Excessive Exterior Problems With A New Es350

Larry ES

Hi all,

Coming back for more advice. If you recall, we purchased a brand new ES350 with 25 miles on it on 12/2 evening. I don't usually purchase vehicles evening/night simply because I can inspect it thoroughly. My mistake thinking it is a Lexus so it should be in "perfect" condition.

The next door, when I was inspecting the vehicle, I have noticed scratches at 8 different areas, a spot with different paint color (mine is golden almond and the spot looks like Amber), 3 areas with paint chip and nick that needed to fix and repaint. The trunk doesn't open.

Long story short, I brought the ES for my wife as a gift and so far she has driven 15 miles and it spends more time at the dealership than with us. A brand new Lexus requires 4 days of body works and the dealership's service department is not very customer oriented. We felt that we have made a mistake in getting a Lexus (family members keep insisting we get a LExus, not an Acura or Infiniti, because of the quality of Lexus and customer service). So far, we have none.

I took the first step by writing to the sales consultant who sold us the ES a week ago. We are not asking for or looking for anything in return (we paid the $43000 in cash) but we are just not satisfy at this point. What would you do? And it is not typical for a Lexus to require 4 days of body works right?

Guess I am just letting out my frustration. Thanks!

Unfortunately what you're realizing I'm afraid is that dealerships don't put nearly as much emphasis on detailing and washing properly as they should. This isn't a Lexus specific thing, its a "car dealership" thing. My guess is that damage was done to the car when they prepped it for sale. As for the trunk not opening, I believe there's a lockout for the trunk in the glove box, did you try there?

What you're experiencing isn't indicitive of Lexus as a whole, but unfortunately all the dealers are independently owned and the quality of the service varies from dealer to dealer. I have a great dealer, but I've used terrible ones in the past too.

Personally if it were my car I would want something for my trouble when this was over, an extended warranty or something. On top of that, I'd find another dealer.

Sorry what should be a fun time got spoiled for you...hope it works out.

Unfortunately what you're realizing I'm afraid is that dealerships don't put nearly as much emphasis on detailing and washing properly as they should. This isn't a Lexus specific thing, its a "car dealership" thing. My guess is that damage was done to the car when they prepped it for sale. As for the trunk not opening, I believe there's a lockout for the trunk in the glove box, did you try there?

What you're experiencing isn't indicitive of Lexus as a whole, but unfortunately all the dealers are independently owned and the quality of the service varies from dealer to dealer. I have a great dealer, but I've used terrible ones in the past too.

Personally if it were my car I would want something for my trouble when this was over, an extended warranty or something. On top of that, I'd find another dealer.

Sorry what should be a fun time got spoiled for you...hope it works out.

I didn't even know the trunk wasn't working until the service advisor try to open it himself. He checked the switch in the glove box and it was set properly. Now my wife is thinking about what else can go wrong, that's not a good feeling especially a new vehicle. I guess I am just going to wait until we get it back next Tuesday (I hope) and start looking for a new dealership for services. I have to call the sales consultant back, wasn't in when he called after my email. I will see what he has to say. I know they will try to work it out so I won't call Lexus directly.

Well, after a total of 2 weeks at the body shop, I finally went picked up the car. The sales manager already awared of the exterior issues I had and was there to inspect the car with me. Boy, let me tell you what a poor job this dealership did. Out of the 10 areas I pointed out, nothing was done to some of them and for areas they did, I can do a better job myself. How can they call it fixed when it was worst than before (repainted areas feel rough, the replaced chrome trim on one of the window was all scratch up, etc.). Also, the clear bra they put on has bubbles on the bumper and the 2 circles (sensors) on the bumper, they cut the clear bra free hand to fit those sensors and it looks ugly and unprofessional. The sales manager was speechless as I pointed out these things one by one.

Out of the blue he said that they will take the car back and get a new one for me. I am a little shock, I don't know what he has to do and I don't care. It is not a Lexus buy back and they can't sell it here as a new car again (even with less than 100 miles on it), surprised they are willing to take the lose... Anyway, it happened that a new identical one is on its way to CA port on 12/22 so he thinks it can be here as early as the last week of Dec but no later than the first week of Jan. Until the replacement is here, they are letting us use a brand new 07 RX350 with nav and only 11 miles on it. This is another shocking thing to me, a brand new car as a loaner and I will probably put 600 miles (2 weeks worth of commute) on it before returning it. Who really wants to buy a brand new car with over 600 miles unless there is a deep discount...

I will still talk to the GM there about their service department, it is obvious they are incompetent. I want to give them a chance to address the body shop quality issues before contacting Lexus. I will definitely look for a new dealership to service the car as Steve suggested from an earlier post.

I was afraid of that...

If the dealer messed it up the first time, they're bound to do it again. The fact that the SM was so shocked means what I also assumed, management rarely realizes theres a problem.

I hope the replacement works out. Specify for them that you want NO PREP and book an appointment with a professional detailer (with references) to do the prep for you. That'll keep you from having the same problem. If the folks at the dealer get their hands on the new one, they'll F it up too...