Killed The Trans..

TTimlin

OK.. so i killed the trans.. what should i do? Rebuild it or put in a reman. I have only gotten one quote so far and that was for pulling the trans and rebuilding and putting in a new torque converter in it for $2200. Decent price? Another option would be to sell the car for parts. What could I get out of it that way? If it makes more sense to part it I would love to because I wanted to sell the car after fixing the trans anyway.

No. For $2200 you could have IPT build a custom rebuild a transmission, torque converter, valve body & limited slip diferential that would hold 700 horsepower.

Don't replace the torque converter, nothing's wrong with it.

What makes you think it's shot?

Buy a used transmission for a couple hundred bucks & spend $50 installing an auxillary cooler.

www.kbb.com

It doesnt go into any gear except for reverse and it shutters horribly in that gear. Although.. who builds custom transmissions for $2200? With engine pull and all. If theres one thing about the car i would want to improve it would be the trans.

How's the fluid?

I'd just get a transmission out of an ES/Camry & have someone drop yours & reinstall it. Or if you can pluck the engine & transmission with a hoist do that.

Rebuilt transmissions, or new transmissions from a dealer can get veeeeerrry expencive! But if you need to do any swap, pawn up the $50 or so & install an extra cooler. Always. :) best thing you can ever do short of changing the fluid often.

I just looked at those IPT transmissions.. very interested. Anyone on here have one? Id like to hear about some expieriences people have had with them. Shift too hard for everyday driving? Noticible increase in power? Noticibly shorter shift time?

I just replaced the fluid, its at the proper level with the proper fluid. It was acting up so I changed the fluid then it went down hill quickly. I used Castrol ATF+4 fluid (Dexron-III) and a new filter.

The valve body controlls the shift time. There is no increase in power. A torque convertor can increase the starting power at launch, or gear shift by letting the engine into more of the RPM band, or controlling torque mutuplication for an instant.

FLUSH THE ATF+4.

It does NOT replace Dexron-II, or Dexron-III.

It says it on the bottle, but ATF+3 & ++4 are Chrystler fluids that have completely differen viscosities & friction ratings than Dexron. That stuff won't run a Dexron transmission for a minute & vice versa without causing major problems in shifting & slipping.

Were there problems before putting it in & are they worse now?

It was slipping due to how dirty the fluid was so I drained and installed a new filter. That is when the actual problem showed up.

I have a 92 ES300, when the trans is cold, and I come to a stop, it clunks into the low gear very hard, almost feels like someone hit me from behind.

I went in Sat and had the trans flushed and refilled. They also added some kind of WYNNS additive to help with hard shifting.

Anyone know what can cause that? a sicking valve or something?