Strong Smell Of Gas At Startup

Micah

I'm recently noticing when I first start my car a strong smell of gas upon startup. Is this normal? The car has fresh wires and plugs from last summer along w/ timing belt and K&N filter. I cleaned the throttle body too. What could cause this? It almost smells like an outboard engine.

EDIT: Had a thought, could it be the ignition system? How can I test the coils to see if they are putting out right? I assume I can use a voltage meter.

Alright, I figured out how to check the coils, but I don't know what the readings mean. I checked resisance b/w pins 1 and 2 (the input plug) and then b/w pin 1 and output then pin 2 and output. Here's the results:

Coil 1(driver's side):

Pin 1 to Pin 2: ~0.5 ohms + or - .1 ohm

Pin 1 to output: 11910 ohms

Pin 2 to output: 11910 ohms (ohm meter read 11.91 KOhms)

Coil 2 (passenger's side):

Pin 1 to Pin 2: ~0.5 ohms + or - .1 ohm

Pin 1 to output: 11500 ohms

Pin 2 to output: 11500 ohms (ohm meter read 11.5 KOhms)

Are these readings within spec? I'm beginning to think that this may just be normal, but the car seems a bit weak when I turn off the a/c and idle forward in drive. Creeps forward very slowly at about 500 rpm.

usually if a coil is bad you have constant bad gas smell and your car has a very hard time even moving along with a very rough idle.

i will get back to you on those specs as my manual is not in reach right now.

resistance between the 2 connector pins should be .4-.5 ohms and the resistance between the + pin on the connector side and the plug wire side shoud be 10-14k ohms.

so you seem to be in spec!

maybe you have a leaky injector that leaks a bit while the car is off and you jsut burn a little extra on start up before the cat is heated up...

sounds good. I have new wires and plugs along with rotors and distributor caps and timing belt. I think i'm going to have the compression tested to see what's going on in the engine and see if there is excessive wear there.

sounds good. I have new wires and plugs along with rotors and distributor caps and timing belt. I think i'm going to have the compression tested to see what's going on in the engine and see if there is excessive wear there.

Maybe its your Catalytic converter. After some years Toyotas tend to have "lazy cats" where unless heated up they do not work properly. We run into this a lot in Cali since we have to go to smog tests. So basically you have to drive around a bit before getting a smog or else you fail. Lolz.

I was thinking O2 sensors maybe as well. Or even the Valves may need some adjusting? I plan on having all this checked after I get my boat finished this month. Would it be the cats if it only happens upon startup because I thought that they had to be hot to do their job right. The car's not hot when it starts first thing in the morning and therefore not burning off the excess gas. I'm just worried that a lot of my gas may be going out the tailpipe. I am going to put some lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank and see if that helps.

If your only smelling petrol on start up, check your injector seals top the manifold

when warmed up the injector and the fuel manifold expand and can seal up a leaking o ring that weeps when cold

eventually the leak will be there when the engine is hot as well as the leak gets worse

get the torch out and look along the inlet manifold when cold for wet bits