Power Steering And Tranny Question

mattward70

Hey Guys,

Bought my 95 LS about 6 months ago and loved it. Got it from a dealer auction for $5,800 with 130k miles on it (black on black) and took it right to our reliable indie and got timing belt, plugs, water pump replaced for about 750 more. Since then I haven't put a dime into it until today.

Today I spent $113. To preface, my power steering was acting up. When I turned it it made a terrible grinding sound. I thought the pump was on its last limb. We took it to our guy and he checked it, cleaned the screen he says asked for $40 and it turns with the slightest touch of my pinky now! I am so happy... We then took it to the tire place, got a leak fixed because the psi kept falling to 20, then to the gas station and put 20 gallons in it, then the car wash....and there is the $113....couldn't be happier. But here are the problems...

1. Our mechanic said there is a TINY leak in the PS pump...but said just to keep a bottle of ATF with me and fill it up, but I shouldn't need to for "months" and he said I shouldnt replace anything because it is so small. The question is... can this small leak damage any other parts of the car, such as the alternator??? What kind of cost am I looking at for a new pump if I decide to just play it safe? I really trust our mechanic though, we've used him for years and he has never burned us.

2. When the car is cold and I turn it on, i start backing up sometimes it pops into neutral for like...5 seconds, then back into reverse. Is there anything I can do to prevent the transmission from failing completely one day? I think I should change the transmission fluid, but could it be something else? The color of the fluid is a red brown, almost dirty color. The follow question is to just change the fluid or flush it? I have heard horror stories of flushing it....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, this forum is awesome and I love my fun car.

Matt

Well, you need to replace the tranny fluid and filter maybe not do a power flush but flushing it the old fashion way. wwwlexls.com have a tutorial on this.

C. PR

Hey Guys,

Bought my 95 LS about 6 months ago and loved it. Got it from a dealer auction for $5,800 with 130k miles on it (black on black) and took it right to our reliable indie and got timing belt, plugs, water pump replaced for about 750 more. Since then I haven't put a dime into it until today.

Today I spent $113. To preface, my power steering was acting up. When I turned it it made a terrible grinding sound. I thought the pump was on its last limb. We took it to our guy and he checked it, cleaned the screen he says asked for $40 and it turns with the slightest touch of my pinky now! I am so happy... We then took it to the tire place, got a leak fixed because the psi kept falling to 20, then to the gas station and put 20 gallons in it, then the car wash....and there is the $113....couldn't be happier. But here are the problems...

1. Our mechanic said there is a TINY leak in the PS pump...but said just to keep a bottle of ATF with me and fill it up, but I shouldn't need to for "months" and he said I shouldnt replace anything because it is so small. The question is... can this small leak damage any other parts of the car, such as the alternator??? What kind of cost am I looking at for a new pump if I decide to just play it safe? I really trust our mechanic though, we've used him for years and he has never burned us.

2. When the car is cold and I turn it on, i start backing up sometimes it pops into neutral for like...5 seconds, then back into reverse. Is there anything I can do to prevent the transmission from failing completely one day? I think I should change the transmission fluid, but could it be something else? The color of the fluid is a red brown, almost dirty color. The follow question is to just change the fluid or flush it? I have heard horror stories of flushing it....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, this forum is awesome and I love my fun car.

Matt