Can You Replace A Power Antenna With A Stationary One?

danigirl

I see many posts on how to fix, replace existing, etc., but not that references if you can forget the power antenna, remove and replace with a stationary one. I understand this is normal for Toyota/Lexus to have failing antennas.

If you can replace, does anyone have any suggestions on one that will look good on the RX300 and not make it look dumb and out of place??? B)

I'm sure this could be done as theres an antenna lead that just plugs into the power antenna motor-base. You could simply plug this into a stationary antenna instead but you'd need to find one that fits int the existing antenna hole in the body. Honestly though most of the work in changing antennas is getting TO the antenna. Once youre there its fairly straighforward to replace.

Why not use the original antenna and just find a way for the motor to stop working? That way it fits perfectly and isn't that noticeable when you're driving down the road. ;)

that would be the best...So I would be able to pull the antenna up and down for when I wash the car???

Do you know how to turn the motor off??? :unsure:

Why not use the original antenna and just find a way for the motor to stop working? That way it fits perfectly and isn't that noticeable when you're driving down the road. ;)

that would be the best...So I would be able to pull the antenna up and down for when I wash the car???

Do you know how to turn the motor off??? :unsure:

Sure , you simply disconnect the power leads to the antenna. There may be another place to disconnect it ,possibly the fuse, but I know you can do it righ at the motor itself , its a quick-connect clip and if you un-clip it theres no motor power and the antenna will stay where it is.

As for manual retraction/extension, I think that will not work well or for very long due to the way the motor works. Inside the motor theres a worm gear that draws a toothed nylon cable. To extend and retract it manually you'll have to push/pull the toothed cable past or against the worm gear and thats not likely to work.

• 1 month later...

My 2000 RX300 had the same prob. Took lazy approach and took it to local Toyota and had them disconnect lead and leave antenna in up position. They charged $35. They did mention that it would be tough to manually raise and lower...so I just leave it up. Doesn't look too great but it works for now!

My 2000 RX300 had the same prob. Took lazy approach and took it to local Toyota and had them disconnect lead and leave antenna in up position. They charged $35. They did mention that it would be tough to manually raise and lower...so I just leave it up. Doesn't look too great but it works for now!

Thats a good idea, but remember, no drive-in carwashes for you :)