Replacing A Drivers Side Headlight Bulb

gogogadget

My drivers side headlight bulb is out, and I'd like to repair it myself as the nearest lexus dealership doesn't have an open appointment for a bit more than a week.

The guide that I've found so far

(http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=191&c=7 )

all of the pictures have expired, so I can't view them.

If anyone could offer me some insight on the best way to get at the headlight bulb I'd be much appreciative.

(If I remove the battery, will the radio go into theft detterent mode and shut off? How can I prevent this)

Welcome to the Club.

It's not that difficult. It should be an H4 Bulb, but you can look it up.

I would recommend removing the battery so that you can make it easy on yourself. If you remove the battery, the theft system will also disconnect. Just make sure all your doors are unlocked before you disconnect. You'll have to reprogram your radio and clock again.

Disconnect the battery:

-Negative first

-Positive next

Next you'll take the Battery Brace-off, and remove the battery.

Turn the light bulb counter-clockwise or until it turns, and pull it out, and disconnect the connector from the bulb.

I would suggest not touching the glass on the new bulb otherwise you'll have to clean it.

That should do it.

Good luck

Welcome to the Club.

It's not that difficult. It should be an H4 Bulb, but you can look it up.

I would recommend removing the battery so that you can make it easy on yourself. If you remove the battery, the theft system will also disconnect. Just make sure all your doors are unlocked before you disconnect. You'll have to reprogram your radio and clock again.

Disconnect the battery:

-Negative first

-Positive next

Next you'll take the Battery Brace-off, and remove the battery.

Turn the light bulb counter-clockwise or until it turns, and pull it out, and disconnect the connector from the bulb.

I would suggest not touching the glass on the new bulb otherwise you'll have to clean it.

That should do it.

Good luck

Thanks very much for the help (and the welcome)

Everything went quite perfectly and both headlights are now fully operational!

(As an added bonus, the check engine light had been on, falsely, even after a trip to the dealer a few weeks ago, and the removal of the battery reset the computer and turned it off.)

For the record, the driver side headlight bulb replacement procedure for gen 1 (90-92) LS400 outlined in the U.S. spec gen 1 owners manual does not require the removal of the battery. The gen 1 LS400 uses 9004 bulbs in the headlights. The gen 2 U.S. spec LS400 (93-94) use 9003/H4 bulbs in the headlights.

But replacing the drivers side headlight bulb without removing the headlight unit works too. Replacing the bulb per the instructions in the manual requires following the instructions exactly -- otherwise the side light can break when removed and the headlight aim can be messed up.

I once replaced the headlight bulbs in my 90 LS numerous times in one evening while testing the effectiveness of various bulb brands and wattages. Once I understood how to do it per the instructions in the manual, I could replace the bulbs in both headlights in about five minutes.

• 12 years later...
13 hours ago, Hangman said:

Drivers side is simple, how about the passenger side that nobody comments on!!

The method documented in the service manuals for both passenger and driver side for all LS400's is to remove the headlight units from the body.  As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread from - OMG, over 12 years ago! - I did it numerous times in one evening while testing a variety of bulbs on a 1990 LS400.

The side light modules outboard of and adjacent to the headlight units often become brittle as they age and are subject to damage when removed and replaced.  Take care and pull the side light modules forward to remove them after removing the retaining screws.

Instructions on how to replace headlight bulbs on the 1990 LS400 start on page 203 of the owners manual which can be viewed at https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM50401U/pdf/6-4_212.pdf

Replacement of headlights on other LS400 model years is similar but, if I remember correctly, the instructions were omitted from owners manuals for later model years.

The main thing I learned from my experimentation with a variety of aftermarket halogen headlight bulbs (e.g. Silverstar) is that none of them provided a useful improvement and some of them (e.g. Silverstar) had very short lives.