Yankee Candle "car Jar" Air Freshener

LexKid630

My niece has had one of those yankee candle "car jar" air fresheners hanging on the shift knob in her 2002 rx300 for a few months now. Today she told me that it MELTED the black plastic trim (between the wood & the P R N D 2 L etc plastic panel). I looked at it & it did actually melt it! :o

How can an air freshener melt plastic? The question i have is, who's paying to have the plastic replaced?

Anyone ever hear of this before?

Thanks for any input :)

I photoshoped (on paint LOL) a picture of how she had it set up. This is my rx300 though (same thing). The arrow is pointing to the black plastic trim that's melted.

post-13420-1164334511_thumb.jpg

well actually, you know those plug air fresheners that you put in your home, they use heat to warm up the scent which is in wax like form, and then the smell can radiate around the room. im guessing this air freshener uses the same kind of technology. perhaps the heat was too much...does it run on battery power?

then tell her to use the ones that are the gel inside a plastic form. These last longer and the gel can't contact any surface. They are smaller, too.

Contact the Yankee Candle customer service and see if they have any other reports. Report it and see if they will replace it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

steviej

• 7 months later...

What ever happened to your niece's car? Did Yankee Candle step up to fix? I just had the same thing happen to my Volvo!

My niece has had one of those yankee candle "car jar" air fresheners hanging on the shift knob in her 2002 rx300 for a few months now. Today she told me that it MELTED the black plastic trim (between the wood & the P R N D 2 L etc plastic panel). I looked at it & it did actually melt it! :o

How can an air freshener melt plastic? The question i have is, who's paying to have the plastic replaced?

Anyone ever hear of this before?

Thanks for any input :)

I photoshoped (on paint LOL) a picture of how she had it set up. This is my rx300 though (same thing). The arrow is pointing to the black plastic trim that's melted.

Make sure you keep the gel fresheners off of any surfaces, ie: not placed on a flat dash, near any wood, etc. They're meant to be hung up. In the hot summer, that goo inside can melt & damage surfaces. I don't even use the gel kind in the summer months for this reason. The chemicals in air fresheners are not meant to be in contact with vehicle surfaces, that is why there are strings to hang them up away from anything.

I hung the air freshener on my gear shift on this past Thursday, the temps were 70 degrees and below all weekend, and this morning I noticed that it had melted the plastic!! The air freshener was a Yankee Candle "Car Jar", just a standard-looking cardboard air freshener, not a gel-type. If it can melt plastic, can you imagine what those chemicals are doing to our lungs as we inhale the "fresh" scent?

That's why you guys should go for the Asian air freshners. lol. Brand is SHELDAN, or MY SHELDAN. You can't hang it, but it's in a small container that smells good, and wont melt all over the car. ;)

Thank you, I would appreciate hearing about her outcome. I still can't believe that a silly little air freshener could do so much damage!

I'm actualy not sure what happened. I told her she should contact the company but i haven't really spoken to her since. I'll ask her tomorrow when our family's together.