Gs Or Ls

akewlguy

Looks like my wife loves the GS and LS.

Now I have to sorta figure out a way to get her leaning on the LS.

Found a sweet 96 that I want. There are also some 98 GS's but they are 2k+ more with 20k more miles then the LS.

Any guidance and your opinion is greatly appreciated!

The 96 is kewl? I do like the 98 the best, but for her they both are awesome!

Man, I've only been married a few months, but I've already learned to just let her pick it out, you buy it, and peace be restored to the kingdom of Kewl. You've been looking for a car for her for months now. This can't be helping your Christmas gift fund from her. Keep !Removed! around with her choice in cars, and she'll be the one driving your LS, and you'll be the one in the Taurus.

GS and LS..just depends on what she likes man. As you know, the LS is a much bigger car. Some girls don't like driving such a big car. When it comes down to these two choices, it's really up to the driver on which one they like better, as they're pretty close to the same. At least much closer than some of the other comparisions you've posted up over the past.

At least you haven't asked about Alfa's!

Looks like my wife loves the GS and LS.

Now I have to sorta figure out a way to get her leaning on the LS.

Found a sweet 96 that I want. There are also some 98 GS's but they are 2k+ more with 20k more miles then the LS.

Any guidance and your opinion is greatly appreciated!

The 96 is kewl? I do like the 98 the best, but for her they both are awesome!

As a married individual...I also say let her pick it out since you can't lose on either one. You're lucking out man.... Be thankful she doesn't insist on a Hummer or something else ridiculous she 'needs' to forde rivers on the way to JC Penney.

GS it is. Just going to get some blizzaks for the winter and all will be good. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah it has been a journey to select the right auto, but we started with an AUDI. So things are going well.

Congrats :cheers: She will love the GS.

Bought the GS. What a great Lexus. Fun mid size car. Cheers. Wife is happy!

congrat! nothing in whole world is more important than a happy wife! :D

comes spring, wife is going to get a red SC430 for which she has been longing quite a while.... B)

It's amazing that I'm going through this very same delima right now with my wife. The only thing is that she really does not care which one we get. I wrecked my 96 LS about 2 weeks ago. I've only had it for about 3 months and I got it for about $8,800 cash with about 118,000 on the OD. The insurance company gave me about 12 grand for the total and now i'm on the fence. My issue is that I want somethine that looks the most modern and in style since I know both cars are great vehicles. I won't something that looks modern and also say luxury. What do you think. Which one.... Oh, BTW I'm looking at 98 LS... Blk on Blk leather 120,000 miles with all records (2 owner) for $11,000 (private seller) or a 98 GS with around 100,000 miles for about the same price. What do you think?

It's amazing that I'm going through this very same delima right now with my wife. The only thing is that she really does not care which one we get. I wrecked my 96 LS about 2 weeks ago. I've only had it for about 3 months and I got it for about $8,800 cash with about 118,000 on the OD. The insurance company gave me about 12 grand for the total and now i'm on the fence. My issue is that I want somethine that looks the most modern and in style since I know both cars are great vehicles. I won't something that looks modern and also say luxury. What do you think. Which one.... Oh, BTW I'm looking at 98 LS... Blk on Blk leather 120,000 miles with all records (2 owner) for $11,000 (private seller) or a 98 GS with around 100,000 miles for about the same price. What do you think?

LS, no question.

LS, no question.

At those prices and miles, LS without a doubt.

Thanks for the input guys. I believ that I'm going to get the LS on Monday. What do you think about the black on black color scheme? Do you think those prices are too high for those miles? I'm in Atlanta

The GS was redesigned in 98, so you would be dealing with a "new" car in it's debut year. The LS however, was "updated" in 98, which improved the flaws in the previous 3 years' models. Not to mention, the LS is just more car in general, bigger, fatter, etc... I missed what kind of GS you were looking at, 300 or 400? If it's the 300, then absolutly get the LS400, if not for the reasons above, for the awesome V8 engine over the V6.

The price depends on the service done on the car.... you need to be particular, and verify certain things were done. The biggest one you will definetly want to make sure was done was the big 90k mile service, which includes the timing belt, water pump especially. If that was not done "don't take his word for it either, VERIFY it," then I would knock a good $1,500 off the price. You do NOT want to gamble with the timing belt. It brakes, you're engine is toast. You verify that it was done by 3 ways:

1) Give the Vin # to the lexus dealership, and they will check the mechanical history in their records. They keep awesome records! My report from them even had items done to the car, that weren't done by a lexus dealership in general.

2) Look at the engine bay, at the top of the front...you should see a sticker indicating when it was replaced, who replaced it, and at what mileage.

3) However, some dealerships don't put the sticker on the engine, but rather will STAMP the service done in the back of the owner's manual in the glove box.

To have the 90k service done for the timing belt and waterpump, ranges from $750+/- for an indi mechanic, to $1,500+ for a dealership to do it. I myself feel that certain things are worth the massive upcharge for a dealership to do them. These items are the repairs that, if done wrong, will total the car. So it is nice to have the backing of the dealership if that happens, instead of an indi. But, that's just my opinion. Timing belts are timing belts, nothing new or special about them.

PS: Black on Black in Hot-lanta = window tint and shade tree! I know...cooked my dna in Birmingham one too many times with black leather seats in the summer!

Thanks for the input guys. I believ that I'm going to get the LS on Monday. What do you think about the black on black color scheme? Do you think those prices are too high for those miles? I'm in Atlanta

Blk on Blk is going to be hot anywhere in the states at one time or another. I'm up here in minnesota with 2 (yes 2 Blk on Blk lexus) and in the summer they get hot every now and then, On the other side of the coin They stay a little warmer inside during the winter as long as the SUN is shining.

Black exteriors also demand more cleaning and time versus other colors. I’m not sure about 1998, but on this forum, people have stated that Lexus does not use clear coat on black colors, which makes it even more vulnerable to scratches and such.

As for black interiors, my friend’s 1996 LS400 with black leather is beginning to show white marks on the leather as it ages.

The color of my car’s exterior and interior is a bit odd, but it was used car with a good price tag and service history; it was not like I was buying it brand new and actually had options. ;)

Btw: akewlguy, congratulations on your purchase. This is like “pimp my ride” going from 1991 Taurus to a 1998 GS.......except your car has class and less TVs.....lol (in one episode they put TV’s on both sides of the front bumper of a Corolla)

yeah kewlguy, what flavor of gs is it? what color? options? please post pics when you can, i really think those gs were really sharp looking when you got used to them.....i remember here in socal ,when those came out the 400 was really, really jocked as one of the hottest,faster things out there......

A 98 LS has no clearcoat. Thats not really a negative since they're so easy to polish out.

As for black interiors, in my experience black ages better than any other color interior because it doesn't get dingy with age. Mine has 80k on it and still looks perfect, my dad's old 98 had 160k on it and it looked perfect, his 04 has...I actually have no idea what it has but its probably 60k and it looks perfect too.

I'd never buy a car without a black interior again. Lighter colors get boring, but the black always looks sharp.

I went to see the 98 LS today and all I can say is WOW. The guy whose owed the car since '00 has absolutely taking care of the car. He met me with a folder over an inch thick with every receipt he's ever gotten when getting work on the car. He had all the service done at a local lexus dealer including the 90,000 mile service and the 120,000 mile service (the car has 129,000). The timing belt cost a wopping $1,487. The interior is perfect and this car looks 10 times better than the LS that I just had totaled. I am so impressed and ready to load some pictures for everyone to see come Monday. This thing even has brand new tires. This is the car for me. When I talked to him he said that car didn't have one door ding because of how anal and carful he's been with it. And after inspecting it the only blimmish to be found is a couple unnoticeable rick chips. I'm looking forward to driving this baby.

Sounds like a great purchase.

The GS is a nice car, but I love my LS. Now after driving this cute fun little GS I really love my LS!

The GS we purchased had 117k on it and is in need of a timing change. Also I am pretty sure the lower left ball joint is bad, since 15k record stated, "Lower ball joint wear." Either way this car is much cheeper to repair then the LS. This GS is Black and tan. Very attractive and after reviewing prices I think Black paint adds at least a grand to final price. We ended up paying over 9k. That was below mid price on private party listing. After a week there is a few minor things wrong, but over all my wife loves the car.

I question if mostly men drive the LS and women like the GS or ES? I say this since the rear wheel drive and also the LS is much bigger. Any ladies driving the LS. Either way I am anxious to take some pictures of both side by side.

Driving the 98 GS has really made me smile and enjoy my LS. There is something about the large power that one feels with this car.

Well I'm glad you bought a GS. However, don't make it sound like the GS is a "girlie" car and the LS is a "man's" car. It doesn't work that way. My GS is of course the 400, with 300 horsepower, and it is the car I drive. My wife drives the LS, and so do I. If you place them side by side you'll see that they are quite similar in size, and almost the same weight. Not that it matters one little bit. They are both great cars, and neither needs to be denigrated by some foolish issue of gender.

I'd say, if anything, the GS is more masculine than the LS. I've heard more than a couple luxury sedan drivers call the LS feminine. I don't buy that crap, but I've heard it nonetheless.

Well my LS has a ton of leg room and the 98 GS does not. Either way my wife and everyone else I know considers the LS a luxury and the GS sporty.

It does seem that every GS I looked at a man owned the car. Maybe their all Girly Men. :P JK

women like cars that work...men like cars that can be worked on. unless you're in the DC Metro area and drive an ES, then men like cars that women want to ride, in. :cheers:

About the only car I consider a girlie car is the VW Convertibles...shave my chest, smack yo' momma, and call me Betty. I had some funny looks sent my way last week in S. Florida driving my folks PT GT Turbo Convertible. But, one spin-up of that h/o turbo, and I was the one smiling!

Good buy on the GS Kewl. You guys should be happy with that car for quite a while, unless the flex-neo-rod breaks, then you're screwed.

women like cars that work...men like cars that can be worked on. unless you're in the DC Metro area and drive an ES, then men like cars that women want to ride, in. :cheers:

About the only car I consider a girlie car is the VW Convertibles...shave my chest, smack yo' momma, and call me Betty. I had some funny looks sent my way last week in S. Florida driving my folks PT GT Turbo Convertible. But, one spin-up of that h/o turbo, and I was the one smiling!

Good buy on the GS Kewl. You guys should be happy with that car for quite a while, unless the flex-neo-rod breaks, then you're screwed.

" flex-neo-rod " :lol::lol::lol:

women like cars that work...men like cars that can be worked on. unless you're in the DC Metro area and drive an ES, then men like cars that women want to ride, in.:cheers:

" flex-neo-rod " :lol::lol::lol:

They're right, you're gonna be happy either way but don't go as far as saying satisfied! I owned 3 LS's before buying a GS. It was summer and i had an itch for something sporty. As nice as the car was it did lack that Rock solid feel of the mother ship! It wasn't long before i couldn't take the separation anziety and got another LS....If you love sweet looks than the GS is right up your alley, BUT if you truely enjoy the ride and drive experience then NOTHING compares to the LS!!!! It's a matter of opinion but the numbers don't lie ;)