Ls400 Passenger Mirror

mcparks7

Hi all! New to this board and just bought a 1993 LS400! The only thing wrong with it was missing the glass part of the passenger side mirror. And my question is, where can I get a replacement other than the dealership? They quoted me $125.

Thanks in advance!!

I purchased the replacement glass for the passenger side mirror on my 93 LS about two years ago. As I recall, it cost about $75.00.

I ordered from www.newlexusparts.com. You can check out their website and try to locate it. It would probably be better for you to call them at (800) 275-5398, E. 7039. The mirror glass is different for cars with memory and without memory. You can give the parts people your VIN, and they can make certain you are getting the right part.

This is a Lexus dealership in Texas. They pay shipping charges.

I purchased the replacement glass for the passenger side mirror on my 93 LS about two years ago. As I recall, it cost about $75.00.

I ordered from www.newlexusparts.com. You can check out their website and try to locate it. It would probably be better for you to call them at (800) 275-5398, E. 7039. The mirror glass is different for cars with memory and without memory. You can give the parts people your VIN, and they can make certain you are getting the right part.

This is a Lexus dealership in Texas. They pay shipping charges.

Thanks. I guess it went up $50 in 2 years, that's the same dealership I called that quoted me $125.

Cheaper than my $400 replacement glass .

Wow, you're part of the management team group and you have 10,571 posts.......And I get that reply?

I have been reading a lot of posts on this board and thought they were quite helpful. How does that help? What was the point of replying at all?

Wow, you're part of the management team group and you have 10,571 posts.......And I get that reply?

I have been reading a lot of posts on this board and thought they were quite helpful. How does that help? What was the point of replying at all?

Yes, and through the selflessness and generosity of people like him, the rest of us have and will continue to benefit greatly.

Thank You SK (and your fellow admins')

You post to this board looking for help and then you slam SK, Why don't you go out and figure out this problem on your own ? :chairshot:

I think I've figured out why they quoted you the $125 instead of the discounted price. You float that kind of attitude towards people, and you'll get the horns. If you can't handle a $125 repair in general, then you've purchased the wrong car. You need a Chevy Cavalier that you can take to your local knock-off auto part store and buy any part you need.

The reason why you probably received the reply you got from SK is simply because your question had already been answered with the best possible answer in general. Unless you want to shop the junk yards. Trust me, trust US, if there were a better answer to your question than the one CUman posted, SK would know that answer, and would have posted it up for you. But now...well....you owe the man an appology, as that was just a stupid and arrogant reply to his post.

If you don't like our help....hit the dealership, they'll be more than happy to "hook" you up.

Edit: Just saw your appology..... Good man :cheers:

I think maybe the point was that you might have found a good deal on the mirror, other users have paid much more for other model years.

Have you tried the local "junk" yard. They aren't what they used to be. Many are very sophisticated used parts deals with computer links to dealers across the country. It's been several years since I've used them but they found me a mass airflow meter and had it the next day for $200 instead of the $800 the new one from the dealer would have cost. Mass airflow meter at 35K miles. I didn't just walk back to a Toyota, I RAN!

I think I've figured out why they quoted you the $125 instead of the discounted price. You float that kind of attitude towards people, and you'll get the horns. If you can't handle a $125 repair in general, then you've purchased the wrong car. You need a Chevy Cavalier that you can take to your local knock-off auto part store and buy any part you need.

The reason why you probably received the reply you got from SK is simply because your question had already been answered with the best possible answer in general. Unless you want to shop the junk yards. Trust me, trust US, if there were a better answer to your question than the one CUman posted, SK would know that answer, and would have posted it up for you. But now...well....you owe the man an appology, as that was just a stupid and arrogant reply to his post.

If you don't like our help....hit the dealership, they'll be more than happy to "hook" you up.

Much better ;) Now back to the problem @ hand- Do you want a new mirror ? Or a replacement ?

The price of $125.00 now being quoted may be a supply-demand situation. I doubt that any new mirror glass for cars as old as a 93 is now being produced. As the supply declines, the folks at Lexus parts may be raising the prices to benefit from the declining supply. I doubt that the big price increases are coming from the dealerships but from their supplier, Lexus-Toyota.

The comment about used parts is on target. The mirror glass is very easy to remove from the mirror assembly. Searching for a used mirror seems much more logical than buying a new one for that ridiculous price. As I mentioned above, make sure the car from which you are removing the mirror glass has the memory system. For some reason, the mirrors are not interchangeable between the memory and non-memory cars.

I agree with the comments about SK. We all owe him (and the other administrators) a debt of gratitude for the time they put into the forum.

mcparks7..I, for one. accept your apology, and look forward to your participation on this forum. Hopefully we will resolve your mirror problem. We are all team players here and some more than others. You will not find a better group of owners than you have. Look forward to helping you and you helping us.

mcparks7..I, for one. accept your apology, and look forward to your participation on this forum. Hopefully we will resolve your mirror problem.

Contact : www.taprecycling.com They should be have the mirror for you.

I think maybe the point was that you might have found a good deal on the mirror, other users have paid much more for other model years.

Have you tried the local "junk" yard. They aren't what they used to be. Many are very sophisticated used parts deals with computer links to dealers across the country. It's been several years since I've used them but they found me a mass airflow meter and had it the next day for $200 instead of the $800 the new one from the dealer would have cost. Mass airflow meter at 35K miles. I didn't just walk back to a Toyota, I RAN!

No, but I will. Thanks!

Thanks. I guess it went up $50 in 2 years, that's the same dealership I called that quoted me $125.
I've noticed that they have been raising the prices on parts too. A couple years ago struts were only $50, no you are lucky if you can find them for less than $70. Same thing with the EGR pipe, I looked at it a while back, and it was $60, and when I went to order one the other day, it was more like $90 (I just bent the one that I had instead of paying that price.).

Much better ;) Now back to the problem @ hand- Do you want a new mirror ? Or a replacement ?

Thanks. Either/or, I am just looking for a little better price.

The price of $125.00 now being quoted may be a supply-demand situation. I doubt that any new mirror glass for cars as old as a 93 is now being produced. As the supply declines, the folks at Lexus parts may be raising the prices to benefit from the declining supply. I doubt that the big price increases are coming from the dealerships but from their supplier, Lexus-Toyota.

The comment about used parts is on target. The mirror glass is very easy to remove from the mirror assembly. Searching for a used mirror seems much more logical than buying a new one for that ridiculous price. As I mentioned above, make sure the car from which you are removing the mirror glass has the memory system. For some reason, the mirrors are not interchangeable between the memory and non-memory cars.

I agree with the comments about SK. We all owe him (and the other administrators) a debt of gratitude for the time they put into the forum.

Good point CUman. Looks like I will end up purchasing that one from the dealership, I am having no luck elsewhere. I guess I was a little shocked about the price at first, but everyone on this board is putting it all into perspective for me now. Thanks again to everyone on this board!!

I just thought of another reason parts prices have gone up a lot in the last 2-3 years. The american dollar is in the dumper. It used to cost me 90 cents for a Euro, now it's something in the $1.20's, I think we dropped vs. the Yen a similar amount. That alone is almost enough to explain the difference.

Good luck on the hunt. Mirror glass is a great candidate for can't go wrong at the used-parts dealer.

Too make my previous post longer or more explanitory..............

For my 98 LS the replacement glass alone not including the housing costs $400 as it is an LCD for dimming and heated. With the housing it is over $700 for a replacement complete.

Now if i was offered a peice of glass for 100 and change i would be more than happy. My post was to put it into perspective since yours is by far cheaper than mine. Sorry you could not read between the lines.

If you are looking to hit gold in every single response then an interent forum is not really the place for that. It is a reference tool used to gather information and filter what works for your situation best. Expecting more than that is just looking to be let down.

BTW thanks for the support and no one owes me anything . I do this for free for the community to learn from what I have gained. So just like when i started and knew nothing as there were no "interent" forums to find answer ,now there is more than you want to read between the 3 main sites to answer all you basic questions.

Too make my previous post longer or more explanitory..............

For my 98 LS the replacement glass alone not including the housing costs $400 as it is an LCD for dimming and heated. With the housing it is over $700 for a replacement complete.

Now if i was offered a peice of glass for 100 and change i would be more than happy. My post was to put it into perspective since yours is by far cheaper than mine. Sorry you could not read between the lines.

If you are looking to hit gold in every single response then an interent forum is not really the place for that. It is a reference tool used to gather information and filter what works for your situation best. Expecting more than that is just looking to be let down.

BTW thanks for the support and no one owes me anything . I do this for free for the community to learn from what I have gained. So just like when i started and knew nothing as there were no "interent" forums to find answer ,now there is more than you want to read between the 3 main sites to answer all you basic questions.

Thanks again SK!

I am new to these forums and now I have a better understanding of all of this, and will take all of that into consideration in the future.