Burning Smell On A New Es350

Larry ES

Hi all, new member but have been visiting the site for the past few months, thanks for the great information and advices.

Anyway, just took delivery of a new ES350 past Saturday (with 25 miles on the odometer), it is a beautiful car. My question is that right after we drove it home and stepped out from the car, we noticed this burning smell (from the front and rear), those burning rubber or plastic kind of smell. I checked engine oil, break fuild, coolant, trans fuild and everything is good.

I took the car in today to have clear bra, tint, and lo jack installed and when I told the advisor about the burning smell, he said it is normal. I never have a new car that does that but this being the first lux car we have, I don't know what to take. So is it normal and nothing to be concern about?

Thanks,

Larry

Its the plastics around the engine offgassing in response to the heat generated by the car when its running. It'll go away as the car gets older.

Congrats on the purchase!

Great, I am feeling a lot better now. Thanks for the quick reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

The smell is caused by a coating the Japan factory uses to protect the vehicle from the sea during transport.

It is absolutely normal and should dissipate upon continued driving (week or so).

Hi all, new member but have been visiting the site for the past few months, thanks for the great information and advices.

Anyway, just took delivery of a new ES350 past Saturday (with 25 miles on the odometer), it is a beautiful car. My question is that right after we drove it home and stepped out from the car, we noticed this burning smell (from the front and rear), those burning rubber or plastic kind of smell. I checked engine oil, break fuild, coolant, trans fuild and everything is good.

I took the car in today to have clear bra, tint, and lo jack installed and when I told the advisor about the burning smell, he said it is normal. I never have a new car that does that but this being the first lux car we have, I don't know what to take. So is it normal and nothing to be concern about?

Thanks,

Larry