Chrome Wheels

its about time!

also, one of my BMW's has chrome wheels and for some reason i find the brake dust is more "clinged" to the wheel compared to alloy. i only use some soap and water, nothing special, and in the end i can get that wheel clean and shiny.

is this a trait of chrome?

• 2 weeks later...

If you'd read my posts you'd see that I've often talked about the fact that chrome wheels are far more popular in CA than in the rest of the country. They're popular in Florida and Texas too, but not as much as CA. Do a search for chrome wheel companies, 95% of the companies you come up with will be out of CA. CA, FL, and TX however are only 3 states out of 50. Try and find a luxury car in IL, or NC, or PA, or OH, or CO with chrome wheels. So, my opinions holds steady that on the whole chrome wheels are out of fashion right now.

The reason that chrome companies are in those states is probably because many other states do not allow chroming facilities. The produce highly toxic waste and are banned in a few states...namely CT for instance. California, for some reason, has a number of chroming companies. I don't think it is going out of style, just harder to get. Also, the OEM wheels are not chromed because the dealers don't want to deal with easily damaged and then hard to repair chrome finishes. JMO. :)

We now have the Lexus chrome 18 inch wheel available.We put a set on a black LS460L on Thursday.It looked awesome.You are correct in the chrome wheels being hard to get because of chemical regulations on what they use in the plating process.I was also told by Lexus not to do aftermarket wheels on the LS460(L) becase of fitment problems.The aftermarket will catch on and copy the factory wheel specs or get it "close enough" to work.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased chrome 22" inch wheels for my new 2007 LS 460. the lip in back is about 4" and they have 14 spokes. they are staggared 9.5 in back and 9 in front and look amazing! the manufacturer custom makes this wheel for this car. the pressure sensors work perfectly. send me your email and i will send you a pic of my car. it is a beautiful site.

• 1 month later...
I just purchased chrome 22" inch wheels for my new 2007 LS 460. the lip in back is about 4" and they have 14 spokes. they are staggared 9.5 in back and 9 in front and look amazing! the manufacturer custom makes this wheel for this car. the pressure sensors work perfectly. send me your email and i will send you a pic of my car. it is a beautiful site.

Can you send me some pics? jyu0302@gmail.com. I am awaiting delivery for my 2008 LS460 in about 3 weeks. I am shopping for new wheels. can someone tell me how big i can go without messing up the car or modification? also any wheel sellers you recommend?

• 1 month later...

Chromes on my 460 midnight sapphire are awesome. I am posting picks tomorrow on another 460 thread. Really sets the car off, imho. Not sure about lighter colors such as silver, gold or white. Forget the new Opaline as it looks Mary K. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

As LS460 owners we are somewhat limited on available styles that will fit our cars due to the vehicles unusual bolt pattern. Sure there are still quite a few choices however, many can quickly be eliminated as most don't want this great vehicle looking rediculous as many of them would quickly ruin its great look. The factory wheels chrome plated would be a good choice for many wanting to stick with their factory 18 inch tires and can be had for as little as $600 and you get to keep your factory wheels. The prices online are all over the place with some wating $1000 and your current wheels used as an exchange. I had a set on my 07 and recently bought a set for my 08 which I use during the winter months. I also have a set of chrome plates wheels from the Touring Package Model (5 Spoke 19s) and bought another set of 4 sensors along with Michelin Pilots 245/45/19.

I remember (way back when) when chrome wheels first started appearing on cars in the late 80's - early 90's and I about puked. I can't believe they are still around - though I live on the West Coast. I think people like it because of the BLING factor. Please, make them go away :D

Really depends on the color of the vehicle for me. I think they are nice on darker colors and not too overstated. The LS has always had a reputation of understatement as far as wheels go. So this time I went somewhere in the middle.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

There are some good "chrome exchange" companies out there. You send them a check and they send you identical wheels to your own, in chrome. You then send them your wheels in their boxes. I've done it for about $800.00. You can also have a local "chomer" do your wheels in the area where you live. Stop sweating about what Lexus will/won't do, and do it yourself.