2001 Rx 300 Removal Of Door Panel

DougT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also like to know how to remove the interior door molding so that I can repair a broken bolt in the exterior door latch. My issue is with the rear passenger side and my RX300 is a 2002 model. Any help here would be great! :) I would like to know what kind of tools I am going to need and also, where to apply force if required to pop the panel off.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I need help.

My 00 RX300 passemger window works intermittenly. It rolls down but takes several push/pull on the switch to get it roll up. Do you have any idea what causes that?

I tried to remove the door panel but I can not pull it off the door frame. All screws and plastic rivets on the door panel were removed. It seems like the panel got stuck to the door at the door handle on the panel. I checked around the panel but did not see anything that could be removed to unlatch the panel off the door frame. Please help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nghia Ho

The passenger window is down and will not go up. I have removed all of the screws and retainers from the door panel but can not get the door latch and locking mecanism free. Can anybody help?

DWTompson

Hi Doug,

Did you get your problem resolve?

I have the same problem and would like to have any tips to fix it.

Thanks,

Nghia Ho

(nghiaho58@yahoo.com)

I believe there is a little plastic piece that you have to pop to access the screw, also under the door switches there is another screw...You have to pry the piece out from the top very carefully, there are plastic tabs that grip the arm rest....Sorry I wish I had a picture...

I believe there is a little plastic piece that you have to pop to access the screw, also under the door switches there is another screw...You have to pry the piece out from the top very carefully, there are plastic tabs that grip the arm rest....Sorry I wish I had a picture...

Thanks Lenore,

Yes, I removed the little plastic cover right behind the door handle and removed the screw. I also tried to pop loose the wood alike panel at the switches but it did not come off. I was afraid to break it. You are right, there must be at least one screw hidden somewhere near the door handle but I could not find it. I can lift whole door panel up (after removed all visible screws and rivets) slightly but can not pull it off the door frame. I tried few times this morning and gave up before I loose my temper to break the whole thing :(

Nghia

The screw is under the switch panel, put some masking tape on the vinyl next to the wood grain, then use a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry the wood switch panel out.. I put a putting knife under the screw driver to protect the vinyl from damage... There is a clip at the top and bottom of the switch panel but I cannot remember whether it is on the side or top and bottom...I have only done the drivers door, but I assume the passenger side is the same...

• 2 years later...
The passenger window is down and will not go up. I have removed all of the screws and retainers from the door panel but can not get the door latch and locking mecanism free. Can anybody help?

DWTompson

Hello Doug,

I have the same problem. I spent a lot of time trying to get at the motor and it ended up I didn't have to. I was able to "hot wire" and cross the window wires from the back of the passenger front switch connector and when I activated the switch the window went back up. Basically the two motor wires come up to the connector on the back of the switch, so if you put 12 volts on the motor wires directly the motor will turn. Reverse the polarity of the wires and the motor goes in the opposite direction. I didn't have to take the door apart at all - but I figured all this out after I did take it apart.

I used wires with small alligator clips and I was able to get on the pins of the connectors and when I activated the switch the window went up. This was a temporary solution, but the window is up.

The passenger switch on my car would only output voltage to make the window go down.

When I pull up on the switch I get zero voltage, so the window would not go back up.

Because the driver front window was also starting to give me a problem (didn't want to come up), I thought that the driver switch module was the main problem.

I bought a new driver switch module on Ebay but that didn't solve the passenger window problem, so now I just bought the passenger switch module on Ebay.

The driver side window seems fine now.

I now have the passenger switch disconnected so the window stays up until I fix it.

Both front windows were flaky for a while, but the passenger window went down one day and would not come back up.

The passenger switch was continuously outputting a voltage to the motor - basically telling it to go down. The motor was hot and it should never get hot. That's when I realized that the switch was constantly on and I pulled the connector - and from that I realized that if I reversed the wires the window would go up. Again after it went up I pulled the connector and that's where I am at now.

What seems to complicate this mess is the pinch protection circuit. There is a reset procedure in the manual (I don't have a manual so I found crude instructions for the procedure on-line) but after I did the procedure the widow worked great for about 4 up and down cycles, and then the window went down on it's own and stayed there. I assumed it's the pinch circuit that is confused.

That's when I took the door apart.

I don't know enough about the pinch protection circuit - so I figured I would replace the two front modules and hope that fixes it.

The driver switch had a broken spring but that was just a mechanical thing.

I get the passenger module in a few days and I hope it works!

Hope this helps some.

Look at the manual at the reset procedure - maybe it will work for you, but I believe the window has to work (it needs to go up) for you to do the procedure....

It's all very frustrating.

I have 166K miles on the car, and I usually drive with the windows open (I'm in Florida) so I use the switches all the time.

I figured they are shot.

Rich

• 4 years later...

Many thanks to the contributors. With your help, I am starting the door removal process, now.

I have attached a link to a picture indicating the visible fastener locations and types.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/gallery/image/2814-fixingthedoor/

I broke both plastic pop rivets in the process of extracting them with a pry bar. I will have to replace them. The link below explains how to release the rivets without breaking them. Just press the center button on the rivets in to allow the wings to retract. Then the rivet pulls out with little effort.

Thomas gave instructions for removing the simulated wood switch plate. I found the following link to be very helpful for this part: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/288373-door-panel-removal-diy.html

I also have a set of pictures for the removal process here.