Pennzoil Fluids

coolwater

I went to Walmart last night and purchased Pennzoil Transmission Fluid (Dexron III Mercon) and also Pennzoil Brake Fluid (Dot 3) for my 2000 ES. I was going to go to a local Toyota Dealer to buy those fluids but Walmart was there and I just went in.

I know Pennzoil makes quality oil, but other fluids are good too? Also, Dexron III Mercon is right fluid for my 2000 ES? I am also curious if ALL Lexus sedans use same Transmission Fluid regardless of model and year.

From my experience with my previous '01 ES, I went to the dealer to get the transmission fluid drained-and-refilled since the fluid calls for a Toyota brand only. For the brake fluid, I went to a local auto service shop (Allied Tire) and got the brake fluid flushed out and replaced since it has to be DOT 3 compliant. Definitely saved myself $$$ having it done there than at the dealership but I know they can't provide the Toyota tranny fluid for the tranny service.

But, you are not saying that only Toyota brand tranny fluid is allowed, right? Hmmm... is that why the manual does not even mention which tranny fluid should be used? How much does a Toyota dealer charge for a quart of tranny fluid?

lexusk8, I always wanted to ask you which insurance company did you have when you totaled your '01 ES? Do you still have the same insurance company for your current G35? B)

I've got a 2000 es, and my manual said it requires type IV. I would switch to a synthetic myself, but I don't want to risk having any problems from putting in the wrong type of fluid.

Before you buy any ATF, call around to the dealerships to see how much it is. Around VA and MD, they charge anywhere between $4-6 depending on where you go.

I have some post that don't reccomend pennzoil dino for oil.

The ES300's that call for type IV fluid, either use the Toyota stuff.....or Amsoil synthetic ATF, it is compatible with type IV......I never had any trouble when I put it in my 2001 (but it's not cheap either). ;)

Dexron III is pretty much universal & many choices out there.

:cheers:

I'm still not clear.... so, Dexron III Mercon is not to be used for my 2000 ES? I know it's different from ATF, but is it different from 'Type IV'? Well... I guess I will just return it and buy from Toyota dealer.... :unsure:

Dex 3 and Toyota IV are 2 completely diff specifications. Amsoil ATF is an odd but special thing. It can be used in both apps just fine.