What Should I Have Done For The 90k Mile Service?

InnovexGolf

Can anybody offer a list of things I should have my mechanic do for the 90K mile service on my "new" 1998 LS400?

Should I replace things like timing belt, etc or just have him "check" them? Is it even possible to "check" things like that?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, welcome to the group. I have a 98 also and am within 3-4 months of my 90K. Do a search on 90K and you'll see a wealth of info. Also, your service manual will tell you a lot. Basically, the timing belt should be replaced (so much work to get there to inspect it, you might as well replace it) and the fluids (coolant, oil, tranny, diff) should be changed. Many recommend that you replace the water pump since it's buried in with the timing belt. Some also recommend replacing cam seals. Let me know if you don't have a manual and I can give you what my manual says. Good luck.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kevin, welcome to the group. I have a 98 also and am within 3-4 months of my 90K. Do a search on 90K and you'll see a wealth of info. Also, your service manual will tell you a lot. Basically, the timing belt should be replaced (so much work to get there to inspect it, you might as well replace it) and the fluids (coolant, oil, tranny, diff) should be changed. Many recommend that you replace the water pump since it's buried in with the timing belt. Some also recommend replacing cam seals. Let me know if you don't have a manual and I can give you what my manual says. Good luck.

James

Indeed, It's highly suggested that the waterpump be replaced while it's already exposed when timing belt is done...It will save you money in the long run!

Call a dealership.....????

Might as well TELL them you have VERY deep pockets while you're at it.

Change the oil and filters, oil, air, pollen, and DRIVE...

Anything more is a waste of money.

calling a dealership is not a good idea:)

i would recommend replacing fuel and air filters, checking boots, changin plugs and wires

and checking the condition of the timing belt. lexus recommends doing t-belt at 90k but you can easily last all the way to 120k. (like it happend in my case). check for the noise when the engine is idling around 700-1000 rpm. if you hear whining it means that the bearing in one of the pulleys is going out and then changing tbelt is invevitable

otherwise, just enjoy the car

• 2 years later...

Well this is particularly poor, ill considered, advice. OP stated 90k and this is timing belt (TB) change interval for a Lexus.

I guess you don't have to change TB if you don't want but when the belt breaks and you hear the crushing noise of the 32 interference fit valves snapping off and jamming into the pistons perhaps your mind will flash forward to the $6000 check you'll be writing for an engine replacement.....

you guys do realize that you're discussing a thread that is nearly 3 years old, right?

you guys do realize that you're discussing a thread that is nearly 3 years old, right?

If the topic is still relevant, why not discuss it, some may not be aware.

i'd like to know how it all turned out though w/ the belt.

m

Very effective selling the fear :)

I agree that timing belt needs to be changed.

mine 04 LS430 is approaching 90k maintenance. I called around and had a price list range from $1000+ to $350+. The Lexus dealer was talking about $750 labor for T.B. and $250 labor for Water pump. I'm sure they have the technology but I'm not sure they will get my money for it :P

Anyways, several local toyota dealer would do the timing belt and water pump change with $350 for labor charge(5 hrs of labor charge). I may get the parts from ebay to save some bux as well (tell me if it is not a good idea to buy parts from ebay).

Is it necessary to have Oil and tranny fluid done at the same time?

Well this is particularly poor, ill considered, advice. OP stated 90k and this is timing belt (TB) change interval for a Lexus.

I guess you don't have to change TB if you don't want but when the belt breaks and you hear the crushing noise of the 32 interference fit valves snapping off and jamming into the pistons perhaps your mind will flash forward to the $6000 check you'll be writing for an engine replacement.....

By the way, does anyone know if there is an age limit on timing belts? Mine was replaced 30k miles ago in 2003.

you should be good - did you replace it yourself? i replaced mine 20K ago - and it was a goodyear gatorback - havent had any issues and it still looks newish.

Very effective selling the fear :)

I agree that timing belt needs to be changed.

mine 04 LS430 is approaching 90k maintenance. I called around and had a price list range from $1000+ to $350+. The Lexus dealer was talking about $750 labor for T.B. and $250 labor for Water pump. I'm sure they have the technology but I'm not sure they will get my money for it :P

Anyways, several local toyota dealer would do the timing belt and water pump change with $350 for labor charge(5 hrs of labor charge). I may get the parts from ebay to save some bux as well (tell me if it is not a good idea to buy parts from ebay).

Is it necessary to have Oil and tranny fluid done at the same time?

I just reacted to the flippant style of the (very) old post (WWEST) dismissing a TB change as irrelevant. I agree it’s not like a well timed clock that dies at 90k miles and maybe can be stretched a good deal past. The point is the downside risk is so high its not really worth it. If it were a non interference engine then the only downside is a tow fee and inconvenience when it finally breaks. So maybe $100 for the tow. On interference engine its 60x times that risk.

Many people read these so I just wouldn't want someone thinking timing belt replacement is not important or completely optional.

I plan to do my own next summer as I am at 75k miles right now.