Tranny Problem?

Change the dogbone (lateral) engine mount & front engine mount yourself.

Take this opportunity to know that > 90% of transmissions fail from burned, or low fluid levels.

Now let that sink in.

Alittle more.

Change you transmissin fluid!

YES! Finally, an answer to my post. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I get around. I have no tools, but I have money, although not enough to get a new car, I'm only 18. I'm most likely not going to change the engine mounts because I have no time much less experience and tools for that matter. To have someone do it for me, including the cost of the parts, how much will that round up to be? Also, why is AT fluid so important that it NEEDS to be changed? For some reason I saw it as something similar to an oil change - change it, but it wont necessarily need it urgently.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the "kick" also happens when I shift from Reverse to Drive, vice versa, and Park to Reverse. Also, Park to 2nd, but I haven't tried from Park to Low or Reverse to Low and Drive to Low. It does not happen when I shift from any gear to Neutral.

Because the life of the transmission depends on it, and that's the failure point in any automatic transmission.

$10 of fluid @ wallmart, a 10mm allen wrench & a $2 pan to drain the fluid in.

You'll need a 14mm wratchet & socket to change the mounts.

You should change atleast the lateral mount. The thing is... It handles all of the torque of the engine. When it wears out. All the torque must be absorbed by every other eninge mount. Which greatly accellerates their wear.

You can find cheap chinese replacements on ebay.

Call your local Toyota dealer, and independant mechanics to see what it would cost for someone else to do it.

There's a black mount that looks like a dog-bone (sorta) on the passanger's side of the engine that connects to the wheel well.

Get your girlfriend to shift the car in gear & you watch the thing. If the entire jumps more than about an inch or so. You *really* need to change the dogbone & atleast the front enough mount is probably shot, or getting there.

Because the life of the transmission depends on it, and that's the failure point in any automatic transmission.

$10 of fluid @ wallmart, a 10mm allen wrench & a $2 pan to drain the fluid in.

You'll need a 14mm wratchet & socket to change the mounts.

You should change atleast the lateral mount. The thing is... It handles all of the torque of the engine. When it wears out. All the torque must be absorbed by every other eninge mount. Which greatly accellerates their wear.

You can find cheap chinese replacements on ebay.

Call your local Toyota dealer, and independant mechanics to see what it would cost for someone else to do it.

There's a black mount that looks like a dog-bone (sorta) on the passanger's side of the engine that connects to the wheel well.

Get your girlfriend to shift the car in gear & you watch the thing. If the entire jumps more than about an inch or so. You *really* need to change the dogbone & atleast the front enough mount is probably shot, or getting there.

Read this : http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...l=dogbone+mount