When Purchasing A New Car....

coolwater

I love the fact that my 2000 ES300 has 16-inch wheels rather than regular 15-inch wheels. I know it's only an inch difference, but IMHO, cars always look MUCH better with an inch larger wheels; for most cars only 1-inch upgrade is enough.

However, when purchasing a new car, wheel upgrade is so expensive and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to do so--they charge a very high price for the upgrade and do not even let you keep original wheels and I don't think that's fair!

Therefore, I was thinking... if I don't buy the upgrade and buy larger wheels later as a separate purchase from the dealer, would they charge more than the upgrade price for same wheels? (wheel upgrade option usually cost $1,500 to over $2,000 and who would pay more than that for 4 wheels as separate purchase???) If they charge relatively same price, then, I can keep original wheels at the same price, right?

I love the fact that my 2000 ES300 has 16-inch wheels rather than regular 15-inch wheels. I know it's only an inch difference, but IMHO, cars always look MUCH better with an inch larger wheels; for most cars only 1-inch upgrade is enough.

However, when purchasing a new car, wheel upgrade is so expensive and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to do so--they charge a very high price for the upgrade and do not even let you keep original wheels and I don't think that's fair!

Therefore, I was thinking... if I don't buy the upgrade and buy larger wheels later as a separate purchase from the dealer, would they charge more than the upgrade price for same wheels? (wheel upgrade option usually cost $1,500 to over $2,000 and who would pay more than that for 4 wheels as separate purchase???) If they charge relatively same price, then, I can keep original wheels at the same price, right?

A 1 inch upgrade is plenty, The dealer always socks it to you when you take what they have for an upgrade ( unless of course it is what you like ) Buy the tires/wheel combo that best fits your liking.

You can always find aftermarket wheels for less than a dealer. They mark up the wheels a lot. Some people don't know anything about wheels and they seethem and say add it. They only care how much th payment goes up. If you're not familiar with what's out there, go shop at the better retail shops and make sure that the wheels you get clear everthing with the suspension all the way up and down.

You can always find aftermarket wheels for less than a dealer. They mark up the wheels a lot. Some people don't know anything about wheels and they seethem and say add it. They only care how much th payment goes up. If you're not familiar with what's out there, go shop at the better retail shops and make sure that the wheels you get clear everthing with the suspension all the way up and down.

Go to tirerack.com

I know tirerack.com is great, but I want to have genuine Lexus wheels AND save money. :pirate:

You led us to believe that you were going for the dealer installed aftermarket wheels not factory options. There would be no regular wheels if optional equipment was installed. If the car you purchased did not have the option and some other car did, they would swap the wheels so there would be no extra. Go to th parts counter and price the wheels and you'll have your answer.