other half into vacuum lines by the tps. All you have to do is get some tubing (medical oxygen tubing or for aqauriums) and connect it to one of those branches, and stick the tube into the can and let it suck up the Seafoam, keep a high idle while doing this. These are the 3 main areas as were recomended on can and on website. If you didnt already, then check out the websites i posted earlier, they tell you all the details of what it does and all the how to's. Also watch that video, really explains the whole product and usage. Good Luck.

Alright. I tried it and it seems to have helped the responsiveness of the car (it smoked a lot when I did this. It probably smoked for 10 or 15 minutes). It didn't really help the shifting, though. Oh well, probably just take it to the tranny shop again and see about having a rebuild done on it.

Alright. I tried it and it seems to have helped the responsiveness of the car (it smoked a lot when I did this. It probably smoked for 10 or 15 minutes). It didn't really help the shifting, though. Oh well, probably just take it to the tranny shop again and see about having a rebuild done on it.

Sorry it didnt help with shifting, you must have something else wrong. You should notice a little better fuel economy though. Im not a mechanic or anything, but ive heard that some of these older cars eventually have problems with the shift solenoids. I dont know anything about them, but it might be worth a try to mention it to your mechanic. Good Luck with your car.

The main seals are the valve seals and other gaskets as they get old they can be more ideal candidates for crumbling using seafoam as it makes them slightly more brittle.

I still use the stuff on everything even my lawnmower and snow blower.

One quick note is that it needs the engine to be slightly warm as it has a low boiling point where it just evaporates. If the engine is too cold it pools ,too hot and it just evaporates before doing anything so it is hard to get a nice balance.

Yeah. Probably something in the valve body, but I'm thinking about having it totally rebuilt. Hopefully after christmas sometime. I think that it's probably some o rings that when heat up do no seal correctly inside the transmission causing the harsh shifting in 3rd. Other gears OK.

Yeah. Probably something in the valve body, but I'm thinking about having it totally rebuilt. Hopefully after christmas sometime. I think that it's probably some o rings that when heat up do no seal correctly inside the transmission causing the harsh shifting in 3rd. Other gears OK.

Good luck getting that fixed, hopefully wont cost too much.

SK, Thanks for that info, i'll keep it in mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I did seafoam my car today , and right after I got done i saw that my CHECK ENGINE light is on . I disconnect and reconnected the battery to clear the code.

So far I have seen improvement in response.

I did seafoam my car today , and right after I got done i saw that my CHECK ENGINE light is on . I disconnect and reconnected the battery to clear the code.

Are you guys injecting the seafoam thru the brake booster line?.. I am sure many readers want to know how this proceedure is done...I need to seafoam again myself, my first seafoaming experience I went cheap on the seafoam because I was afraid I would foul my spark plugs...... Has anyone seafoamed the oil, tranny fluid, and or fuel?

PS..The video clearly illustrates the polution that is created when seafoaming. Curious, how did your neighbors like the smoke screens?

I seafoam at 3am so i have no problems with neighbours.

I use it in the gas ,intake and oil it is not for the tranny as it would rip apart the clutches and seals. New Toyota fluid is great at cleaning dirt when it is changed. That is why i use an inline filter to catch debris that the oem filter can't. I am waiting for an order of 10 so i can replace my inline one that is now full and add one to my power steering line as well once i flush it soon also.

I like to use a line infront of the throttle body to ingest the fluid to clean all of the intake not just some of it .

I did a firends IS300 and when it waw taken apart by a Japanese senoir Lexus tech he had never seen such a clean engine in his life.

Are you guys injecting the seafoam thru the brake booster line?.. I am sure many readers want to know how this proceedure is done...I need to seafoam again myself, my first seafoaming experience I went cheap on the seafoam because I was afraid I would foul my spark plugs...... Has anyone seafoamed the oil, tranny fluid, and or fuel?

PS..The video clearly illustrates the polution that is created when seafoaming. Curious, how did your neighbors like the smoke screens?

The only places i seafoamed were the intake manifold through the unused vacuum branches by using clear aquarium oxygen hosing and a cup. What i did was put about 1/2 a can of seafoam into the cup and put the hose in the cup and let the car suck it up. I maintained a high idle by holding down on the TPS. Next i poured a full can of seafoam into gas tank. And lastly 1/2 can into oil (crankcase). Shut off the car and waited roughly 5 mins and turned car back on and enjoyed the cloud of dense smoke. I did my seafoaming in front of my house in the daylight. All my neighbors came outside to see what was going on, but no complaints. Only thing i did that was VERY stupid was i poured a full can of seafoam into the gas tank when i had almost no gas left. Problem with that is that its supposed to be proportioned at 1 can to 25 gallons of gas. As soon as i started to actually drive my car felt like it was about to die. my rpm's were jumping up and down like crazy, I stalled out a couple times, my check engine light and trac off light were glowing and i couldnt go faster then 10 mph. I was scared to death that i might have killed something. So i put my car in neutral and rolled down the hill to fill up asap. Everything went back to normal and sounded great. I definatly felt results but about a 2 weeks later it seems to have went back to normal. A bit more responsive but the gear changes went back to being a bit rough. I am still very curious as to what i could have potentially done by basically running my engine on seafoam. So keep that in mind for who ever is going to seafoam their car, fill up first.

My next plan is to try this stuff called auto-rx. I've been told it gives great results, but takes some time to do.

Here are pics of before and after pics of what the product claims to do: http://www.auto-rx.com/rms13/index-2.htm

Here is how it works and all about the product: http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/applications.htm

Let me know if any one has tried this or even if you have any opinions. I just had an oil change with synthetic so i have ways to go before i try this.

Once sea foam is added to the oil it needs to have an oil change very shortly after or the dirt will become sludge once heated up again.

Running pure seafoam is not a good thing as it is high concentrate that does not like rubber but also the heat would cause it to evaporate faster than it can be burnt for power causing bogging.

WOW, we got a couple of seafoaming experts on this forum... The only thing about seafoaming that I hate is the nuclear mushroom cloud that is produced when seafoaming...My neighbors might just call the fire department on me this second time around... :P

I read seafoaming the fuel by pouring the full bottle contents into the gas tank is useless...The reason being is the seafoam gets so diluted in with the gas the ratio is like 100-1 fuel to seafoam which is not strong enough to clean jack....Curious, Any noticeable results after pouring the bottle of seafoam in with a full tank of gas? I guess it couldn't hurt....

Now I have also read some people using seafoam in with the tranny fluid....SK, I will take your word for it and not seafoam the tranny in the future...

PS...SK, my full condolances go out to you and your family in regards to your dad's passing.....It's always tough to see a loved one go... I feel for you...

Ok SK, i have a question then. Since i didnt change my oil, as i didnt know i had to after seafoaming. What are my choices? After all i did have a synthetic oil change done less then 500 miles ago. So the oil is brand new. Is my only choice to have another oil change? And since its been about a month, im sure that i have sludge build up as well. So i wanted to know, 1) what can i do to get rid of the sludge? 2) would putting a full can of seafoam into oil again then changing oil be a good idea?

I wanted to try that auto-rx stuff, but read that the car must have regular oil to begin with. As i've been told, its really bad to go from synthetic back to regular. So does that mean i cant use it at all? Thanks for all the help.

Thanks jibby.

95 i would use half a can and then change the oil after about 20 minutes of running it . The old oil in the engine is dirty now and needs to be changed . Just finish the job properly by treating it again.

I don;t know anything about RX products but i personally don;t like a wonder chemical as such . To me seafoam is just a carbon cleaner not a seal restorer or scratch fixer like many other products claim to be all in one bottle fixes.

Thanks jibby.

95 i would use half a can and then change the oil after about 20 minutes of running it . The old oil in the engine is dirty now and needs to be changed . Just finish the job properly by treating it again.

I don;t know anything about RX products but i personally don;t like a wonder chemical as such . To me seafoam is just a carbon cleaner not a seal restorer or scratch fixer like many other products claim to be all in one bottle fixes.

All right, gochya. Thanks for clearing that up. In that case is there any products anybody can recommend for internal engine clean up?