Are There Any 'retro' Things That You Would Like To See Again?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I hope everyone is OK.

There are a LOT of design features from the past that - so far - have yet to make a come back. Use your imagination and tell me what 'retro' things YOU would like to see again?!

Not exactly sure what I mean?! Well... vinyl roofs, for one. Or how about white wall tires? Or maybe a 'Continental Kit'? How does a two-tone paint job - from the factory sound? Or maybe 'real' wire wheels? Or velour upholstery? Or a C.B. radio and 8-Track tape player?! lol :P [Well... some are dead for a reason - I'll give you that!!] But there is no reason we shouldn't see 'fins' again - is there?! Or honest-to-goodness chrome bumpers? Or how about opera windows or lavaliere straps? Or cornering lamps? Or those turn-signal indicator lamps on the hood?! And speaking of hoods - why not a hood ornament? Or a T-Top roof?! OR a front bench seat OR a 50/50 split-bench seat? Or a column shift?

AND SO ON......

ME?!

I'd like to see white wall tires, two-tone paints, cornering lamps, hood ornaments, T-Tops and velour upholstery. [At least on the options list]

AND I KNOW this will make some of you gag - but I wouldn't mind seeing vinyl roofs again. [A vinyl roof is no sillier than some of the things we do NOW to our cars]

How about you?!

[You're certainly not bound by MY list]

Craig!! :)

Hi Guys!! :)

I hope everyone is OK.

There are a LOT of design features from the past that - so far - have yet to make a come back. Use your imagination and tell me what 'retro' things YOU would like to see again?!

Not exactly sure what I mean?! Well... vinyl roofs, for one. Or how about white wall tires? Or maybe a 'Continental Kit'? How does a two-tone paint job - from the factory sound? Or maybe 'real' wire wheels? Or velour upholstery? Or a C.B. radio and 8-Track tape player?! lol :P [Well... some are dead for a reason - I'll give you that!!] But there is no reason we shouldn't see 'fins' again - is there?! Or honest-to-goodness chrome bumpers? Or how about opera windows or lavaliere straps? Or cornering lamps? Or those turn-signal indicator lamps on the hood?! And speaking of hoods - why not a hood ornament? Or a T-Top roof?! OR a front bench seat OR a 50/50 split-bench seat? Or a column shift?

AND SO ON......

ME?!

I'd like to see white wall tires, two-tone paints, cornering lamps, hood ornaments, T-Tops and velour upholstery. [At least on the options list]

AND I KNOW this will make some of you gag - but I wouldn't mind seeing vinyl roofs again. [A vinyl roof is no sillier than some of the things we do NOW to our cars]

How about you?!

[You're certainly not bound by MY list]

Craig!! :)

How about "Wing Windows" ? I would like to see the hood ornament come back into play and the blinkers on the hood instead of built into the mirrors, More chrome is always welcome. Remember curb feelers ? And how about wheel well covers ? AAHHHHH!!! The good old days............ :cheers:

a front bench seat
YES!!!! I really like the bench because it makes the front of the car seem more spacious, and in a pinch, you can squeeze another passenger in. Front bench seats were optional on the Avalons. I wish Toyota would have brought that option to Lexus (yes, I know, in my dreams.). This is so cool....

12.jpg

14.jpg

I much prefer consoles to bench seats personally...

As for real chrome bumpers, you'll never see that again because of NHTSA regulations.

What would I like to see come back? I miss hood ornaments. In fact thats one thing thats always kinda made me want a Mercedes, the hood ornament.

Personally, I like the muscle car themselves, and how powerful they are. Too bad they don't make those and can't have those powerful engines unless you buy a Porsche or Ferrari, but those sometimes don't even compare. ;) And those heavy duty metal bumpers. :)

im kinda weird in the fact that i like to move away from the old stuff. i praise new technology and banish the old. however, white wall tires have always been a favorite, but they look out of place if you dont have a 70's hot rod.

what do you mean bring back the hood ornament...we technically still have those. jags, mercs, rolls. actually i think thats it.

im kinda weird in the fact that i like to move away from the old stuff. i praise new technology and banish the old. however, white wall tires have always been a favorite, but they look out of place if you dont have a 70's hot rod.

what do you mean bring back the hood ornament...we technically still have those. jags, mercs, rolls. actually i think thats it.

Well, The first automobile was built in france in 1884 and we are still driving them today !!! Still want to banish the old ??? :lol:

im kinda weird in the fact that i like to move away from the old stuff. i praise new technology and banish the old.

Praise new technology?!? Didn't we have a discussion about you being really backwards and not embracing new technologies sometime back?

Used to be a lot more commonplace. EVERYTHING used to have a hood ornament. I just love driving a car and looking down the hood at the hood ornament.

What would I like to see come back? I miss hood ornaments. In fact thats one thing thats always kinda made me want a Mercedes, the hood ornament.

I loved them too, but I stopped loving them when they were ripped off on some of my old Cadillacs! :chairshot:

I don't know whether you remember when bull nosing and dechroming was in fashion, but back in the 50's I took my fathers 1950 '88' Oldsmobile with the Rocket engine and did just that, and then repainted the car with a beautiful lacquer paint job. I also modified the engine with an Edelbrock dual carburetor manifold fitted with Cadillac carburetors, dual sandpack exhaust system w/ chrome echo cans. Would you believe that after all these modifications, the car accelerated from 0-60 in about 10 seconds. hehe

Praise new technology?!? Didn't we have a discussion about you being really backwards and not embracing new technologies sometime back?

lol! im full of contradictions!

i guess it depends really. for car stuff, i usually find myself liking new things. WHen something new comes out, and i like it, that would be my next car. like Navs, they arent that practical to some people, and even though i dont use mine everyday, i swore i would not buy another car without them.

my dads '82 500SEC Merc...everything still works in that...but ive been trying to get him to throw the junk away. He wont...but its very old and slow, and "icky". chrome wheels/bumpers/grill/trim on that thing

I miss $1.00 gas... :chairshot:

I would like to see those old bumble-bee headlight covers again on sedans. Those things were cool! I would also like to see more steering wheels that would drop down into your lap that you could steer with your wrist. However, since airbags would probably crack your ribs, and send you flying out the back window, I doubt they'll ever come back.

I miss $1.00 gas...:chairshot:

I would like to see those old bumble-bee headlight covers again on sedans. Those things were cool! I would also like to see more steering wheels that would drop down into your lap that you could steer with your wrist. However, since airbags would probably crack your ribs, and send you flying out the back window, I doubt they'll ever come back.

Hell, I remember when gas was 32.9 cents. WTF happened ??? :lol:

Hell, I remember when gas was 32.9 cents. WTF happened ??? :lol:

Warning: Smartass alert.... :ph34r:

We won the war....no, not that war, the other war, with the Germans....what was that one called again?

Warning: Smartass Alert.... :ph34r:

Hahahaha... B)

I KNOW! Regular keys. I really don't like all this smart key stuff. I like to crank with the key... not a button. Just my preference. Well i guess thats good becuase i can't afford any push button cars!

whats the point of cranking when you can push a button?

although i am curious, if the car broked down, how would you keep cranking it while gassing lightly? anybody have experience with a car that wont start with push button? do you get an error on the dash?

Oh wait. I remember something about old cars (since you guys are talking about cranking the car). Well I don't find this to be a really good thing, but if you are ever mad at someone, and they have an old car, just pump the gas (while the car's off) and flood the system with gas so it wouldn't start.lol. I don't think cars nowadays get flooded with gas in the system if you pump the pedal while the car's off.

I KNOW! Regular keys. I really don't like all this smart key stuff. I like to crank with the key... not a button. Just my preference. Well i guess thats good becuase i can't afford any push button cars!

You'd think that, until you spend a couple days in a car with a smart key. After that, going back to a car where you have to dig for keys to unlock and dig for keys to start the car is actually extremely annoying and unnatural.

Smart keys are awesome.

although i am curious, if the car broked down, how would you keep cranking it while gassing lightly? anybody have experience with a car that wont start with push button? do you get an error on the dash?

Well first of all with modern fuel injection gassing while starting does nothing.

The button operates just like a key though, hold it down to crank longer.