Shifter Knob

scottelble

I have a 98' LS400 but mine has a leather shifter knob. I have been looking on e-bay for a wooden one after pricing it at the local dealership.....I am wondering if the LS400 and 430 knobs are compatible as far as mounting? Also are the GS and LS knobs the same thread/bolt placements aswell? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! THANKS:)

I have a 98' LS400 but mine has a leather shifter knob. I have been looking on e-bay for a wooden one after pricing it at the local dealership.....I am wondering if the LS400 and 430 knobs are compatible as far as mounting? Also are the GS and LS knobs the same thread/bolt placements aswell? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! THANKS:)

Well i guess no one has tried this yet so the only way to find out is to try it......For anyone interested i'll let you know if it works(or not;)

from what ive seen on ebay they say they fit....

im looking for a knob for my car as well 98 gs...mine was stolen. let me know if it works.

STOLEN.......Just when you think you've heard it all! That's truely a shame i'm sorry to hear that:( I will let you know for sure if it works. I just can't justify paying 350.00 or more at the dealer. Wish me luck and hopefully i'll return with some good news for you! Happy Holidays:)

• 4 months later...

Yikes! Stolen indeed. I just bought a 1999 LS400 over the weekend. It came without a shifter knob as well. Bizarre story from the seller saying that they had left the passenger window wide open. The car was rife with deferred maintenance, which gave me a huge buyer advantage. Got a sweet deal.

Now, three days later all the problems have been fixed (including replacing the front hood lifters) leaving only the shifter knob. I see quite a few available on eBay, but I'm hesitant to bid, not wanting to end up with a mismatch.

As long as the shaft diameter is the same, I guess I'll be happy. How much smaller is the LS430 knob than the LS400??

Andrew

Yikes! Stolen indeed. I just bought a 1999 LS400 over the weekend. It came without a shifter knob as well. Bizarre story from the seller saying that they had left the passenger window wide open. The car was rife with deferred maintenance, which gave me a huge buyer advantage. Got a sweet deal.

Now, three days later all the problems have been fixed (including replacing the front hood lifters) leaving only the shifter knob. I see quite a few available on eBay, but I'm hesitant to bid, not wanting to end up with a mismatch.

As long as the shaft diameter is the same, I guess I'll be happy. How much smaller is the LS430 knob than the LS400??

Andrew

I am in the market for a 98-99 right now. I'm curious as to what the deferred maintenance items were and how much you paid for the car. I'm looking at a 98 with nav, nak, &97k that needs tires, brakes and the timing belt-water pump to be done.

Andrew

I am in the market for a 98-99 right now. I'm curious as to what the deferred maintenance items were and how much you paid for the car. I'm looking at a 98 with nav, nak, &97k that needs tires, brakes and the timing belt-water pump to be done.

you're lookin at $1500 in parts to get that '98 back in shape, assuming it needs plugs/wires/caps/rotors too. A mechanic would probably charge $700-$1000 in labor in addition.

How much are they asking? This what I got:

• 99 LS400 with 105k for $10g

Deferred maint:

• Tires were bald - $400 at Sams Club for new Michelin Pilots
  • Had car detailed at local car wash - $150 and they did a terrible job on the exterior. Interior looks and smells like a new car. I will buy my own buffer and buff out the previously existing rotary scratches this weekend.
  • Lifter/Shocks for front hood had snapped springs - $120 each (x2) at Lexus dealer
  • Rolled in to Jiffy Lube to change out all fluids and filters - $168. Both the engine air filter and the cabin air filter were filthy and covered with an odd assortment of plant matter and dead bugs.
  • Shifter knob had been stolen some time in the past. Found a salvage one on eBay that matches my interior wood trim for $89. Dealer wanted $400!!!
  • Lexus Tool Kit in trunk was missing. Found one on eBay for $39. Didn't even ask the dealer.
  • Center caps are missing logo centers on two wheels. Dealer has them for $25 each.

Remaining:

• Timing chain replacement - will quote this weekend
  • Front end wheel alignment - it pulls slightly to the right since installing the new tires. Old tires were wearing unevenly.

So all totaled I'm at about 11k with everything. Well worth it as the car looks great (now) and rides like a dream... :) :cheers:

Andrew

you had 4 michelin pilots installed for 400$?????? omg. Thats so cheap compared to my sams's club. They wanted 135 a tire... i think. I got cheaper bf goodrich touring tires. they are really really quiet but a bit soft.

I hope jiffy lube used toyota tranny fluid. I hear that the trannys are picky.

so for 11k you gotta great deal. Looks good man.