Roof Rack Removal

Well I did it. I have an RX400h and I love this car like a pet but I have never really liked the roof rack and they all come with it,at least I haven't seen one without one. Anywho, I took it off and the car looks really very nice and the lines are cleaner in my opinion. In case anyone might think do this I will try to explain the way I did it. First I put on gardeners gloves,the kind that are cloth with little black rubber dots all over them...it's not required,just what I had,but I felt that it made the job so much easier and with less risk of scratching the "Princess" or me. OK...there are four end pieces,two on each side front and back of the front to back main bars running along the roofline,on all corners....it's tricky but as you lift,and it's not easy,push the front one forward towards the front windshield and push hard. It may feel as though it'll break,but it didn't with me. It will give with a little force. yes, it made me nervous because I didn't have a manual and the dealership always wants to charge an arm and a leg for anything so I didn't dare have them do it.....well there is one vertical plastic yellow pin that resembles the doohickeys that you put into drywall to be able to secure a screw and that is what's holding the end pieces down. I took that one off for both front corner pieces and for the back ones just did the same except I pushed up and back towards the back of the car. Once all four of the ends are off the 8 bolts,2 on each corner, were now exposed and ready for a quick ratchet (sp?) loostening. Voila, all came off in one big section,the cross bars attached and all. For easy storage there is only one screw per corner keeping the cross bars in place and it all comes apart and can be stored like skies. I think the car looks fab without the rack....there are little channels that are left exposed but I covered them with automotive 3M tape and black eectrical tape over them but you can figure out a better way as I will but for now...it's beautiful folks! It's a great car with or without so only do this if you were like me...not happy with them on,never needing them and curious about how it would look without them...well, it looks great! Rey Bustos, happy with my Lexus in L.A.

there are little channels that are left exposed but I covered them with automotive 3M tape and black eectrical tape over them but you can figure out a better way as I will but for now...

Now THIS, I've gotta see!

there are little channels that are left exposed but I covered them with automotive 3M tape and black eectrical tape over them but you can figure out a better way as I will but for now...

Now THIS, I've gotta see!

Of course...I'll take some pictures soon. I really like the way it looks. Sorry about the lack of photos but I will do that soon. Rey Bustos

Pics?

On their way "Husker...".I found some plastic that matched the channels pretty well. I simply cut them to size and fit them into the openings and as I said,the roof line looks fabuloso! It's amazing how a little change makes such a big difference. My RX400h actually looks sportier and because it looked so tall the lack of roof rack brought it down only a few inches but visually it looks like a lot more. Pictures soon,I promise. Rey in L.A.

Well I did it. I have an RX400h and I love this car like a pet but I have never really liked the roof rack and they all come with it,at least I haven't seen one without one. Anywho, I took it off and the car looks really very nice and the lines are cleaner in my opinion. In case anyone might think do this I will try to explain the way I did it. First I put on gardeners gloves,the kind that are cloth with little black rubber dots all over them...it's not required,just what I had,but I felt that it made the job so much easier and with less risk of scratching the "Princess" or me. OK...there are four end pieces,two on each side front and back of the front to back main bars running along the roofline,on all corners....it's tricky but as you lift,and it's not easy,push the front one forward towards the front windshield and push hard. It may feel as though it'll break,but it didn't with me. It will give with a little force. yes, it made me nervous because I didn't have a manual and the dealership always wants to charge an arm and a leg for anything so I didn't dare have them do it.....well there is one vertical plastic yellow pin that resembles the doohickeys that you put into drywall to be able to secure a screw and that is what's holding the end pieces down. I took that one off for both front corner pieces and for the back ones just did the same except I pushed up and back towards the back of the car. Once all four of the ends are off the 8 bolts,2 on each corner, were now exposed and ready for a quick ratchet (sp?) loostening. Voila, all came off in one big section,the cross bars attached and all. For easy storage there is only one screw per corner keeping the cross bars in place and it all comes apart and can be stored like skies. I think the car looks fab without the rack....there are little channels that are left exposed but I covered them with automotive 3M tape and black eectrical tape over them but you can figure out a better way as I will but for now...it's beautiful folks! It's a great car with or without so only do this if you were like me...not happy with them on,never needing them and curious about how it would look without them...well, it looks great! Rey Bustos, happy with my Lexus in L.A.